My newly acquired '64 Coupe DeVille suffers from a cracked right side exhaust manifold.

It looks like my options are limited to rolling the dice on a used manifold, converting to headers or seeing if I can get the crack welded up.

I've done all three of these options on other vehicles with mixed results.  Really not a fan of headers and it looks like Sanderson is the only game in town and reviews are mixed.

Would really appreciate input from others who have dealt with this problem.

Thanks!

Dutch

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dutch 

your best option is to locate a good right side  (  passenger side ) stock exhaust manifold in good shape 

Do repair yours If at all possible 

The headers are far from plug and play 

i used Hemmings Motor News to locate that part 15 years ago so no idea what is going on to acquire one now 

was a salvage yard In Arizona then 

Good idea if you find one to have a machine shop plane the contact surfaces  flat —that go to the head as they can warp slightly  ( for a better fit to the head surface ) 

Removing the old exhaust manifold bolts without braking them in the head is the next challenge 

Try the - Help —section for info on the head bolt removal by Jason Edge 

Enjoy 

Thanks for the reply, I agree that finding a replacement is best.  The crack is large so I may have to attempt a repair until I can locate a manifold.

I hear you on getting it off without breaking bolts.  Fortunately in a former life I was a mechanic and worked in a shop that replaced many cracked manifolds so I got pretty adept at removing them without breaking bolts and occasionally removing broken bolts.  I'll let it soak in penetrating oil for a long time before attempting to remove.

Jason 

is the passenger exhaust manifold you just pulled available to Dutch or is it spoken for on your wait list ?

enjoy 

Assuming I can get the RH exhaust manifold off without damaging it, I will start going down my Wait List. I currently have 5 customers looking for a 64 RH Exhaust Manifold, spanning back to 2015. Two of them are Chapter members and were only added this past year, but will get 1st dibbs. I can add  you to my Wait List if you like. Email me your contact info to jasonedge@nc.rr.com.  Join the CLC and then our free Chapter and you will bump ahead the other non-chapter members. To join the CLC go to www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/join

out of curiosity,,,, if you dont find a replacement, and the other options sound like a guess it il work at best,, what do you do then?   do you look for another engine?  i mean if none of your options work,  were does one go from there..

If all else fails, I'll have to go with headers.  Right now I'm hoping I'll find a decent used manifold.  Luckily(?) it's heading into rainy season here so I'll have time to work on options.  I was under the car today and see that the crack is almost completely encircling the manifold so I think welding is no longer an option.

Hello, I have one that was repaired. I'm not sure if the weld is visible or not as I had this done years ago and don't recall. The mounting side was machined flat so no warpage. If interested let me know and I'll find it in the garage.

I'm very interested, thanks John!

I assume '63 is different? If it can work, I have one available.

As best I can remember the driver side exhaust  manifold can be replaced with a number of  Cadillac

years 

The 64 passenger manifold side— is a one year only replacement part 

The 64 passenger side manifold exits out the back while the 63 exits out the middle of the manifold so they are not the same part 

I found mine years ago in Hemmings Motor News in a savage yard in Arizona 

Hemmings would be a  very good source I would give a try to locate that part 

We really need a company —-to make a good set of plug and play headers —( anybody up for this task ? ) for our year cars to improve performance as these exhaust manifolds get very difficult to be locating in good condition as time moves on and these cars get old as dirt

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Rear glass

Started by David Stapp in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 9 hours ago. 9 Replies

anyone know of a company that makes the rear glass for our cars? I can’t seem to find any. 1964 4 door 4 window hard top.…Continue

front engine pulley removal

Started by tom servas in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by tom servas 10 hours ago. 7 Replies

Am removing the front cover on our 64 engine with AC. Have all 6 bolts that hold the pulley onto the damper removed, can wiggle the pulley BUT it will not come fully off the damper, Is there…Continue

Where can I buy resistance wire for my 1963?

Started by Tim Walterson in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 14 hours ago. 3 Replies

Hello - just signed up for this forum - looks like a great resource!  I perused the posts and did some searches.  I see most of the posts related to my questions are about doing away with resistance…Continue

Blog Posts

Is there a separate Starter Relay, or does the Solenoid serve that purpose?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 30, 2019 at 5:57pm 7 Comments

Hello All.

I will be replacing the starter solenoid tomorrow (actually my mechanic will do the work, I'll just supervise). In checking the FSM electrical schematic and chapter verbiage, I don't see anything that looks like (or is referred to as) a starter Relay. It seems the Starter Solenoid serves the function and there's no separate relay. Right or Wrong?

If wrong, where…

Continue

Starter Solenoid replacement-how difficult? Where to buy?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 20, 2019 at 8:24pm 8 Comments

Hello All.

I believe the starter solenoid has gone bad in my 64 DeVille. When I turn the key, often all I get is a click, then if I try a few times again the starter turns perfectly. All battery cables are on tight and the battery is good. So, I believe this problem is the solenoid. Where do I buy the right solenoid and is it necessary to remove the starter in order to swap it out? …

Continue

Frame Markings

Posted by Gene McIlroy on August 12, 2019 at 6:26pm 1 Comment

Just got my frame back from powder coating so thought I would post photos of the front and rear frame markings.…

Continue

Lining up the drive shaft

Posted by Dominic Salemi on August 12, 2019 at 5:47pm 2 Comments

Can anyone shed some light on how to position the complete drive shaft in the correct position? I want to make sure my drive shaft is installed properly.

Thanks

Dominic

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service