Today I went on a 40 mile cruise to a car show. After I got off the highway on my way there the car died & would not start. I popped the hood to look for anything obviously wrong but didn't see anything. At that point even though the car was well warmed up at that point I set the manual choke & cranked again. I was able to get the car started again & got to the show. On the way home I noticed a loud whistling sound that changed with throttle. I popped the hood again and the sound is coming from the carburetor. It seems to have a weird vacuum leak. I've never heard a carb whistle like this.Here is a short video carbwhistle.wmv

I've rebuilt this Carter AFB several times in the 36 years I've owned the car & I think it is toast & not rebuildable again. I see Autozone sells rebuilt Carter AFBs. I know some have installed Edelbrock 1406 & 1411 ( I read details in the Help section). Autozone also has Edelbrock 1906 with this description:

The 1906 AVS2 carburetor is an upgraded version of the 1406 (SKU 38901) with a new calibration for improved performance and drivability. When replacing a Quadrajet or Thermoquad Carburetor, with an aftermarket Holley, or Edelbrock. Adapter part number 5765 (SKU 228351) may be needed, to properly seal the carburetor to the stock factory intake manifold. AVS2 Series(TM). 650 cfm; Square Flange; Non-EGR; Electric choke; Satin. Universal throttle linkage type; satin finish; Non-EGR compatible. Calibrated for fuel economy. For use on pre-pollution controlled vehicles (PPCV). Not calibrated or compatible with alcohol/race or E-85 pump fuel. New fuel filter between fuel pump and carb is required. Adapter PN2696 or kit PN2697 is required. Proper installation is the responsibility of installer; May void warranty. Adapter PN2732 must be used when installing on certain intakes. Recommended CI displacement for big block dual quad apps is 396-502+ cid

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/carburetor/edelbrock-carbure...

Has anyone tried the 1906? It seems like it should work since it is "upgraded version of the 1406". I'm just researching which direction to go. For simplicity sake, I might just get a rebuilt Carter AFB but for a little more money might upgrade to a more modern carb.

Views: 65

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Going with the stock  rebuilt Carter is the easiest  most labor easy way  to go 

The 1406 Edelbrock which I have on my 429 will require you remove the intake to block the old heated choke tube passages as you now have an electric choke 

You will need to rejet the carb  for today’s ethanol fuel 

Try to establish where your vacuum leak is by spraying the carb with water with the engine running 

You will hear a change in sound when you find it 

That might be an easy fix 

I could not pull up the video of the vac leak to hear it 

Enjoy 

No knowledge of the 1906 myself 

Enjoy 

Check the throttle shafts for wear. Look at the metering rods where it hooks up to the power piston.  

Also check the phenolic spacer below the carb. It does crack.

A hose splitting or hose clamp that needs tightening 

All hoses going to the carb  and spacer ( except the vacuum advance and idle up vacuum )  should have hose clamps at all the hose connections as they are vacuum hoses 

No air leaks desired 

I second the phenolic spacer leaking as Russ said 

OH I forgot !

Enjoy 

Kurt, If you go with the 1906 give us some feedback once installed. It would be good info for others that might want another alternative to the 1406 and 1411.

Kirk

With the replacement Edelbrock carb you will not be able to use the stock air cleaner unless you use an adapter

I do have an after market air cleaner called Spectra which is like the K& B in design but less dollars 

Russ sells an adapter for the stock air cleaner 

So still easier to go with a stock Carter rebuild to keep things stock if that is your desire 

The electric choke works better than the stock choke set up but far from perfect in my opinion 

I assume the 1906 is an improvement over the prior carbs that Edelbrock makes that fit our engines or why would they have made a newer design at all ?

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Is this possible or total BS?

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 6 hours ago. 5 Replies

After changing tie rods, i tokk car into wheel n allignment shop. He said no problem.  He calls back about 45 minutes later and said they couldnt get between the tire and cowl, the guys head was too…Continue

Vacuum / Parking Brake / NSS Question

Started by Karl Schwarz in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Karl Schwarz 7 hours ago. 2 Replies

I bought a 1963 Series 62 Convertible in July.It makes a hissing sound when in neutral, and sometimes when in drive (when the shift is more to the left that the right. I assume this related to a NSS…Continue

Tail pipe black stuff!

Started by Lambert Ross in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Lambert Ross yesterday. 10 Replies

any ideas how to clear the ugly black stuff shooting out from my tailpipe? After a long layover, it really messes up the garage floor. I assume its carbon but am not sure how best to react to it.…Continue

Blog Posts

still need a driveshaft

Posted by wayne weaver on November 26, 2019 at 11:53am 0 Comments

well thank you UPS for losing the driveshaft that Russ Austin shipped me. 

however i still need a rear driveshaft section for my 63. mine has a vibration due to the bushing inside of it. its a shame because the ball and sockets in the cardian joints are perfect but it has a woble on the balancing machine. so .  still need the rear section. anyone have a good one ? is there driveshaft alternatives to use ? i am really considering an LS swap and since im fighting the driveshaft search…

Continue

63 guidematic issues

Posted by maurice lapoiinte on November 24, 2019 at 3:10pm 0 Comments

So my 63 guide matic headlamps stay on low beam all the time. I have so far bypassed the system and everything works normal. I have been thru the trouble shooting in the manual but this is where the confusion begins.on my car when the power relay is powered I have low beam and when its not powered I have highbeam, this appears to be opposite what the diagnosis says should be correct.The wiring is all original and no wires have been mixed up.has anyone ever unplugged the 2 wire connector…

Continue

Another advantage of the Pertronix III

Posted by Doug Scarrow on November 23, 2019 at 11:12am 1 Comment

Having tried both the II and III I can say the multispark feature of the III offers a smoother idle . It is also easier to install .Does not require removal of the distributor

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service