sold

Views: 497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Willing to part with the Cast Iron Ring Adapter??

Yes I will consider selling just the cast iron adapter ring. I know they are hard to find undamaged.

PLEASEE!! I bought my first Caddy 6months ago and just found this crack yesterday.

I honestly don’t know what to do to fix it besides replace it. I hope nothing else is broken. Not sure if the bell housing being a lil bent will affect the rear main.

Text me if you wish to chat more details. 

JOSH

Josh, From the many 1964 parts and driver cars I have seen, this is a more typical stress crack. If the adaptor ring to engine, and transmission to adaptor ring bolts are all torqued appropriately, AND there are no other issues that seem related to this, I would probably leave as it until you pull the engine out again. With that said, these ARE HARD TO FIND! And, if Alexander will sell his, you might want to jump on his offer. I know I have at least a 1/2 dozen contacts looking for these on my Wait List, and they are getting harder to find uncracked as the years go by. I remember, probably around 2005 I had about 6 on hand now as mentioned I am minus 6 in terms of customer needs.

Back to your crack, the adaptor ring is serving it's purpose to "adapt" the "Buick Borrowed" transmission to the back of the engine, and server as a spacer so just the sight of this stress crack doesn't cause me that much concern, but if there were other issues, especially vibration and noise, etc, I would look to find the cause. As Russ, mentioned, you should have a starter bracket that braces the starter to the RH side of the engine block. If it is mentioned, the torque of the starter can crack the ring but often in different location than yours. Here is a picture of that starter bracket:

Thank you for the knowledge. It leaks oil but I think that due to the real main seal. It seems to be crack from bottoming out and or being scraped. I do need the rear main seal done as well.
Do you know any other issue that may occur when replacing the ring? Will I need to replace any thing else? Also, pulling the engine is only way to replace? Sounds like a stupid question but when replacing the rear main seal will it be done the same way? Just trying to size up the amount of labor.

For the adaptor ring removal, you could either pull the engine with adaptor ring attached and then remove adaptor ring from back of engine, or drop the transmission and remove ring off back of engine still sitting in place.  If you need to also address a leaking front transmission seal, dropping the transmission might make more sense as you could still get to the rear engine seal but the oil pan has to come out which requires loosening a few items from below as described in the 14 steps on page 9-23 section 19.a in your shop manual. Just to NOTE: If you do not have a shop manual that is a must for removing engine, transmission or any work on your car.  Removing engine or transmission is a more involved process, but nothing anyone with basic mechanic skills couldn't tackle, especially stepping through the Shop Manual.

So thankful for this site! Thank you
A few months ago with a little help, was the first time I pulled a transmission to replace the flex plate. It's really not hard but the bolts on the top side of the adapter ring are very hard to reach. I made 2 trips to Harbor Freight to get the right wrench and you will need a transmission jack. As Jason said you must have the shop manual. While I had the transmission pulled back, I removed the adaptor ring to paint it and dropped the oil pan and painted that too. Russ was able to provide me with a starter bracket which was missing from my car.

Interesting. I was just doing some research on the difference between a flexplate vs a flywheel. Could this be a reason why every once in a while if I come to hard stop my tranny will jump into neutral? Ill run it through the gears and it will fall back into gear.

In addition to the adaptor ring replacement, is there a way to protect that area, like a Skid plate? I feel that Im just going to scrap it up eventually.

What do you think ,the crack you are looking at is causing an issue of some kind
Do you have symtoms of something going on ?
Oil leak but mostly due to rear main seal

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Bucket seats

Started by Gregory Lewis Freeman in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Chris Codd 3 minutes ago. 11 Replies

I'm looking fo a set of 63 64 eldo or devilleBuckets with console and door seat controllersGreg 2133059550.Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 2 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

1963/64 Cadillac Chapter February 2020 Newsletter Posted

Started by Jason Edge in Newsletters. Last reply by Jeff Kinzler 6 hours ago. 2 Replies

I have just completed and posted the February 2020, 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Newsletter to our…Continue

Convertible Top Cylinder Removal

Started by Brian Wiseman in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Chris Codd yesterday. 7 Replies

Just wanted to check before removing my 1964 convertible top cylinders.  I have the instructions from the 1964 shop manual.  I have identified, in Red #s, the bolts in the procedure with the images. …Continue

Blog Posts

Looking for 63 Convertible / Coupe rear side trim

Posted by Gene McIlroy on January 24, 2020 at 12:18pm 0 Comments

Want to find a good straight dent free rear side trim for my 1963 Convertible.  I have both sides but they do not match.  Wanting to get them to match.  I am attaching a photo of the two trim sided that I have really wanting the squared off trim if I can get it.  Let's see what you have,…

Continue

Road Trip

Posted by Ray Schick on January 21, 2020 at 9:00pm 7 Comments

Got a little cabin fever this morning,decided to take a road trip to Hickory Corners Michigan, The Gilmore Museum. It’s about 2 1/2 hours from my home . Place is awesome,I was really impressed.

9A648CFF-E965-4CE0-8E91-8E194AC70DED.jpeg…

Continue

1964 429 Aluminum Front Cover For Sale!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on January 12, 2020 at 3:30pm 1 Comment

• I wound up with an extra front cover for my '64 and offering it for sale.

Purchased from a knowledgable part supplier with thorough hands-on knowledge of 63-64 Cadillac engines, who checked the part before sending it to me. The oil pump driven gearSee S bore and the pressure relief piston bore are both .002 over and within the .005…

Continue

Looking for the Rochester Choke Tube ...

Posted by Mack on January 10, 2020 at 1:14am 3 Comments

37E244B6-71C7-4857-8D50-1BD8C48077A4.jpeg

Looking to buy the choke tube for my Rochester... anybody have one for Sale???

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service