Does anyone have experience with leaky pump or connections to pump?  I have a slow one and it's driving me crazy trying to see where the fluid is coming out.  It is definitely from the pump area (not cylanders) because that's where the puddle is...but everything seems dry and tight on the pump and hose connections.  Fill plug nice and tight, also.  

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Put baby powder around the connections and fill port plug. That will show where the leak is coming from.

That's a great idea, Russ - I will try that tonight, thanks!!

the hydro-e-lectric pump is divided in two parts, one is electric to drive the pump, and the other is the driven pump with reservoir.  There is a large o-ring that seals the two halves in the middle;  if your plug and lines are dry, then that is the next suspect.   
Also, the pump was filled with brake fluid, which absorbs water, so you could have a rusted reservoir with pinholes at the bottom.  

Get a new set of rubber mounts if yours are old, unplug and remove the pump assembly, hold it up in the air, and you'll see the source of the leak if it's not the lines. Don't try to reuse the rubber mounts if they're original.  life is too short to deal with hard rubber, and the pump will be much quieter if you replace hardened ones.

Great information and very helpful!  Thanks so much, Mark!

Turns out the leak is the opening where the three electrical wires (up, down and ground) come out of the motor.  Even if you tip the motor when it's not running, oil leaks out - and pours out pretty fast when the pump is operating.  The O ring sealing the two halves is fine.  There must be another seal somewhere inside the unit that is bad, but I don't know if this is accessible or if replacements are available.  Ugh.

Sounds like a new pump assembly is in order. 

there is a lip seal that goes around the shaft of the motor.  If is coming out of the motor end, it must be coming through there.   It would be a pain in the butt to find such a one-off seal, you don't know if the shaft is pitted, and even if you can fix the leak, now your electrical end windings are covered with brake fluid or trans fluid, so it's a matter of time before it gives out.   

I'd replace it.

Yep - I took the pump out and totally disassembled it.  The leak isn't coming from any of the serviceable parts...it's coming from the electrical motor part that is permanently sealed in metal.  As you point out, with oil all over the motor it's just a matter of time.

The shocker is how filthy the oil is.  Very dirty and soiled.  A new pump is a must, but I'd hate to get a new one then run so much crud into it.  On the other hand, the last thing I feel like doing is spending over $500 for new everything and then having to take out the seat & side panels to get at cylinders.  UGH.

Just my best guess — but  if you can plug the leak at the pump wires with an epoxy —that is  always oil and fuel ( gas ) proof 

J B Weld — comes to mind 

Clean any surface  completely around the wiring with alcohol ( and Q tips ) to remove any pump oil residue in the area to secure the bond and fill the wiring area with the epoxy and let it dry for the recommended time 

I have only used the slow dry 6 hour type myself not the quick dry 

If you can seal the leak that way the pump may come back to  being useable 
Do not have much to loose so worth a try 

If you  can stop the leaking  that  way the JB weld will  be a forever fix 

That might ( could ) work for you so worth a try as I see it 

Enjoy 

My suggested fix is a bit of a long shot as suggested — so replacing the unit should be the best way to fix this so you can forget it and move on to the next Repair required the car may be needing 

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Edelbrock 1406 Carburetor + Parts For Conversion For Sale

Started by Ian Osborne in For Sale. Last reply by Ian Osborne 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

Gentlemen,After 31 years I have sold my '63 convertible. Long story short is I got a price I believe was very respectable considering the market right now. That and I am moving on to finish my other…Continue

Radio restoration

Started by Joe DiIaconi in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Joe DiIaconi 2 hours ago. 3 Replies

I had my 1964 radio restored a few years ago and now it's not working correctly. Can anyone recommend a reputable place to have it restored again?Continue

Contact Looking for 1963 Coupe de Ville with VIN 63J037220

Started by Jason Edge in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 3 hours ago. 4 Replies

I have a contact that is trying to track down a 1963 Cadillac Coupe de Ville with VIN # 63J037220 that was owned by her father (huge sentimental value). The car was sold to a man in Pompano Beach, FL…Continue

63 Caddy Sedan Deville For Sale

Started by Bob Ricks in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Email me for more info.  bob@drkshark.comContinue

Tags: Sale, For

Blog Posts

1964 Cadillac Fleetwood sixty special / transmission dipstick needed

Posted by Pablo on September 20, 2020 at 9:57pm 1 Comment

How are you doing folks, I’m looking for a transmission dipstick, any info I will appreciated, thank you very much

1963 Cadillac hood driver side hinge

Posted by Steven on September 16, 2020 at 9:23am 1 Comment

Hello,

Does anyone know were I can buy a 1963 Cadillac hood driver side hinge or is there any other hinge that would fit? 

Thanks

Steven

Bad Guage?

Posted by Karl Schwarz on August 26, 2020 at 3:08pm 5 Comments

So I am troubleshooting my fuel gauge issue. I bought a new sender and tested it. It  it goes from 1-ohm (empty) to 35-ohm (full). When I test it (outside the tank), when the float is in the up (full) position it only moves the gauge to about 1/2 full. When at the bottom (empty) position the gauge shows empty. This is the same issue I have when I fill and then use the gas in the tank - the gauge never reads ore than half full. Based on what I've read on this thread it would seem like the…

Continue

Website

Posted by Fritz Seitz on August 11, 2020 at 2:35am 0 Comments

I have been working on a website-----www.fritzsautorepair.com-----

Does anyone have suggestions?

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service