Views: 567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a similar issue when I installed mine. Turns out they are giving me a bad proportioning valve, which they replaced for free.
They’ve already replaced the prop valve for the disc-disc setup and still it does slooooooow down...
start to regret the fricken ‘conversion’

Those are self adjusting calipers...or maybe there’s a trick to it...?!
What was the ‘washer’ issue you had???
What washer are you talking about ?

Hey Joe D 

Glad to see you pop in from time to time 

Your Caddy must be running good for you not to be around much — a good thing !!  (  per Martha Stuart ) 

Enjoy 

When you call the company —-ask them what needs to be done for there brakes to stop your car as they should be doing —-and leave the burden of solving the problem to them 

Speak only with the person in charge ( hopefully the owner ) 

I think—— the proportioning valve is only used when using discs on the front and drums on the rear to balance the braking system pressures 

Are you sure your brake installation was done correctly at the wheels ?  ( caliper washers in the correct place as Joe D explained in a prior post - or other installation issues ? ) 

It feels like there is not enough pressure in your braking system to be pushing the caliper pistons into the rotors hard enough to make proper contact with them —-and stop the car 

Was the power booster —-and the master cylinder —new and replaced as those control the pressure to the system 

The master cylinder — may be a part of the issue as that controls the brake fluids pressure in the braking system 

If the MC was not replaced   ( or could be  new defective )  that W/b the first part I would be looking to replace with this issue myself  ( after the companies suggestions ) 

The type of brake fluid used could effect the systems pressure making the peddle feel softer than other brake fluids 

Be sure you have the recommended fluid for your braking system now 

Do be very careful with the brakes not working correctly — can be dangerous 

That S/b a good start to get to the bottom of the problem 

Enjoy 

Your power booster arm to the MC may not be adjusted correctly  internally possibly applying less pressure than it SB to the MC and not allowing the master cylinder internal arm to travel as much as it should to build the correct pressure in the system 

Again effecting the pressure in the braking system in a negative way when not properly extended 

Just my best guesses based on the symptoms 

Enjoy 

Last year I went over the Master Cylinder and a Booster, measured the internal arm etc... everything is correct!

I dont get that ‚washer’ issue JoeD talks about... too bad he’s not participating in this conversation.

I am having problems with my front disk brake dragging.  The temperature is 130 with no brake usage.  It that to hot? Dave

Dave 

i have no idea about disc brake temps but that logically seems like the temp SB high if they are dragging ( excessive friction ) 

That will cause premature brake  pad wear for sure 

Brakes dragging could cause issue with your Trans as you can be overworking the trans and raising the temps it runs at (  a strain ) 

You need to find the cause of the brakes dragging issue and repair it 

If you have the proportioning valve on the front I would be thinking that could be the issue if it went bad 

I assume the front discs were not dragging  and working correctly at some point in time and then started to drag on you 

Enjoy 

Dave 

Same advice to contact your disc brake company and explain your issue and see what they have to say for a possible solution to the dragging pads and go from there 

Enjoy 

The washers go between the caliper and it’s mounting bracket per Joe D’s Post near the beginning of this thread  ( his  post starts out answering a question  by Clovis and then me )

Enjoy

The washers go between the caliper and it’s mounting bracket per Joe D’s Post near the beginning of this thread  ( his  post starts out answering a question  by Clovis and then me )

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Is this possible or total BS?

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kim K Kaiser 15 minutes ago. 2 Replies

After changing tie rods, i tokk car into wheel n allignment shop. He said no problem.  He calls back about 45 minutes later and said they couldnt get between the tire and cowl, the guys head was too…Continue

Vacuum / Parking Brake / NSS Question

Started by Karl Schwarz in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Karl Schwarz 1 hour ago. 2 Replies

I bought a 1963 Series 62 Convertible in July.It makes a hissing sound when in neutral, and sometimes when in drive (when the shift is more to the left that the right. I assume this related to a NSS…Continue

Tail pipe black stuff!

Started by Lambert Ross in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Lambert Ross yesterday. 10 Replies

any ideas how to clear the ugly black stuff shooting out from my tailpipe? After a long layover, it really messes up the garage floor. I assume its carbon but am not sure how best to react to it.…Continue

Had the 64 convert out for a spin

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

A two hour ride to my favorite restaurant on the water in Crystal River on the west coast  of central Florida —top down 77 degrees and 47 % humidity one outstanding day as will be the rest of the…Continue

Tags: Fl, River, Crystal

Blog Posts

still need a driveshaft

Posted by wayne weaver on November 26, 2019 at 11:53am 0 Comments

well thank you UPS for losing the driveshaft that Russ Austin shipped me. 

however i still need a rear driveshaft section for my 63. mine has a vibration due to the bushing inside of it. its a shame because the ball and sockets in the cardian joints are perfect but it has a woble on the balancing machine. so .  still need the rear section. anyone have a good one ? is there driveshaft alternatives to use ? i am really considering an LS swap and since im fighting the driveshaft search…

Continue

63 guidematic issues

Posted by maurice lapoiinte on November 24, 2019 at 3:10pm 0 Comments

So my 63 guide matic headlamps stay on low beam all the time. I have so far bypassed the system and everything works normal. I have been thru the trouble shooting in the manual but this is where the confusion begins.on my car when the power relay is powered I have low beam and when its not powered I have highbeam, this appears to be opposite what the diagnosis says should be correct.The wiring is all original and no wires have been mixed up.has anyone ever unplugged the 2 wire connector…

Continue

Another advantage of the Pertronix III

Posted by Doug Scarrow on November 23, 2019 at 11:12am 1 Comment

Having tried both the II and III I can say the multispark feature of the III offers a smoother idle . It is also easier to install .Does not require removal of the distributor

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service