I just took my 63 Coupe de Ville out of storage.  While walking around the car with the lights on, I noticed that the left taillight is much dimmer than the right side.  What could be the cause of this?  I was also looking into replacing the standard 1157 bulbs to brighter LED ones.  From what I understand, a load resistor would have to be installed.  Do I need this, and if so, where would I wire it into?  I have tried to polish and brighten up the inside of the taillight housing as Jason had previously suggested to me, but the brake light/turn signals still seem awfully dim, especially during daylight hours.  I am on a tight budget this summer, so any suggestions to keep costs at a minimum would be very much appreciated.

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The interior lens's may be dirty. A poor ground will keep a bulb dim.

So where would I find the ground to check it?

The socket is grounded to the housing. The socket can be loose in the housing, or the housing could be loose in the bumper end.

The socket is crimped into the housing, and I fix that by using a punch or chisel to stake the ends back to the housing.

Always clean the grounds when ever starting to solve an electrical problem
More often than not it will fix the problem
Gound connections need to be cleaned after many years of use to conduct power as they SB

Enjoy

My lights were dim too.  I removed the lenses and the horizontal pieces were covered with dust.  I have now replace the seals.  I got new ones from McVey's.  The lights are much brighter now. 

I too want LEDs.  I bought them from BrightLED.com, but their design prevented me from pushing them in far enough to twist them into place, so I sent them back.  You do not need a resistor if you install an electronic flasher, which you can buy from brightled.com or probably any auto parts store.

If anyone has successfully installed LEDs into their taillight, I would like to know from whom you bought them.

John

I sell a LED light assembly for the 63. It makes the tail light and brake lights super bright. These are professionally made by Lambert Enterprises.  

You can see them on my web site www.1963caddyshack.com   They are 250.00

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Fuel gauge access

Started by Tosh Dickenson in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tosh Dickenson 2 hours ago. 2 Replies

Do I really have to remove the dash pad to access the back of the instrument panel..specifically the fuel gauge.  1964 DevilleContinue

Convertible Top Pump Leak

Started by Lee Martin in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Lee Martin 8 hours ago. 5 Replies

Does anyone have experience with leaky pump or connections to pump?  I have a slow one and it's driving me crazy trying to see where the fluid is coming out.  It is definitely from the pump area (not…Continue

Fuel Gage

Started by Dominic Salemi in General Discussion. Last reply by Dominic Salemi 8 hours ago. 5 Replies

Any help on this 1964 Cadillac. My fuel gage is pegged over the full line. Is there a way I can tell without pulling everything apart to figure out if it is the gage or fuel unit. I disconnected the…Continue

ONLINE SERVICE MANUAL

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 14 hours ago. 2 Replies

I dont know if anyone has posted this, I stumbled on it and found most of the manual as a pdf.  kind of handy when i downloaded it onto the phone and am under car..anyway, here are the links that i…Continue

Blog Posts

63 Caddy Horn

Posted by Robert Alan Shannon on May 27, 2020 at 9:25am 10 Comments

Just noticed a 1963  Caddy trumpet horn on Ebay. No part # given but some of his other items are 1963 specific, just throwin this out there, I have no connection to this listing .

Wiring connection help.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 24, 2020 at 9:15pm 2 Comments

Can someone help me figure where these connections go? I have a 64 60 special if it matters.…

Continue

Wood grain finally done.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 20, 2020 at 4:57pm 3 Comments

After years of wanting to, I finally redid my wood dash paneling on my 64 60s. Not too hard to do either.…

Continue

390 engine replacement needed

Posted by Jason on May 18, 2020 at 7:54pm 1 Comment

I’m looking for a 1963 Cadillac 390 engine that runs. 

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service