Hello there cats and kittens just an update on my AC Center vent situation. I purchased an aftermarket vent from Summit Racing. It probably would have worked but did not have the Aesthetics I was looking for. So I came up with an idea that is working quite well. I took some foam that I got at a craft store. $0.98 and it comes in a sheet like letter size paper. I cut it into little slivers and forced them into the vent at appropriate angles creating corridors so the air to flow through and painted them black. Which I'm not happy about but I can swap them out for silver ones I'm thinking. Anyway took it for a test drive this morning and it was beautiful.

Views: 168

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joe D

Just to take this one step further —-if I may

I truly do not think the systems design is the issue at all having owned my 64 convert when new

The convertible would be less efficient at containing the cold air than a hard top by design

I would attribute the problem to some worn comfort control parts ( compressor ? )— a change from R-12 to 134-R freon— the fan motors output speed—and the condition of the window rubber seals in your own car

Not sure how many of the above you may have already addressed that might help

I surely understand the very hot conditions you have being in southern FL  is adding to your situation 

Be COOL my friend —— (even if the CDV could be a bit cooler  inside at times )

Enjoy

Compressors relatively new, all the rubber seals in the windows are less than 4 years old. And it has been converted to 134 R.
Part of the problem I believe is these cars have a huge cabin, and allot of sunlight Through the Windows. The amount of air produced by the fan is minimal even in high. It would be nice to find a more powerful fan that would fit in the cavity without having to modify it. I do realize though some of the wiring would have to be upgraded to accommodate the higher power demand.

The  AC fan SB blowing — really big time —when on high —at start up  in a hot cabin and  fan speed slowly tapper off as you get to your set temp on the dial

Could your fans —MaxRPM  that it reaches be some of the possible problem ?

I would like to know myself what the max RPMs are for the blower fan that is working to the correct spec on high

Do jump in ( anyone ) if you know that rpm number is !

That fan has a circular unit very much like the Sturn of a river boat that may be rusted or damaged

The FINS on that disc is the part that does the actual air movement thru all the ducting under the dash

Might be a good idea to get a look at the max rpm fan speed on high you are getting  and the condition of the fins on the air moving disc attached to the blower motor that does the actual air movement

Enjoy

I should have mentioned the fan is relatively new to and the fins on it are in perfect condition. I feel it's just an antiquated system. Not to mention in Detroit Michigan where these cars were made 55 years ago. Most homes did not have AC. They were more concerned with you not dying from frostbite in a blizzard

You did cover all the basis I see

Do you  have the STV after market valve installed for the 134-r freon you are now using ?

That’s it -out of ideas - Over and Out !

Enjoy

Yes. It was actually done before I bought the car 16 years ago by the previous owner.

Joe D

Sixteen years is a long time on any ACs systems parts regarding wear and performance

You must have had to  do some maintenance thru the years to keep the. System performing correctly

Enjoy

Yes, as you know these cars require constant maintenance and replacement of parts.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Edelbrock 1406 Carburetor + Parts For Conversion For Sale

Started by Ian Osborne in For Sale. Last reply by Ian Osborne 2 hours ago. 7 Replies

Gentlemen,After 31 years I have sold my '63 convertible. Long story short is I got a price I believe was very respectable considering the market right now. That and I am moving on to finish my other…Continue

Radio restoration

Started by Joe DiIaconi in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Joe DiIaconi 3 hours ago. 3 Replies

I had my 1964 radio restored a few years ago and now it's not working correctly. Can anyone recommend a reputable place to have it restored again?Continue

Contact Looking for 1963 Coupe de Ville with VIN 63J037220

Started by Jason Edge in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 4 hours ago. 4 Replies

I have a contact that is trying to track down a 1963 Cadillac Coupe de Ville with VIN # 63J037220 that was owned by her father (huge sentimental value). The car was sold to a man in Pompano Beach, FL…Continue

63 Caddy Sedan Deville For Sale

Started by Bob Ricks in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Email me for more info.  bob@drkshark.comContinue

Tags: Sale, For

Blog Posts

1964 Cadillac Fleetwood sixty special / transmission dipstick needed

Posted by Pablo on September 20, 2020 at 9:57pm 1 Comment

How are you doing folks, I’m looking for a transmission dipstick, any info I will appreciated, thank you very much

1963 Cadillac hood driver side hinge

Posted by Steven on September 16, 2020 at 9:23am 1 Comment

Hello,

Does anyone know were I can buy a 1963 Cadillac hood driver side hinge or is there any other hinge that would fit? 

Thanks

Steven

Bad Guage?

Posted by Karl Schwarz on August 26, 2020 at 3:08pm 5 Comments

So I am troubleshooting my fuel gauge issue. I bought a new sender and tested it. It  it goes from 1-ohm (empty) to 35-ohm (full). When I test it (outside the tank), when the float is in the up (full) position it only moves the gauge to about 1/2 full. When at the bottom (empty) position the gauge shows empty. This is the same issue I have when I fill and then use the gas in the tank - the gauge never reads ore than half full. Based on what I've read on this thread it would seem like the…

Continue

Website

Posted by Fritz Seitz on August 11, 2020 at 2:35am 0 Comments

I have been working on a website-----www.fritzsautorepair.com-----

Does anyone have suggestions?

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service