Just signed up here, but already have a first question.

I spent some time decoding the VIN and especially body tag info on my 64 DeVille, but I have remained with one mystery. 

My DeVille has Trim code 49, which I cannot find anywhere. All the sources I have found so far define codes 40 thru 48. By looks my Cadillacs interior looks like code 40: black cloth with white leather bolsters, which correlates to the matador red exterior.

Does anyone know of an explanation?

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IS there an SO on the right... cannot see the entire tag. Could have been a special order. Trim 49 is not a standard trim for the 1964 6357 body style per the specification book. Below is a scan  of the sheet. Click to enlarge.

Hi Jason, thanks for the reply. I found exactly that page in the GM heritage library but it deepened my questions :)

Here is the full tag :

Hi Stijn,

Your car has an interesting body plate. It identifies the car as a 64 model (64-6357) but if you notice in the left corner, the car was build in the second week of June (06B). It could be that this car was build in 1963 which does have the trim code 49 for that year which is "Rose Cambria cloth and Rose leather" which is a color option for the 63-6329, 39, 57, 89 models. As Jason said it could be a special order seeing that this trim code was only available for the 1963 models. 

Hi Clifford. Thanks for your insight! It's weird huh?

I was eyeballing other model or year codes too, but nothing really makes sense.

Heres a view of the interior :

For the 1963 to 1964 production year, 1963 Model year Cadillacs were produced through July 1963, no cars were produced in August 1963 while they stopped for retooling, and 1964 production model year car production started in September 1963.  This is not a June 1963 produced car but a June 1964. The body style production # on the Body ID tage states 33,592 which is consistent with the  June 1964 time frame. This car, as Clifford originally indicated was built 2nd week June 1964. 

Just fyi. A handy book for those that want to drill down into the production details are the Annual Ward's Annual Automotive Yearbook which collects tons of info like this. 
For example  Here are some stats for the June 1963 to Oct 1964 Cadillac Production totals.

June 1963 - 13,560
July 1963 - 13,864
August 1963 - 0
September 1963 - 8,861
Oct 1963 - 17,189

My guess is that your car doesn't have the original interior.

On your body plate its printed: ACC EYBV

From the Help section on this site you will find the Body Name Plate. On that page you will se:

ACC = Accessories

E = soft ray tinted glass

Y = 6 way power seat adjusters

B = rear window defogger

V = front seat belts

Now when looking on the picture of your interior its obvious that your front seat does not have a 6 way power seat.

Also look on the non-standard leather upholstery text, from Jasons picture above.

Unfortunately I do not own a 1964 Dealer Data Book so I am reading what Jason has provided here on this site. And I can't seem to find that particular page. Maybe that page could give you some additional information.

Anders, not sure how you can determine there are no 6 way power seat adjusters unless there are some other pictures I have not seen. For the Coupe de Ville, the 6 way switch would be up on the arm rest switch plate, not on the lower seat trim as found in the Series 62.
Page 70 in the spec manual lists special leather interior codes, where all are seat inserts are leather (Stijn's is obviously fabric), and there are a few additional trim codes but none or 49.

That looks like the standard 40 interior and my guess is the Body Name (ID) Plate simply has  a mis-stamp.

In my current 1964 Series 62 the control is placed on the left side of the seat. In my 1966 DeVille Convertible the control was placed in the same position. I didn't know that there was a separate position for 1964 DeVille as I never owned one.

I can see the point having it on the arm rest from a customer point of view. But having all cables go through the door, constantly being exposed to bending will create problems. Controlling the seat at the seat will reduce current and cabling. I guess that's the reason why the control is placed on the seat in later years.

Never seen the spec manual so don't know whats in it. Just picked up page 70 from your picture and hoping it could shed some light.

Cadillac being the top of the line in the 60's I would be surprised that a mis-stamp could have happen. Its of course possible but should have been picked up. Are there any other cars with a known incorrect/mis-stamped Body Plate?

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Question: comfortable highway speed?

Started by Mark Geertsma in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 4 hours ago. 13 Replies

What is your preferred cruising speed on highways with your classic Cadillac? What I mean is the speed that allows for relatively quiet and comfortable cruising without slowing down other traffic.…Continue

Tags: speed, Highway

Stainless steel side trim

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Charles Fares 10 hours ago. 2 Replies

Have you noticed the stainess steel side trim on the CDV the convertibles and other models in our years cars is in the-- EXACT PERFECT location to help prevent any damage happening to the paint on…Continue

Tags: trim, side, Stainless

1964 NOS fabric for sale

Started by Steven Aaron in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Steven Aaron 14 hours ago. 1 Reply

NOS Dark green cloth used in de Villes. 1-2/3 yards.Please text me is you are interested. $50 +shipping. Thanks, StevenContinue

Dealer Installed Options

Started by Ronnie Lay in General Discussion. Last reply by Kevin Campbell yesterday. 19 Replies

I just dragged a 64 Fleetwood home from a field in Texas and it has some options that are not on the ID tag. It has twilight sentinel, cruise control and a white painted top that are not noted on…Continue

Blog Posts

Flashers

Posted by Mike Petrey on January 13, 2019 at 12:25pm 7 Comments

Where do the flashers go in my 64 Deville Convert.  I'm thinking that's why both turn signals stopped working.

Source for Motor mounts and Trans mounts 1964 SDV

Posted by Norman Silverman on January 9, 2019 at 4:23pm 2 Comments

Hi.

Where is the best place to purchase good quality motor mounts/trans mounts for my 1964 SDV? I see that Rock Auto has them for $8 and change, and others for $24 and change. Big difference. Is there a better place to buy them from?

Thanks

Norm

Fuel loss in Carburetor

Posted by Ian Osborne on December 29, 2018 at 11:24pm 16 Comments

Lately if I haven't started my '63 in four or five days it seems that the carburetor has gone dry. The starter cranks for an extended period of time and the engine doesn't come close to firing. I have resorted to pouring a little fuel into the carb to save the starter and battery. This gets it started and it runs fine. It also starts fine after sitting a short while - a couple hours or so.

The fuel pump is new and there is always fuel in the glass bowl of the fuel filter. This, along…

Continue

interior

Posted by John Rueff on December 19, 2018 at 4:24pm 3 Comments

I would like to upholster my caddy back to original.   Does anyone know where I can look at some pictures or photos.  Also, how hard is it to remove the dash?  thanks

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service