So, having been through many installations of a new Edelbrock 1406 with no success getting it to run smoothly, as documented here, and THANKS for everyone's help, I ordered a rebuilt Carter AFB.

The original problem was that the Carter AFB installed on my '64 convertible needed 15 pumps to start and always felt starved for gas. Adjustments did not help so I went to Edelbrock, and with many problems, went back to Carter AFB. The Carter I installed has the car starting OK and running smoothly, but it dies on idle.

I turned the mixture screws to closed and opened them up 1 1/2 turns, and tried the center idle screw a couple of turns each way with no real improvement. I do have the metal shim on top of gasket-phenolic spacer-gasket then metal shim.

All vacuum lines(to brakes and distributor) seem connected properly, as before. Wonder what I'm missing here? Can't drive and test the car if it won't idle. Trying to get it to my mechanic for professional setup. May have to see if I can get him to my house but in neither the Edelbrock nor my old Carter AFB installation was idle a problem. Thanks again.

Preston in Darien, CT

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds to me like you need to increase the idle -- with the idle adjustment screw
Not the screws in front of the carb which should not be touched after being set once
With the car off -- get on the driver side of the car and remove the air cleaner
Grab the carb linkage and open the carb with the linkage to full open and hold it there
When you look down at the carb linkage you will be looking at a screw head Just inside the linkage
Turn the screw a half a turn-- put the air cleaner on and start the car to see if the idle has increased
It will at some point
You will need to repeat the above--with the car Off turning the screw a bit at a time until you get the car to run at idle
That should get it to hold an idle of some kind
When you put the car into gear it will drop the engines RPM so allow for that in your idle adjustment or you will stall the engine
Do not run to high an idle or stopping the car can get harder to do as the engine will be working against the trans to some degree
That should get you to your mechanic if required

Enjoy

Thank you, sir! Now, it would sound like you're talking about the fast idle screw. I know about that, and on my "new" rebuilt carb, it does not engage so far. I am looking to my mechanic to sort that out, he knows carbs. But I don't know that it will solve my prob, because cold or hot, I can get the thing to idle. However, I will go look at that screw and try some more. There are only two screws, the big center "idle speed screw" and the hidden, tucked-under "fast idle screw" which you can only reach by pushing hard on the mechanism to bring it up where you can reach it. 

Keep turning the screw on the linkage in ---until the car runs at an idle for you

Any adjustments on the screws on the front of the carb must be done on the proper guages ( or an air sensor ) only once when the carb is installed new after a very complete tune up ( including new wires ) to get the setting on the carb and tune perfect

Enjoy

Thanks, Tony...I got the car running on the rebuilt Carter AFB just enough to get to the mechanic, who specializes in older cars. He drives a Chevrolet Monte Carlo. I told him "make it work with the Carter or the Edelbrock 1406, I do not care, whatever provides the best result." He knows these carbs and has all the test equipment. I failed to install the Edelbrock, and the Carter was easier and "better" to me, but it wouldn't provide an idle, so it's in the hands of long experienced professionals now!  

All good
The point being to get the car running great - so you can Enjoy it as you SB

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Oh, Not the Fleetwood....

Started by Kevin Campbell in General Discussion 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

Try checking this out at 2:18 into the clip..... its a Fleetwood.Bugger.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMBejGqjEMMGeez, the 64 coupe cops a…Continue

Rear center speaker 63 Caddy Convertible

Started by Cengiz Y. Iskin in Wanted to Buy 13 hours ago. 0 Replies

Wanted to buy one with complete Chrome and trimContinue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 17 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

Wire OR Sabre wheels ...

Posted by Mack on July 19, 2018 at 11:15pm 9 Comments

Hi there

i was just wondering how many of you out there has wire or Sabre/turbine wheels on.

youre more than welcome to post some pictures becuase I am debating on getting wire wheels...or Sabre wheels :)

Trumpet horn

Posted by Robert Alan Shannon on July 19, 2018 at 11:21am 1 Comment

Just noticed a nice looking trumpet horn on ebay ; price seems fair. I am not connected to this item in any way, just thought someone here might like it.

Need correct Muffler for 64 DeVille

Posted by Norman Silverman on June 18, 2018 at 7:57pm 13 Comments

Hello all.

I need to replace the muffler on my 64 and the local shop does not have the correct one.

After looking on the web site's help section, I still don't see a recommended part/manufacturer or suggestion. 

What is the best solution to purchase for a stock, single system with 2 1/2 inch pipes, center in, offset out? 

Thanks.

Norm

64 Power Seat Transmission cleaning-it did the trick

Posted by Norman Silverman on June 16, 2018 at 5:36pm 4 Comments

Hello All.

I thought I'd post a little encouragement for those that might have an inoperative 6 way power seat in their car. The fix is relatively easy, and VERY cheap.

I just purchased an original (not re-painted, nor reupholstered) 64 Sedan De Ville 4 window. When I purchased it the front seat was adjusted forward and tilted down in front; two of the worst positions for me, so I had no choice but to attempt to repair it. 

Pushing the switch in each direction brought…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service