I was sent this yesterday, pretty cool clip.

I must admit, i wouldn't have done a dry start up on the poor ol thing. (I would soak the cylinders first.) Spin it over with the plugs out.... you get the picture.

I would just love to know the history/story of how the car came to live in England. Did it go there from new.... who owned it, why was it parked up for so long. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYzLHJPmE98

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Neat to see & hear it fire up.  I've had quite a few parts cars fire up and sound like that.  I grinned when he went back to the clock … they will often go around a bit and stop if you tap one that is dead. They have a spring loaded mechanism that pulls them around and once a contact that look like points makes contact it will fling the spring back out and repeat over and over … that is if the mechanicals are not worn our, and their is not too much dust and dirt in their clogging things up.

Yeah, first thing through my mind was.... good luck and see how its going next week. :-)

I find it hard to believe they ran in on a tank full of 22 year old petrol, but it was definitely running without the I.V. hooked up.

Hey Ronnie,

Something maybe to with the quality of the fuel? (I don't really know)

I have noticed, you guys in the States seem to be having stale fuel issues a fair bit. I know here in Oz, we use to be able to start up an old car on old stale fuel and they would run ok.

I haven't done that, in the last 10 or 15 years though, so it may not happen these days. 

For sure the recent ethanol laced fuel (fortunately I have access to ethanol  free gas) we get here gets rank pretty quick, but I just don't see how any fuel sitting in a tank for 20 plus years can be worth a crap. I guess as long as it burns without gumming things up, it's all good.

Just poor judgement not prepping the engine and pre lubing it prior to spinning the engine to have the oil pump push fresh oil through the engine 

the wear and damage caused by this start up as opposed to some lube work could be  very costly — down the road - literally !

this video reminds me of the —-Woody Allen’s movie —were they find a old VW in a cave with 3 inches of dirt on it and they get in and it starts right up — an LOL moment for sure 

just a testiment to the reliability the air cooled VWs were know for in there day 

my dad had a VW when there were —only 50 in the USA 

you know the car the snow plow drivers use to get to the plows 

The performance of the VWs in the major NY snow storms was just Amazing 

Dad always made it to his factory in bad snow storms that was  a half hour away in good weather ( two hours in bad ) 

Dad attended  3 day endurance road races in Connecticut and all the radical race cars were basically broken down along the side of the road and the VWs kept winning the 3 day event over and over 

My wife purchased a VW and drove thru a lot of Europe for months basically on two spark plugs when the engine was finally checked and tuned up 

i loved watching the tires fill up and hold air as I have never been near a car that has been stored for that long requiring that much attention to get moving 

very interesting to observe 

What was in that persons mind to keep the car and park it where it now sits ?

is it because he had future plans for that car that just never happened —I would think 

He had to be very fond of that car to keep it nearby —forever 

enjoy 

No matter what the reason - taping that clock and watching the second hand start to move —with the car in that condition ———IS A MIND BLOWING MOMENT for me  ! ! ! ! ! ! ! 

Just get a warm fuzzy feeling as the Frankenstein Monster begins to come back to life 

my clock still working in my car since new — does FREEK ME OUT - in a good way of coarse 

Enjoy 

Came across this today and having a good look at it on Saturday.

Pick the oddity on this one.....

OH BUGGER, hey Jason, can you make the picture look normal please.

Aussie Smurf Caddy

fixed. Just click Edit, tick on center and select a size.. 721 is the default max size.

Must be a Park Avenue ;)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

1964 429 & Trans For Sale

Started by Russ in For Sale 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

Anyone in need of a 429 & trans? Was running when pulled from car but had low compression on a few cylinders if memory serves me right. Engine/trans are in Phoenix. Russ, 562.858.6926Continue

Center bearing - replacement.

Started by Anders in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Norman Silverman 4 hours ago. 22 Replies

Had some sound from the propeller shaft and as the rear wheel bearings just been replaced I thought it would be the center bearing. Removed the propeller shaft and checked the center bearing (as per…Continue

1964 coupe de ville trunk v emblem

Started by ANGELO MARTINEZ in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by James jacques 10 hours ago. 1 Reply

hello I am looking for the v emblem on a 1964 coupe de ville trunk  v emblemthank youContinue

'63 De Ville for Sale

Started by Aaron in For Sale on Friday. 0 Replies

Hello everyone,I have a '63 Coupe DeVille for sale. Car runs and drives, and is located in Pueblo, Colorado. Work completed includes: rebuilt 390 from a '61, rebuilt transmission (dyno'd), new break…Continue

Blog Posts

64 Recirc/Fresh Air Door Actuator replaced; FROM THE INSIDE.

Posted by Norman Silverman on February 4, 2019 at 11:21pm 8 Comments

I am happy to report that I have successfully replaced the Fresh Air/Recirc door actuator that is located on the blower box-and have done so without having to remove the blower box. I did it by taking out the glove box and attacking it from the back.  It took several days, LOTS of patience and some band-aids, but it is done. THE most difficult part -BY FAR- is to remove and then replace the screw that sits on the actuator arm, connecting it to the fresh…

Continue

Flashers

Posted by Mike Petrey on January 13, 2019 at 12:25pm 7 Comments

Where do the flashers go in my 64 Deville Convert.  I'm thinking that's why both turn signals stopped working.

Source for Motor mounts and Trans mounts 1964 SDV

Posted by Norman Silverman on January 9, 2019 at 4:23pm 4 Comments

Hi.

Where is the best place to purchase good quality motor mounts/trans mounts for my 1964 SDV? I see that Rock Auto has them for $8 and change, and others for $24 and change. Big difference. Is there a better place to buy them from?

Thanks

Norm

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service