If you recall my Westclox clock didn't work and it was not possible to take apart in an easy way. So I decided to convert my old clock to a modern quartz and I didn't want it to be too obvious. However even though the clock is now completed I still need to replace the pointers as the ones I'm currently using are not looking stock. Will think that part through one more step but wanted to share the current layout as it is now.

Using a quartz clock from a German manufacturer, price around  six USD. Took it apart and used only the quartz clock, as the battery holder for the AA-battery would make it too large for the Westclox housing. Then I bought a battery-holder for LR1 batteries. That's the best size I found, for a 1,5V battery, glued it in the bottom of the Westclox housing. Then it was all down to fitting it together. Except for the pointers you can't tell its been converted and its easy to replace the battery and set the clock. Its also stopping the drain on the main car battery...

Views: 482

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent job Anders!!! It's sometimes so much more rewarding to fix and execute a repair and improvement such as you've done here. Could have easily been sent out but this is the type of thing that is enjoyable, for me, working on our cars.

I think the hands look fine. The average person will have no clue of the difference

Thanks,

Problem is; you and I are not average...

How many people will you meet that will see the difference Anders? Leave it like it is when you are happy with it.

Kinda agree. Nobody would know... except me every time in the car.

Have the hands on my desk. Will try to modify them.

There is no rush as I'm not gonna be using the car until late April anyways. A little more than a week ago we got about 50 cm / 1,5 feet snow. Its melted now, but they think we will have a severe winter. So both cars are parked for the winter.

Time is running out on you LOL
Is there a 12 volt equivalent to that type of clock? I hate changing batteries in my home clocks let alone my car. LOL

I'm not aware of any. If I would have found a 12V quartz clock then I would have used it. Was looking for a 12V to 1,5V small transformator as well before settling on a battery.

Radio shack use to sell those lighter adaptors where you could select 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, or 9 volts. They were kind of cumbersome if you needed to hide something but in a pinch remember taking one to power a 6 volt auto reverse cassette player I had worked into an alarm system (long story!). Since every thing was tucked under amp and alarm boxes it didn't matter. If you are into wiring you can also simply use resistors to build a voltage divider circuit.  I did some quick math and it looks like a jumper wire between a 10KΩ and 1.5KΩ resistors would get you in the ball park. (1.43KΩ would put you almost exactly on 1.5 Volts).  Somewhere between a big bulky DC 12 volt lighter transformer and a crude wiring between 2 resistors, there is probably a simplified stepdown that could be tucked in the light housing.

Sounds like a good idea. However I'm not an electrician and fear that I would make a mess of it completely. So I stick with the battery. A quick turn to left, unscrew 3 small screws and replace the battery and set the clock. Takes less than 5 minutes and I can do that once a year without a problem, so in 10 years I am looking on less than 1 hour of work. If I would try to build something that would transform and fit into the housing it will take me many hours and most likely cost a lot more.

Nothing anymore involved than what you have already done. Just a couple of resistors with the setup basically being 12 volt source to 10KΩ resistor to 1.5KΩ resistor to ground, with jumper wire between the 2 resistors to feed the 1.5 Volt clock. Insulate everything and you would be good to go. Knowing what I do not, to keep it compact I would probably make the connections, run some good electrical tape around each individual component then put some thick heat shrink around everything. You could also just embed in electrical putty and electrical tape. (that's how I make "wet connections" with my low voltage outside lighting.) Google voltage divider circuit and you will see the formula and circuit. You would be surprised how simple it is.

The internet is unbelievable. I can not believe there are still people out there that are against getting smart phones and don't know how to turn on a home computer. I've been in meetings at work where someone is making stupid statements and I do a quick search with my phone under the table for the correct answer. It stopped people pretty quick from making statements as facts that they pulled out of their asses.

Reminds me of my formidable years when I had to get on a bike and ride 5 miles to the nearest library to study my current interest! As a child of a divorced laid off truck driver, we were pretty poor, and that Funk & Wagnall set of encyclopedia and the current year Almanac, and a few other reference books served as my window to the world. I couldn't imagine being a 12 year old again and having the instant access to everything we all do via our computers, phones, vehicles, TV's and other appliances!  That's one reason why for me I have the latest smartphones and smart TV's ...  It enriches my life exponentially and saves time, money, provides entertainment,  and connects me with others.... such as our 1963/64 Cadillac Website and Chapter members... just to keep this Cadillac related!!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

'63 390 rebuild question

Started by Chris Gill in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 2 hours ago. 17 Replies

Hi Folks,I'm in the process of rebuilding the 390. It's going slow mostly because the previous owner didn't do a good job of labeling bolts, nuts, etc. when they disassembled the engine, not to…Continue

1963/64 Cadillac Chapter March 2019 Newsletter Posted

Started by Jason Edge in Newsletters. Last reply by Jason Edge 5 hours ago. 1 Reply

I have just completed and posted the March 2019, 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter…Continue

Pricing Question

Started by David Cotton in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 7 hours ago. 2 Replies

Hi There- I am in Ontario Canada so the prices wont be exactly the same as the USA- but I still have a pricing question. I have another Cadillac guy bugging me for my 1964 Headlight buckets and…Continue

power window relay wiring

Started by tom servas in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by tom servas 10 hours ago. 11 Replies

Having trouble getting to controlling power windows from driver and passengers seat controllers.  Can only operate windows from DRIVERS controls with lockout switch in EMERGENCY POSITION.  Just …Continue

Blog Posts

64 Recirc/Fresh Air Door Actuator replaced; FROM THE INSIDE.

Posted by Norman Silverman on February 4, 2019 at 11:21pm 8 Comments

I am happy to report that I have successfully replaced the Fresh Air/Recirc door actuator that is located on the blower box-and have done so without having to remove the blower box. I did it by taking out the glove box and attacking it from the back.  It took several days, LOTS of patience and some band-aids, but it is done. THE most difficult part -BY FAR- is to remove and then replace the screw that sits on the actuator arm, connecting it to the fresh…

Continue

Flashers

Posted by Mike Petrey on January 13, 2019 at 12:25pm 7 Comments

Where do the flashers go in my 64 Deville Convert.  I'm thinking that's why both turn signals stopped working.

Source for Motor mounts and Trans mounts 1964 SDV

Posted by Norman Silverman on January 9, 2019 at 4:23pm 4 Comments

Hi.

Where is the best place to purchase good quality motor mounts/trans mounts for my 1964 SDV? I see that Rock Auto has them for $8 and change, and others for $24 and change. Big difference. Is there a better place to buy them from?

Thanks

Norm

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service