Views: 504

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a similar issue when I installed mine. Turns out they are giving me a bad proportioning valve, which they replaced for free.
They’ve already replaced the prop valve for the disc-disc setup and still it does slooooooow down...
start to regret the fricken ‘conversion’

Those are self adjusting calipers...or maybe there’s a trick to it...?!
What was the ‘washer’ issue you had???
What washer are you talking about ?

Hey Joe D 

Glad to see you pop in from time to time 

Your Caddy must be running good for you not to be around much — a good thing !!  (  per Martha Stuart ) 

Enjoy 

When you call the company —-ask them what needs to be done for there brakes to stop your car as they should be doing —-and leave the burden of solving the problem to them 

Speak only with the person in charge ( hopefully the owner ) 

I think—— the proportioning valve is only used when using discs on the front and drums on the rear to balance the braking system pressures 

Are you sure your brake installation was done correctly at the wheels ?  ( caliper washers in the correct place as Joe D explained in a prior post - or other installation issues ? ) 

It feels like there is not enough pressure in your braking system to be pushing the caliper pistons into the rotors hard enough to make proper contact with them —-and stop the car 

Was the power booster —-and the master cylinder —new and replaced as those control the pressure to the system 

The master cylinder — may be a part of the issue as that controls the brake fluids pressure in the braking system 

If the MC was not replaced   ( or could be  new defective )  that W/b the first part I would be looking to replace with this issue myself  ( after the companies suggestions ) 

The type of brake fluid used could effect the systems pressure making the peddle feel softer than other brake fluids 

Be sure you have the recommended fluid for your braking system now 

Do be very careful with the brakes not working correctly — can be dangerous 

That S/b a good start to get to the bottom of the problem 

Enjoy 

Your power booster arm to the MC may not be adjusted correctly  internally possibly applying less pressure than it SB to the MC and not allowing the master cylinder internal arm to travel as much as it should to build the correct pressure in the system 

Again effecting the pressure in the braking system in a negative way when not properly extended 

Just my best guesses based on the symptoms 

Enjoy 

Last year I went over the Master Cylinder and a Booster, measured the internal arm etc... everything is correct!

I dont get that ‚washer’ issue JoeD talks about... too bad he’s not participating in this conversation.

I am having problems with my front disk brake dragging.  The temperature is 130 with no brake usage.  It that to hot? Dave

Dave 

i have no idea about disc brake temps but that logically seems like the temp SB high if they are dragging ( excessive friction ) 

That will cause premature brake  pad wear for sure 

Brakes dragging could cause issue with your Trans as you can be overworking the trans and raising the temps it runs at (  a strain ) 

You need to find the cause of the brakes dragging issue and repair it 

If you have the proportioning valve on the front I would be thinking that could be the issue if it went bad 

I assume the front discs were not dragging  and working correctly at some point in time and then started to drag on you 

Enjoy 

Dave 

Same advice to contact your disc brake company and explain your issue and see what they have to say for a possible solution to the dragging pads and go from there 

Enjoy 

The washers go between the caliper and it’s mounting bracket per Joe D’s Post near the beginning of this thread  ( his  post starts out answering a question  by Clovis and then me )

Enjoy

The washers go between the caliper and it’s mounting bracket per Joe D’s Post near the beginning of this thread  ( his  post starts out answering a question  by Clovis and then me )

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Rear glass

Started by David Stapp in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by David Stapp 14 minutes ago. 10 Replies

anyone know of a company that makes the rear glass for our cars? I can’t seem to find any. 1964 4 door 4 window hard top.…Continue

Where can I buy resistance wire for my 1963?

Started by Tim Walterson in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tim Walterson 17 minutes ago. 4 Replies

Hello - just signed up for this forum - looks like a great resource!  I perused the posts and did some searches.  I see most of the posts related to my questions are about doing away with resistance…Continue

front engine pulley removal

Started by tom servas in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by tom servas 11 hours ago. 7 Replies

Am removing the front cover on our 64 engine with AC. Have all 6 bolts that hold the pulley onto the damper removed, can wiggle the pulley BUT it will not come fully off the damper, Is there…Continue

Blog Posts

Is there a separate Starter Relay, or does the Solenoid serve that purpose?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 30, 2019 at 5:57pm 7 Comments

Hello All.

I will be replacing the starter solenoid tomorrow (actually my mechanic will do the work, I'll just supervise). In checking the FSM electrical schematic and chapter verbiage, I don't see anything that looks like (or is referred to as) a starter Relay. It seems the Starter Solenoid serves the function and there's no separate relay. Right or Wrong?

If wrong, where…

Continue

Starter Solenoid replacement-how difficult? Where to buy?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 20, 2019 at 8:24pm 8 Comments

Hello All.

I believe the starter solenoid has gone bad in my 64 DeVille. When I turn the key, often all I get is a click, then if I try a few times again the starter turns perfectly. All battery cables are on tight and the battery is good. So, I believe this problem is the solenoid. Where do I buy the right solenoid and is it necessary to remove the starter in order to swap it out? …

Continue

Frame Markings

Posted by Gene McIlroy on August 12, 2019 at 6:26pm 1 Comment

Just got my frame back from powder coating so thought I would post photos of the front and rear frame markings.…

Continue

Lining up the drive shaft

Posted by Dominic Salemi on August 12, 2019 at 5:47pm 2 Comments

Can anyone shed some light on how to position the complete drive shaft in the correct position? I want to make sure my drive shaft is installed properly.

Thanks

Dominic

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service