I have a ‘64 Series 62 Coupe. I’m going to rebuild the factory 429. Has anyone used a company where you ship your engine for the rebuild? I first checked a few local machine shops and there is a pretty significant difference in price between local shops and the one I found online where would ship the engine. The locals are approximately 50% higher in cost. I be interested to hear my fellow Chapter members thoughts and experiences.

Views: 119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Find a machine shop you feel you can trust, by way of recommendations or similar. (Not the cheapest)

Use products/parts, that are of a good quality.... (not the cheapest or dearest)

You can't rebuilt an engine at 50% off, unless they aren't doing all that's required.

Some things, are labour (Oz spelling) intensive. A good example, take the rings out of the packet, fit them correctly to all 8 jam tins and in they go VS fit each compression ring to the corresponding cylinder and measure the gap, then file each ring to an exact tolerance.

8 Pistons = 16 compression rings, each one filed to a specific gap so the engine goes together correctly.

A couple of years ago, I rebuilt my 429 and there is a two part thread on here about it and Jason has a story on his as well..... he's even more OCD than me when working on his 64.

Prior to ours engine leaving the engine stand, I knew i had oil pressure and more importantly, oil feed to every aspect of the engine.

I even witness marked the lifters and pushrods to ensure, each and every one, was rotating as they should, when the engine was turned over by hand.

Don't short cut an engine rebuild, it will end badly. 

Ask around, you will have someone you can trust and go to for your needs, just ask the right questions up front, make an informed decision and away you go.  

Kevin 

i do remember your very successful engine rebuild after you broke a piston not to long after you received your  car in your country 

Nice work 

Enjoy 

Would you mind sharing the prices of the shops?  A rebuild kit is 1500 to 1800 dollars in the states.  If I sent an engine out, it would cost 4-5 thousand dollars.

I'm worried that the lower priced shop doesn't know the cost of a rebuild kit for these engines.

So the price online by a motor remanufacture/rebuild site is $2950. Shipping total both ways is roughly $300. Local shops...one is between $3500 & $4500. The second local shop is $4500 to $5500. Everyone sounded like they knew what they were doing and answered my questions with solid knowledge. Thus the reason I’m scratching my head on such a difference.

quick question, anyone know what size bolts we need to bolt engine up to a engine stand? we dont need any special adapter plates or anything right. my stand has the adjustable mounts like usual. just need to know what size bolts roughly i need to put in there

7/16 - 14 bolt size. I believe I am mainly using the adaptor ring bolts used on the THM transmission equipped 64's, along with a big washer. There is one lower right where I just use a smaller long bolt with 2 washers.. I think it goes through one of the starter holes. I put together an "engine stand bolt set" probably 15 years ago and just keep in a baggie. Regardless the back of engine bolt hole threads are 7/16 - 14. 

Hey sorry i forgot to mention that i have a 63 with the 390. I just didnt wanna start a new thread for a simple question.

Same size.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

How much play in 63 timing chain?

Started by Ben Roberts in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Ben Roberts 6 hours ago. 6 Replies

I will be installing a new chain and gears because I'm in this deep and all the forums here strongly recommend doing so.  It appears the coating is intact and I don't have to worry about that debris…Continue

The Australian Bushfires:.......

Started by Kevin Campbell in General Discussion. Last reply by Kevin Campbell 6 hours ago. 11 Replies

I know we have some Aussies on here and I have to say, Australia, is in a whole world of hurt at the moment, so do ya best to stay safe.Currently, in the southern states, 4 huge fire fronts, look…Continue

1964 sixty special fleetwood piston ring need help

Started by Pablo in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 9 hours ago. 1 Reply

Good morning, I just got an engine that needs piston rings , it’s a 429 cid , the measure of the piston is 104 14 according with the digital caliper, also the size of cylinder shows 105 01 , the…Continue

Blog Posts

Road Trip

Posted by Ray Schick on January 21, 2020 at 9:00pm 7 Comments

Got a little cabin fever this morning,decided to take a road trip to Hickory Corners Michigan, The Gilmore Museum. It’s about 2 1/2 hours from my home . Place is awesome,I was really impressed.

9A648CFF-E965-4CE0-8E91-8E194AC70DED.jpeg…

Continue

1964 429 Aluminum Front Cover For Sale!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on January 12, 2020 at 3:30pm 1 Comment

• I wound up with an extra front cover for my '64 and offering it for sale.

Purchased from a knowledgable part supplier with thorough hands-on knowledge of 63-64 Cadillac engines, who checked the part before sending it to me. The oil pump driven gearSee S bore and the pressure relief piston bore are both .002 over and within the .005…

Continue

Looking for the Rochester Choke Tube ...

Posted by Mack on January 10, 2020 at 1:14am 3 Comments

37E244B6-71C7-4857-8D50-1BD8C48077A4.jpeg

Looking to buy the choke tube for my Rochester... anybody have one for Sale???

AC/heater for 1964 Cadillac coupe de ville

Posted by Matias J. Adrogue on January 7, 2020 at 11:11am 9 Comments

Good morning!  I am Matias Adrogue.  I bought a 1964 Cadillac coupe de ville last year and am real close to the final restoration details!  I call her “Jaws 64”.  Pics will be posted soon.  I need advise regarding a AC/heater.  It came stock in the vehicle but it does not work.  A mechanic gave me a bid of $1700 to replace and repair.  I am ready to install a new system - Vintage Air or Old Air Products from Fort Worth Texas.  I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.  I read the great write…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service