I bought this beauty a year ago and at that time the AC system was flat.  I replaced a line that had a huge hole in it, pulled a vacuum, charged it with R12 and it started making cold air !!!! Oh happy days !!!

AC runs great until I take the transmission out of Park (and put it into Drive or Reverse).  At that point it just fan shuts down.  If I put it back in Park the fan starts blowing cold air again. 

What the heck ?   My only thought is that it might have something to do with the neutral safety switch (it hisses when I put car in Drive). 

Any suggestions ??

Views: 214

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My above post should read -
I do second Kurt's suggestion

Sorry Kurt !

Enjoy

No problem Tony. I've been called much worse : )

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I have been troubleshooting the AC pneumatic system and all things point to the "rotary valve" on the passenger side interior.  I bought the $20 manual and it gives direction on how to recondition the rotary valve.  It doesn't sound too difficult.  Has anyone done this before and do you have any advice ?

Robert

I did disassemble my rotory valve on the servo behind the glove box but it was some time ago
I just put it back together the way it came apart with no issue as i recall
The rotory valve on the back of the confort control controls was a bit more difficult to work with but do not recall the details

The point i want to make is i did find debri in that rotory valve and the rotory valve behind the confort control controls so cleaning the valves was rewarding and a good idea to have the AC work correctly

Do what you must to be sure all your hoses are holding a vacuum ( no air leak )
Plug what you must to have the system hold as much of a vacuum as you can and then you can get back to resloving the leaking hose or leaking vacuum valve for example
You will be establishing the parts of the CC that you will need to be replacing in the future at this same time

Enjoy

Thanks .  Just got done refinishing the valve.  No big deal.  Not very intimidating (once you've done it).  Thank for the advice.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

STEERING GEAR

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Mark S Anderson 36 minutes ago. 12 Replies

IN addition to the main seal leak,,which i am going to tackle again tomorrow,i also have a leak in what seems to be the steering gear.  I have checked to connections from the pump, and its dry on…Continue

What front springs to use to level car back out after an LS swap?

Started by Richard Biele in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 7 hours ago. 0 Replies

I see other members have put LS engines into their cars. I am wondering what springs you put in afterwards. I cannot determine the height due to the car having a front end fire (how I ended up with…Continue

2020 Cadillac calendars.

Started by Russ Austin in General Discussion 10 hours ago. 0 Replies

I just got in the 2020 Classic Cadillac calendars.  12 months of 63-64…Continue

Henry Leland- founder of Cadillac and Lincoln

Started by Kurt in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 22 hours ago. 2 Replies

Here's a good article about Henry Leland. I had heard bits & pieces of his story over the years but didn't know all these details.…Continue

Blog Posts

driveshaft help

Posted by wayne weaver on October 9, 2019 at 4:41pm 1 Comment

can anyone help me with a driveshaft ? I have a 1963 Cadillac 62 series 4dr with the hydro-matic trans. I need the male splined shaft on the front of the rear driveshaft section. the piece with the nut attached by clip.id be willing to buy a shaft if its not horribly priced.

Dash removal

Posted by Jake Mickley on October 9, 2019 at 12:06am 9 Comments

Hello everyone,

On a 63 CDV, if a guy wanted to remove the entire dash to get all the metal painted, and do some other things behind there, how would he go about doing that?  I checked here and the shop manual, but can't find a complete guide.

As always, and help or direction is appreciated.  Thanks!

--Jake

Introducing myself

Posted by Gary Marchand on October 7, 2019 at 9:32pm 8 Comments

Thanks for letting me join the club.  Picked up this ‘64 Coupe Deville a few months ago out of Beverly MA, the car has few stickers on it from various Cadillac clubs, didn’t know if anyone might recognize it from it’s “Glory days.” Everything seems pretty healthy except for the body and some very Mickey Mouse repairs, was wondering if anyone had any leads on…

Continue

Carter AFB carburetor question

Posted by Ray Schick on October 7, 2019 at 8:29pm 8 Comments

3655S carb, and a 3656S carb .I know the difference is one is for A/C and the other in for a non A/C car . Now the question is : can I use the carb bowl from the A/C car on the non A/C car ? They look the same set up next to each other

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service