My driver side tail light does not work. The lights on the fin works, passenger side works. Check the fuses everything looks good. Should I follow the wire from the tail light and where does it run to. Is it in the trunk or underneath the car. Thanks

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Testing the tail light is made easy since the connector is just inside the license tag/gas door on the back trunk wall. Looking at pictures below, just flip the gas door down, reach over and unplug the connector on the left at back trunk wall, and apply 12 volts to each of the 3 connector.
- Light Green control backup light
- Purple  controls brake and turn signal
- Dark Green controls tail light/park light and license plate light.

Check each one to see if they are working if 12 volts is applied. If they all work your problem is in front of the connector. If one doesn't work, the bulb might be burned out, you might have a grounding issue, or the socket is not making good contact.

Access to the tail light bulbs requires removing the center tail lamp center ornament bar (3 sets of 2 screws), then the tall clear tail light lens via top and bottom screw and then gently prying the lens away from the gasket and removing/checking the bulbs. Sometimes the spring that pushes the contact up toward the bulb base tip gets corroded and you can work it back and forth with needle nose pliers and WD40. Sometimes they base of the fixture loses contact with the tail light fixture. You can usually take punch and notch up against the rim to make ground contact again. If all else fails there are push in spring type replacement lights bulbs in the "Help" section of most auto stores. This requires removing the tail light fixture, and prying the lip off the old bulb so that you can remove it. Hopefully you just have a burned out bulb, or the spring isn't making contact and can be fixed.

Just one other note, I have used a heater hose... I think maybe 3/4" hose to push onto the bulb to be able to push in and turn out. The back up light in particular is hard to reach in and get your hand on.

Here are the pictures of testing the tail lights from the back wall connector. I am using a simple 1amp 12 volt AC/DC adaptor with alligator clips, however you can use any 12 volt DC source.

Flip door down and see connector over the left and unplug:

Here is a close up with connector unplugged:

I am simply using a 12 volt AC/DC adaptor with pointed tip alligator clips. Negative is on Ground and Positive is attached to each contact testing each light.

Observe the lights as you test. Here I have the 12 volts on the light green wire for the back up lights.

Wow thanks for the great detail. I will trouble shoot everything this after noon

I use folded aluminum foil to fill the gap between the fixture and the bulbs base so contact is made after the WD -40 to work the spring
For any side to side movement a toothpick and a dab of crazy glue will stabilize the bulb
Prevents bumps from jiggling the bulb loose

Living in Florida for 13 years you pick up some inovative Red Neck Tricks

If you have to move your transmission to take a bath -- you could be --a Red Neck ---LOL !!!!!

Enjoy

Jason

Real nice extremely detailed taillight electrical repair info
A lot of variables going on there
Electrical issues can be challenging
Nailed the subject
I took some notes as i often do
I have an accordian file of all detail notes from the Cadillac websites i have collected since 2006
Just always enjoying knowing all i can about the 64 Cadillac

Enjoy

Clean all conections to shinny metal

The wiring going into the plug can be removed ( backed out ) from the plug by slipping a small flat tool into the socket
Removing the wire from the plug will help you access the terminal to clean to well
They sell a spray to clean plug in terminals
I always clean them by hand myself

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Power Steering Hose Nut

Started by Brian Pospichal in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Chris Codd 13 minutes ago. 1 Reply

Any tips,tricks,suggestions on what's worked for you to loosen the 11/16 nut on the power steering high pressure hose? I can get a flare wrench on it but access is limited and awkward and t's hard to…Continue

Door lock vacuum

Started by Bill Hatfield in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 23 minutes ago. 0 Replies

Hey folks. First post. I hope I'm doing it right. I currently restoring a 1964 Fleetwood 60 series Special. There is an egg shaped vacuum canister on the left side of the firewall behind the tire. It…Continue

Re upholstering seats

Started by paul in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 20 hours ago. 5 Replies

Hello all, my question pertains to interior of a recent barn find.  A 1963 cadillac sedan with 16000 original miles.  Unfortunately it had mice in the car, so of course the whole interior which is…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge yesterday. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

Is there a separate Starter Relay, or does the Solenoid serve that purpose?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 30, 2019 at 5:57pm 7 Comments

Hello All.

I will be replacing the starter solenoid tomorrow (actually my mechanic will do the work, I'll just supervise). In checking the FSM electrical schematic and chapter verbiage, I don't see anything that looks like (or is referred to as) a starter Relay. It seems the Starter Solenoid serves the function and there's no separate relay. Right or Wrong?

If wrong, where…

Continue

Starter Solenoid replacement-how difficult? Where to buy?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 20, 2019 at 8:24pm 8 Comments

Hello All.

I believe the starter solenoid has gone bad in my 64 DeVille. When I turn the key, often all I get is a click, then if I try a few times again the starter turns perfectly. All battery cables are on tight and the battery is good. So, I believe this problem is the solenoid. Where do I buy the right solenoid and is it necessary to remove the starter in order to swap it out? …

Continue

Frame Markings

Posted by Gene McIlroy on August 12, 2019 at 6:26pm 1 Comment

Just got my frame back from powder coating so thought I would post photos of the front and rear frame markings.…

Continue

Lining up the drive shaft

Posted by Dominic Salemi on August 12, 2019 at 5:47pm 2 Comments

Can anyone shed some light on how to position the complete drive shaft in the correct position? I want to make sure my drive shaft is installed properly.

Thanks

Dominic

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service