brake smell or axle grease smell (Rear) 63 cdv AND may have screws pooch!!

Thanks have been going fairly well.  over last week or so, i have noticed a bit of that axle grease smell when i come out of the door, not always, but sometimes.  today, i was out, and notice a pretty good shake at a higher speed.  car felt like it was being held back,, brakes seemed ok, no squatting, nothing out of normal feeling.

i got home, checked engine fluids, all ok,, looked behind wheels, didnt really notice any thing, brake lines were fine, no leaking.

i reached down an for whatever reason, felt the back driver hubcap and it was HOT!  i wen over to the passenger side and it was no where near as hot, I'm mean, it was burn your finger hot,, so i thought something was up, jacked it up, popped cap, started to pull lug bolts and twisted one by hand and almost drew a blister!!!  all of them were to hot to hold in your hand, only pinch an toss,,,

waited for stuff to cool,

Now, couple weeks back, i mentioned on one post, a dribble of something coming out of axle attached at brake,,but it was minor and one response seemed to discourage unless really got to leaking out and covering everything.. i did go head an order seals and bearings, so they are here, 

ok, checked it out,, minor leak at bottom same as last time, gobs and gobs of breaks dust, i mean tons,  so I'm thinking shoes may have been tight,, however,, sometimes, i notice when at a light, car wants to roll some, sometimes it does not, i usually check that on flat surface, but just as more info.

well, i put car in neutral, loosened shoes a bit, put cover back on brake unit, i started to car to see how the brakes felt after loosening, seemed to be spinning, i knew i was in neutral,  tried to put in park,  got  a clicking sound,, but wouldnt fully engage into park,  so i am thinking, how could this prevent it from going into park??  well, i though maybe it was due to one wheel up, so i put the tire back on ,, tried to get in to park and it stops short of park, wont fully engage, but clicks, i can hear clicking,, i put it into drive enough to feel car engage, and stopped,, put into reverse to get back in its slot, engaged fine, no problem, but wont fully get into park,,,

SOOOOO,,, wtf,, have i potentially done here and is there a fix..

sincerely

Kim

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

well, i took my rear tires to get balanced as well, and they put different weights on from where the old ones were, dont know what that meant, but they did, the also said, one tire, not rim but tire is not in round, there is a bulge in the middle of the tire, not much, but visible when the tire is off,  i asked if it could cause some shake, and he said he thought it could cause vibration at higher speeds, all depends on how out of round and at what speed, anyway,   waiting on drums to hook back up and see what happens...

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

T-3 headlights for sale

Started by Russ Austin in General Discussion 16 minutes ago. 0 Replies

I have 2 working T-3 low beam headlights and numerous T-3 high beam headlights for sale. Low beams are 22 each  and high beams are 15.00 each plus shipping. Please email me at russ@thecadishack.com …Continue

cornering lights

Started by Larry Rees in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 1 hour ago. 19 Replies

Neither of my cornering lights are working. I started by focusing on drivers side. I removed the entire assembly and cleaned it up, replaced the wire to the socket, cleaned and lubricated the socket…Continue

My '64 Deville Radio Rebuilt and Upgraded.

Started by Michael Vogler in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony Prichard 8 hours ago. 7 Replies

My original '64 Devile radio has been rebuild and upgraded.  Can't wait to get in back in the car!https://youtu.be/DgYqoV290KwContinue

1964 Cadillac Tilt steering wheel

Started by Doug Scarrow in For Sale 15 hours ago. 0 Replies

Just listed nice 1964 Cadillac steering wheel for tilt column https://www.ebay.com/itm/266781070358.      $150 plus $25 USA shippingContinue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service