I was at the auto parts store last night replacing my alternator and forgot to disconnect my battery. Massive face palm. Before I installed the new alternator, the wire from the alternator to the battery touched something metal and is now toast. Installed the new alternator, and tried to patch the burnt part of the fusible link just so I could get it home, but had no luck. Any advice on a quick fix to get the car home?

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ran a 10 gauge wire and wrapped one end on the positive terminal and spliced the other side to a good part of the wire and was able to get it back on the road. Guy at the shop swore that the wire wasn't the problem even after I told him it was on fire the night before. Har har har. Anyways, don't forget to disconnect that battery like I did! 

I have an extra fusable link fitted just near the battery itself for just such an occasion.

I also carry spare fusible link in the trunk, also for just such an occasion. I bet you wish you did too.

It is so easy to forget to drop the lead off the battery, especially if you're in a rush. 

I currently have our own battery disconnected while the clock is out of the dash.

I saw your discussion about the fusible link that you added and I'm gonna have to wire up something similar. My car has a bunch of sketchy wiring and it makes me nervous. 

Glad you remembered to disconnect your battery while taking out the clock. I remember the first time I pulled the clock out of the housing and got a nice scare not realizing the housing was what was grounding it. 

Our car, had suffered a short in the A/C at some point and the fuse box was a bit "how's ya father" from that point on, (before our ownership) so a couple of years ago, I had a brand new fuse box grafted in and it uses the later style plug and play fuse. 

Like yourself Chris, I also get nervous around cars having a short and burning to the ground. I'd be friggin mortified if happened.

It is pretty funny when bump something and it arcs.... Everybody shits themselves and then usually manage to arc a second time on something else.

You're one of the first people I've seen actually swap in a new fuse box. Eventually they all need an overhaul, or a replacement. Glad your swap went without a hitch. 

Wish I had been filming last night. It was quite the fireworks show. Would have made some good YouTube footage. 

The poor bugger that did it for was semi retired, but after laying upside down over the scuff plate for hours on end, his back was shot to hell.

From that day on, he only ever did stuff that was real easy... LOL :-)

Phil was good too, really methodical, fairly slow going, but at only $25.00 an hour, it was a good thing done at a bugger all price. From memory, the new fuse box cost bugger all too, as it came from a good mate who manages an auto electrical outlet.

Ripper for piece of mind. Not factory, but who gives a rats arse. LOL

What size of fuse you are using?

I think I will copy your setup, but might use an autofuse. 

I have new clips that you put in the fuse block. email me or check out my web site in the new parts tab.

www.1963caddyshack.com

russ85747@hotmail.com

I'll grab a couple of pics for to show the location we used.

From memory, it was an 80 amp unit. 

I put in a new fuse style box in my 63 M-M hearse, and rebuilt the fuse box in my 63 Superior hearse.

I removed the fusible link when I installed the 150 amp alternator. I no longer have the voltage regulator so there really isnt anything to protect with that link. It was just something else that could go wrong so it's gone just like the points.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Cadillac King - UNFAIR, Unprofessional

Started by Edward in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 6 minutes ago. 6 Replies

Hi Good America Today I’ll like to bring awareness, and hope to help prevent future headaches. 20years and they still got my order wrong !At Cadillac King i spent over 1400$ on parts. I specifically…Continue

Rear main Follow up replacement and repair,,

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kim K Kaiser 17 minutes ago. 64 Replies

Well, got it all together,, Jason, i was looking in the wrong chapter in the manual on the starter,, got that figured out.  everything hooked back upGot it put back together, started up, and oil…Continue

Movie Star Cars.

Started by Kevin Campbell in General Discussion. Last reply by Kevin Campbell 8 hours ago. 19 Replies

We have the Village Roadshow film studios about an 1.5 hour drive away.They've put out a call for cars to appear in a movie about Elvis. :-)So, I nominated our 64 Fleetwood as a potential "Movie Star…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 12 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

driveshaft help

Posted by wayne weaver on October 9, 2019 at 4:41pm 1 Comment

can anyone help me with a driveshaft ? I have a 1963 Cadillac 62 series 4dr with the hydro-matic trans. I need the male splined shaft on the front of the rear driveshaft section. the piece with the nut attached by clip.id be willing to buy a shaft if its not horribly priced.

Dash removal

Posted by Jake Mickley on October 9, 2019 at 12:06am 9 Comments

Hello everyone,

On a 63 CDV, if a guy wanted to remove the entire dash to get all the metal painted, and do some other things behind there, how would he go about doing that?  I checked here and the shop manual, but can't find a complete guide.

As always, and help or direction is appreciated.  Thanks!

--Jake

Introducing myself

Posted by Gary Marchand on October 7, 2019 at 9:32pm 8 Comments

Thanks for letting me join the club.  Picked up this ‘64 Coupe Deville a few months ago out of Beverly MA, the car has few stickers on it from various Cadillac clubs, didn’t know if anyone might recognize it from it’s “Glory days.” Everything seems pretty healthy except for the body and some very Mickey Mouse repairs, was wondering if anyone had any leads on…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service