I know I'm not the only one who has dealt with constantly failing exhaust manifold gaskets but I have the heads off for a valve job and I'm trying to fix the issue once and for all. Well, maybe for a long time would be more realistic.

I know the topic has been discussed here but I am wondering if anyone stumbled onto a great fix.

In general, the manifolds are solid with no cracks or defects. I believe they are in pretty good shape for 56 year old parts. Years ago I had the manifold mating surfaces machined flat and checking them now, they still look good.  The surfaces are solid, without any deterioration and the flatness is still good checking them with a straight edge and on a flat surface plate. I will check the cylinder head surface as well but they are less prone to problems.

I will attach them to the heads before installing so this is my chance to get everything right. Obviously I will install new gaskets and figure on using a non-hardening, high-temperature sealer. I also plan to use some Loc-Tite on the threads as the bolts don't use lock washers and they have had a habit of backing out.

The gasket sides are different with one side being more perforated looking. Is there a correct way to install them?

Any other observations or suggestions?

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks great!

Do torque all the  exhaust manifold bolts  again. ( if possible ? )  after the engine has been run up to operating temp and cooled down 

Is just standard procedure when engine rebuilding to recheck everything at that time 

Hope this solves the  frustrating problem you have been working hard to correct so you can get her out and enjoy the experience of owning these great cars 

Enjoy 

Just to follow up on this, it's eight months down the road and all is well. Since I made mine, I've seen these on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1964-1965-1966-390-429-Cadillac-Coppe...

This is the seller's second set so I don't know how many are left. They are well worth the money if you are considering this route.

Very glad to here the copper exhaust gaskets are working as good as was anticipated

Will help many who are dealing with exhaust leaking issues to get them solved 

A job you need to do only once and done due to difficulty 

Enjoy and Stay Safe 

Nice job fabricating your gaskets. Here is a pretty good option that I use. They are grafoil gaskets from Remflex. I use them on my car with my home built headers and they work great. I would expect that they would work equally well on stock manifolds. The best thing about them is they are thick and soft enough to make up for imperfections when torqued down. They also are fairly resistant to blowing out if some of the exhaust manifold bolts back off a bit giving you a chance to re torque them before they are damaged to the point they are toast, like the stock ones. 

https://catalog.remflex.com/CADILLAC_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket...

Dan 

Very Nice job  with the repairs 

Sounds like the Super Hot Rod Classic Antique Cadillac is performing as expected after a bit of a reboot 

Enjoy your great car  —and one of a kind creation you have the pleasure of owning 

Enjoy 

I've had custom exhaust gaskets made for radial aircraft engines in both grafoil and copper. If there is an interest I could see about having sets made and was thinking copper as Ian has done but grafoil for the manifold to pipe gasket. If there is enough interest I could look in to it. 

Ian

Which tool did you use to cut the copper material 

I do see the holes you drilled to help cut the box part out of the Center part of the gasket 

Enjoy and thanks 

Tony,

After drilling the holes, I clamped them down on a mill and ran an end mill to cut the straights and connect the holes. I have the luxury of a machine shop at my disposal but copper is soft and easy to work with so I think the job could be done with hand tools. A drill, a good pair of tin snips, a Dremel and some files should be enough to do it. I got the copper from McMaster Carr.

If you need I have some copper exhaust manifold gaskets for sale...

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

390 with vibrations

Started by Bo Authèn in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 20 minutes ago. 6 Replies

After renovating both the engine and the automat, I have vibrations. Not sure if they come from the engine or the transmission. Can the flexplate versus converter be wrong? or the flexplate against…Continue

Jason

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 2 hours ago. 0 Replies

I really liked your comment about  the social distancing  rule  regarding our year cars - as requiring a cell phone due to the extensive distance between individuals  —— now that’s FUNNY —-LOL !…Continue

Tags: distancing, Social

63 deville

Started by Brian in Wanted to Buy 5 hours ago. 0 Replies

Hello everyone, I’m looking for a 63 Cadillac deville left and right lower front bumper buckets. If you have any for sale or know of anyone selling any, please let me know. Thank you Continue

Gas tank overfilling and fumes...anybody else?

Started by Tosh Dickenson in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 8 hours ago. 3 Replies

Anybody else have a problem with your gas tank overfilling then draining out the overflow?  I've done the service bulletin with relocating the vent and drilling the hole in the top.Every so often…Continue

Blog Posts

64 Power Servo vacuum leak

Posted by Kent Prows on June 27, 2020 at 4:02pm 0 Comments

I finally got around to fixing a leak in my heater core.  I decided to check to see if there were any other obvious issues while I had everything torn apart.  When I put a vacuum directly (bypassing the transducer) to the power servo it gets to about 10" and then slowly leaks back to zero.  The fan will not go to full and the mode door will not open completely.  I have read a couple of other posts that said they repaired the power servo leaks.  How?  Does anyone have one to sell?  I just…

Continue

63 Caddy Horn

Posted by Robert Alan Shannon on May 27, 2020 at 9:25am 9 Comments

Just noticed a 1963  Caddy trumpet horn on Ebay. No part # given but some of his other items are 1963 specific, just throwin this out there, I have no connection to this listing .

Wiring connection help.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 24, 2020 at 9:15pm 2 Comments

Can someone help me figure where these connections go? I have a 64 60 special if it matters.…

Continue

Wood grain finally done.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 20, 2020 at 4:57pm 3 Comments

After years of wanting to, I finally redid my wood dash paneling on my 64 60s. Not too hard to do either.…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service