I saw an ad for this car on Hemmings Classifed on line today. This car looked to be in beautiful condition before the collision. The interior looked really nice. There are more pictures in the ad.

Best regards.

Jeff Kinzler

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One hell of an impact !!
Good to see the drivers compartment was not affected by such a great impact keeping the drive safe to some degree

Jeff
Was this the standard Crash Test we often see to test for driver safety ?
Any idea what the speed was that did this much damage ?

I must say looking at this damage is very sad and disturbing to me

Enjoy

Tony you and I have been around long enough to remember “ in a Cadillac you walk away from the crash”
The fact that the impact happens 8’ away from your head and close to half the weight of the car is on that area must provide an engineering safety factor that protects occupants.

The very strong large steel frame under our cars and the massive bumpers do act to prevent the passengers from physical damage depending on the type of impact and direction a crash happens in those days
In there day the Large Cadillacs were considered a safe car to be in out on the road

We have come a long way over the years in passenger saftey and a completely different approach to the subject of passenger safety with the unibody designed car

Very interesting that Cadillac was the first to introduce seat belts in cars that became law a year after being introduced by them

Enjoy

That's a pretty big hit.

In a 1964 Cadillac, you have 2 crumble zones. (Whatever its hit and the occupants)

I reckon, with either no belts or the factory lap belts, immediately after the car impacts the other "object", the next thing to happen is the removal of your front teeth from the impact with the steering wheel.  Then, as your melon he flies back the other way, it can impact with the rear passengers head, as its still traveling forward with a greater distance prior to meeting something solid.

Meanwhile, with little or no "give" due to the massive solid structure (your 64 Cadillac), all your internal organs begin to play hid and seek, as they shoot around your insides like two bubbles in a piss pot.

Your flailing arms, will begin to bitch slap anyone within a 500 yard radius.

Your eyeballs will shoot out until they hit the windscreen like a moth drawn to a light, before being repelled back into your head at Mach 1 warp speed, with the return impact knocking out your ear wax.

Due to the last nano second oh shit moment you experience prior to a major crash, the butt pucker factor, will see most of the drivers seat material zip up ya bum like a rat up a drain pipe.

Then, as you sit there, bleeding, broken and slightly unhappy, the moron in the other car runs over and says..... Sorry mate, I didn't see you.

The previously, uninjured second party, will now speed 3 weeks in a coma after being near beaten to death with a tyre iron by..... shall we say... a slightly miffed 64 Cadillac owner.  

I sure hope it never happens to me or the Fleetwood.... I'd be devastated.

Really painful to look at, but I think it's really amazing how modern technology has created  paint that flexes with the steel without flaking & chipping. Depending on the frame , she looks repairable to me : replace front clip.

Kevin

Gotta love your very vivid detailed explination
Just thank god most accidents do not involve this high an impact --Amen

Where i am living in north west central Florida the size of the vehicles on the road is rather amazing
Every where you look you will see a very large pick up truck some often jacked way up
and cutting in and out to get to the next light side by side --LOL !
Being in a smaller car - my Scion -makes this more obvious

Just so you know: -- when our Cadillacs were NEW they were one of the very largest cars on the road In there time
So that was a big part of them being able to take a hit from some other smaller cars with no problem
A large vehicle gives you some special unexplainable rights and authority on the road if you get my drift
That was the case with our Cadillacs back in the day ( i just love using that term !) and that added to what these cars were about then ( when new )
They were large enough to --RULE THE ROAD-- in there day
We have lost that quality with the very large vehicles on the roads today and they now rule the roads
Of coarse they don't look 1/16 as good as we do out there on the road ---YES !!!!!!

1963 - 64 CLASSIC ANTIQUE CADILLACS FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish you were all there when these cars were new - they were exceptionally good times in America and our cars are very much an expression of those high quality Standards of those times

Enjoy

Enjoy

Enjoy

I cannot look at that damage without getting upset
One hell of a bad accident

Add to my above post these cars were --one of the Heavier passenger cars on the road in there day adding to the Crash protection these cars were know for then
I know my 64 convertible is 4,200 lbs and my 63 chevy was 3,200 lbs as an example
A no Brainner which one would hold up better in a a high impact situation

Enjoy

The big difference now, is the crumble zone tech they use in modern cars.

The 59 Chevy VS 2009 Chevy on YouTube is a great example. Your old China plate in the 59 would end up brown bread while the 2009 driver would dust off the powder from the airbag and live to fight another day.

Keep in mind though, in the clip, both cars hit dead square which would be highly unlikely in real life. In real life, unless both are asleep or brain dead, one or both would swerve and even as little as a 10 of 15% angle would start to give a lesser impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g

Like any test, you can set things up to show the worse case scenario to embellish the point you are trying to push. Whilst the maximum impact is possible, i would expect, its not all that probable.

In one yearbook we wrote:

“Statistics don’t lie, but statisticians do.”

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Re upholstering seats

Started by paul in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 2 hours ago. 5 Replies

Hello all, my question pertains to interior of a recent barn find.  A 1963 cadillac sedan with 16000 original miles.  Unfortunately it had mice in the car, so of course the whole interior which is…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 8 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Disc Brakes and Cadillac 48 spoke wire wheels

Started by James Elkins in General Discussion. Last reply by tim sparks 8 hours ago. 1 Reply

I've been thinking about upgrading to the CPP front disc brake kit for my 64. I'm running the wheel vintiques 15x6" Cadillac wire wheel. The brake kit says must use with a disc brake compatible…Continue

New dimmer switch

Started by Russ Austin in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 21 hours ago. 0 Replies

I have new headlight dimmer switches for cars with the guidematic system…Continue

Blog Posts

Is there a separate Starter Relay, or does the Solenoid serve that purpose?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 30, 2019 at 5:57pm 7 Comments

Hello All.

I will be replacing the starter solenoid tomorrow (actually my mechanic will do the work, I'll just supervise). In checking the FSM electrical schematic and chapter verbiage, I don't see anything that looks like (or is referred to as) a starter Relay. It seems the Starter Solenoid serves the function and there's no separate relay. Right or Wrong?

If wrong, where…

Continue

Starter Solenoid replacement-how difficult? Where to buy?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 20, 2019 at 8:24pm 8 Comments

Hello All.

I believe the starter solenoid has gone bad in my 64 DeVille. When I turn the key, often all I get is a click, then if I try a few times again the starter turns perfectly. All battery cables are on tight and the battery is good. So, I believe this problem is the solenoid. Where do I buy the right solenoid and is it necessary to remove the starter in order to swap it out? …

Continue

Frame Markings

Posted by Gene McIlroy on August 12, 2019 at 6:26pm 1 Comment

Just got my frame back from powder coating so thought I would post photos of the front and rear frame markings.…

Continue

Lining up the drive shaft

Posted by Dominic Salemi on August 12, 2019 at 5:47pm 2 Comments

Can anyone shed some light on how to position the complete drive shaft in the correct position? I want to make sure my drive shaft is installed properly.

Thanks

Dominic

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service