Looking ahead while things are out.  I was thinking of replacing the carb w a newer edelbrock or holley.  I hv seen discussiins regarding this prior.   What woukd be easist transition?  Edelbrock or holley, and what modifications woukd be required to intake.  Again. Easiest and cost time efficient chagne.  I remeber i think Jason saying he got better performance w his change over.   Any thoughts appreciated

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kim

Do the first engine brake in run up on the carb you now have as that carb was working correctly when you last drove the car 

Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke applies 

A  carb change now will only complicate your engine rebuild not for the better

You can consider a carb change after you put a few miles on the new engine and work out any bugs with the new engine build that often pop up and have to be worked thru

Keep in mind that after the engine rebuild the next very important thing you must do is get the engine to fire up and go immediately to 1000- 1500 RPMs for 20 minutes or so 

That Rpm allow all the metal to metal internal parts to form a smooth surface between them and is critical for long engine life in the future  

My best advice because you asked 

Later you can go to a 1406 Edelbrock carb and deal with what is required to install part 

The 1406 is a bolt on for the Carter carb but later for that story ( it is the carb I have on my 64-429 when ready later on ) 

Enjoy 

Thanks. Tony

Kim

You are very welcome 

Glad I can help 

Enjoy 

Yes. 1406, not 1407. I did the 1407 on my stock 63, and idle is adjusted full low, and is rpm 480 . Which is speced. 

Thanks Ian,  I am just trying to plan for my re construction of my my engine rebuild.  Will keep all numbers in mind 

Kim 

Work very very clean — and think thru all going slow 

Use the special break in lube for all metal to metal contact surfaces 

The biggest challenges are getting the points gap correct with a feeler gauge  ( if new points ) and the timing correct to get an instant fire up to 1000 RPMs 

Let someone work the key while you turn the dist ever so  very slightly for the first fire up ( prime the carb)

Using the old points will help if you can ( to avoid  having to play with that setting and install new point after the first run up on a dwell meter ) as that will leave you with only the timing to set right for it to fire  off fast 

Be prepared to lock down the dist once engine fires off 

Do research all you can about the first run up 

If the engine just pops and does not fire you will most likely need to pull the dist and rotate the rotor 180 degrees and reinstall it for the engine to fire 

Do an oil change 1000 miles after the first run up to remove metal shavings 

You will be breaking in the engine for the first 10,000 miles 

I do not go over  50 - 60 MPH during that time and when at 60 miles per hour come off the gas for a bit  a good number of times as that oils the top of the engine 

Watch your oil consumption a lot  at first  as you will go thru oil until our engines very very hard metal  rings seat to the cylinder walls 

Our oil rings are very much harder than most and take longer to seat than most for that reason 

Just some tips that I hope will be of value to you to get your new engine right ——for the long haul 

Enjoy 

Long way from there, but will copy n.paste for that point in the rebuild

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

CLC Chapters VP Bob Crimmins & CLC SW Regions VP, Self-Starter Art Director Tim Coy Visit

Started by Jason Edge in Chapter Discussion 12 hours ago. 0 Replies

The National Cadillac LaSalle Club had their Winter Board Member this Past Saturday, Feb 27, via zoom and as an elected board member I always attend ... usually in person, but because of COVID we…Continue

brake adjuster slots

Started by Doug Scarrow in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 1 Reply

Has anyone drilled the backing plates and made the slots that allow brake adjustments without removing the wheel?  I have always hated the slots in the drums.Continue

New Batch of Embroidered Iron-On 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Patches - $4 each

Started by Jason Edge in Chapter Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge on Tuesday. 2 Replies

As noted in our August 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Newsletter:Around 6 years…Continue

Tags: Available, Patches, Chapter, Cadillac, 1963/64

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge on Tuesday. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

Need center support for convertible top

Posted by John Rueff on February 17, 2021 at 6:15pm 0 Comments

For my 1964 Cadillac Deville

Help on Removal of rear seatback on 64 convertible

Posted by Nile Bolen on January 8, 2021 at 11:44am 7 Comments

I'm trying to remove the rear seatback on my 1964 deville conv.  The only help on this site that I can find is the following:

The seatback, its bright stainless trim, and the speaker grille are removed as an assembly.  The seat back hangs on two hooks near the top, and is retained to the body by two bolts and washers near the floor, one on the right side, one on the left.Once these fasteners are removed, lift the seat back upward and free it from the hooks

I've removed…

Continue

Bumper lower bucket

Posted by Ray Schick on January 1, 2021 at 4:33pm 3 Comments

1964 Convertible Seats.

Posted by michael moorman on November 30, 2020 at 5:29pm 1 Comment

Are the front and rear seat frames the same for 63/64 Coupes and Convertibles because Original parts group  makes reproduction seat covers for 1963 only and and i prefer the 1963 seat pattern so with that being said does anyone have information regarding this thanks.

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service