Hello and thank you for letting me join this group. While I was driving my 63 model 62 my trans cooler line blew off and needless to say I ran out of fluid. The next day I replaced the rubber hose and filled up the trans it made some not a too funny noise. I drove about 50 miles still makes noise at idle and shifts slow . Here's the question should I have this transmission rebuilt or replace it with a turbo 400 or a newer model . I did like the way this jetaway transmission when I first bought this car . Thanks in advance and don't make too much fun at me Scott I

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You cannot use the turbo trans as a replacement for a jetaway
The engines crank shaft end --is different and will not work in a swap
The swap will break the flywheel as they do not match up

enjoy

Be sure your trans fluid is topped off with the engine at operating temp and running

Our trans will not shift correctly if the fluid is low a quart or two

Enjoy

Scott, your 1963 Hydra-Matic has 56 year old seals and parts and they start to break down. I just got off the phone with a friend that has picked away at his Hydra-Matic (HM) for years and could never get his to shift right, especially when it overheated. He finally had an old school mechanic completely rebuild it with the complete kit available thru Fatsco and it now shifts perfect and says he wished they had done that a long time ago. 

You CAN install a 1964 Turbo Hydra-Matic  (THM) in your 1963, however, you will have a long list of items you will need to switch out or modify to make it work.  The transmission flexplate mount opening on the THM is 3" and the raised area on the back of your 390 crank designed for the HM drive plate is 3 3/16" meaning you will need to have a machine ship enlarge the flex plate to 3 3/16" ... and it better be dead center and exactly  3 3/16"! That is just a start. For more details check out our Engine and Transmission Facts - differences from 62 to 63 to 64 to 65 help page article and scroll down to the  Swapping the Transmissions ---> Things to Consider section.

You can also swap in a newer Hydramatic that will have a different set of considerations, some good and some bad. Find a good 1965 THM and it bolts right up to the engine without the adaptor ring... but it has a 2 drive range setup and the shift quadrant is different.  So... you can install just about anything but by the time you go through the time and effort and money to make it work might as well have the HM rebuilt.  

First, the trans fluid hose needs to be a trans fluid hose. Seen the results of gas hose used on trans cooler lines.  The hose gets gummy soft and blows off like yours did.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

FUEL GAGE

Started by STEPHEN HORWATH in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 9 hours ago. 7 Replies

Hi just wondering if anyone else had a problem with their fuel gauge going up to full when key is turned to the on position or when the car is running.  it goes back to empty when key is in the off…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 22 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Front Window Motor Installation Help Needed

Started by Roy in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 9 Replies

I have a bad window motor in the passenger side door.  I have removed the door panel and am at a complete loss as to where to start and what to do from here.  Does anyone have any step by step…Continue

Intake manifold leak

Started by Joe DiIaconi in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Roland Moser yesterday. 35 Replies

Anyone install better quality intake manifold gaskets?

Blog Posts

Hood Insulation

Posted by Dominic Salemi on July 3, 2019 at 9:15pm 2 Comments

Can anyone give me some information on what to use to secure my hood insulation to the hood.

Thanks

Dominic

64 Hood Hinge Color?

Posted by Bob Schles on June 27, 2019 at 4:46pm 2 Comments

Can someone tell me what color the hood hinges should be? I've seen both silver and gold cadmium plating colors on the cars. Thanks

Rear Side Window Stainless Sill Removal

Posted by Lee Martin on June 24, 2019 at 3:07pm 2 Comments

I'm looking to replace a piece of the stainless trim that sits on the outside of the car like a sill outside the rear passenger side window.  I can just barely see one screw at one end but does the door panel and/or window need to come out to access this?  If anyone has done this I'd like to learn what is involved.  Here's a photo of the piece I'm talking about:…

Continue

Cadillac Returns to its Roots Under New Leadership

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on May 1, 2019 at 12:30am 3 Comments

Cadillac’s new boss says they should stop trying to build BMWs and go back to building Cadillacs again.

What do you think? 

https://carbuzz.com/news/cadillac-finally-admits-what-everyone-knew-for-years

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service