My driver side tail light does not work. The lights on the fin works, passenger side works. Check the fuses everything looks good. Should I follow the wire from the tail light and where does it run to. Is it in the trunk or underneath the car. Thanks

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Testing the tail light is made easy since the connector is just inside the license tag/gas door on the back trunk wall. Looking at pictures below, just flip the gas door down, reach over and unplug the connector on the left at back trunk wall, and apply 12 volts to each of the 3 connector.
- Light Green control backup light
- Purple  controls brake and turn signal
- Dark Green controls tail light/park light and license plate light.

Check each one to see if they are working if 12 volts is applied. If they all work your problem is in front of the connector. If one doesn't work, the bulb might be burned out, you might have a grounding issue, or the socket is not making good contact.

Access to the tail light bulbs requires removing the center tail lamp center ornament bar (3 sets of 2 screws), then the tall clear tail light lens via top and bottom screw and then gently prying the lens away from the gasket and removing/checking the bulbs. Sometimes the spring that pushes the contact up toward the bulb base tip gets corroded and you can work it back and forth with needle nose pliers and WD40. Sometimes they base of the fixture loses contact with the tail light fixture. You can usually take punch and notch up against the rim to make ground contact again. If all else fails there are push in spring type replacement lights bulbs in the "Help" section of most auto stores. This requires removing the tail light fixture, and prying the lip off the old bulb so that you can remove it. Hopefully you just have a burned out bulb, or the spring isn't making contact and can be fixed.

Just one other note, I have used a heater hose... I think maybe 3/4" hose to push onto the bulb to be able to push in and turn out. The back up light in particular is hard to reach in and get your hand on.

Here are the pictures of testing the tail lights from the back wall connector. I am using a simple 1amp 12 volt AC/DC adaptor with alligator clips, however you can use any 12 volt DC source.

Flip door down and see connector over the left and unplug:

Here is a close up with connector unplugged:

I am simply using a 12 volt AC/DC adaptor with pointed tip alligator clips. Negative is on Ground and Positive is attached to each contact testing each light.

Observe the lights as you test. Here I have the 12 volts on the light green wire for the back up lights.

Wow thanks for the great detail. I will trouble shoot everything this after noon

I use folded aluminum foil to fill the gap between the fixture and the bulbs base so contact is made after the WD -40 to work the spring
For any side to side movement a toothpick and a dab of crazy glue will stabilize the bulb
Prevents bumps from jiggling the bulb loose

Living in Florida for 13 years you pick up some inovative Red Neck Tricks

If you have to move your transmission to take a bath -- you could be --a Red Neck ---LOL !!!!!

Enjoy

Jason

Real nice extremely detailed taillight electrical repair info
A lot of variables going on there
Electrical issues can be challenging
Nailed the subject
I took some notes as i often do
I have an accordian file of all detail notes from the Cadillac websites i have collected since 2006
Just always enjoying knowing all i can about the 64 Cadillac

Enjoy

Clean all conections to shinny metal

The wiring going into the plug can be removed ( backed out ) from the plug by slipping a small flat tool into the socket
Removing the wire from the plug will help you access the terminal to clean to well
They sell a spray to clean plug in terminals
I always clean them by hand myself

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Back to Starter

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kim K Kaiser 1 hour ago. 36 Replies

Ok,  short refresher,  last dec i relpaced starter w rebuilt from usa parts.  and even then,  after short runs where i got up to temp, if i shutvcar off, and then tried to start, it would drag…Continue

Been busy

Started by Clovis in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 2 hours ago. 3 Replies

I haven't spent much time on my old cars this summer. My latest project has been a gazebo on the new island. I'll be ready Wednesday to start putting on shingles. Tomorrow its facia and some more…Continue

Here's some what a update on the engine!

Started by Haris dizdarevic in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 13 hours ago. 7 Replies

Continue

Blog Posts

HVAC Vacuum Valve Clip-need the one for the Power Control side

Posted by Norman Silverman on September 17, 2018 at 8:15pm 4 Comments

Hi.

Update:

I removed both 7 nipple vacuum valves and called my buddy who owns a machine shop. Tomorrow we'll re-surface the valve faces and then I'll reinstall them. HOWEVER, the one that comes out easily and comes apart with no rivet is on the Power module side. It installs on one side with a small bolt, and on the other it is held on by a clip, WHICH IS MISSING ON MY CAR. I am going to assume it is the same clip that is used on the Control Module side. Anybody got one? Happy…

Continue

7 vacuum valve-need a good one or someone to recondition mine

Posted by Norman Silverman on September 15, 2018 at 5:44pm 12 Comments

So, I've put my 7 vacuum valve from the control head side to the test, and it failed. I looked at the instructions for re-conditioning it and unless I am missing something, the instructions are missing something (about how to take off the clip that provides the tension that holds the two pieces together). 

In any case, I can't do this particular repair so I am looking for a new valve (not likely), or a good re-conditioned one, or someone who has done this before and would do mine for…

Continue

Mosiac Cadillac emblem Table

Posted by Dana G Cooper on August 30, 2018 at 10:48pm 11 Comments

Wanted to share a picture of a table my wife made for me to display with our 63 Coupe Deville. 

Inside door handle thread size

Posted by Michael Jarnagin on August 23, 2018 at 4:31pm 1 Comment

Anyone know the thread size on the inside door handle bolts mine are missing any info much appreciated 

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service