18 years back and many miles since, I replaced the Factory original Mode Actuator and heater core. Well, a couple of weeks back the replacement Mode Actuator failed. I ordered a new Actuator from Old Air Products. I figured even though the Heater core was still good, not leaking, I might as well replace it while I had everything apart. I ordered the new heater core from Rock Auto. I have the Heater Box assembled but I haven't installed it under the dash, yet. For anyone interested, I uploaded to my page, some pictures of the Heater Box, etc. I was able to remove the Heater Box from under the dash without removing the blower housing from the engine bay firewall or removing the hood hinge, as the shop manual lists to do.

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David 

Nice work on the 63 Ac heat box and  the fuel pump 

You got me thinking ( reminding me ) about jumping into  doing my 64 comfort control which I have purchased all the parts for a short while ago 

Been to hot in Florida but the weather will be getting real sweet very soon 

I  realize I am hung up on what to do about removing  the passenger hood hinge to get the project started as I do need to get into the blower box myself 

That engine hood is a serious heavy weight item to be dealing with 

Most of all I miss  not having my heater working for those —brisk very cool  nights  coming home from a day out with the top down

The 429 buts out enough heat when called on  to heat a small apartment building —LOL !

Always enough heat to keep the front seat extremely comfortable with the top down 

I seldom use the AC because the top is always down but I still need to have it working correctly in my pride and joy 

Enjoy 

Hi Tony, thanks for the kind words. As Russ and I stated, no need to remove the hood or hinge to get the under dash ductwork out. There are 6 speed nuts securing the duct to the firewall. All can be removed with a deep well  1/4 inch drive socket and long extensions and a universal joint. The nut under the hinge area will require a little fanagling, but it is doable.

The Airtex fuel pump failed at 15k miles. It spit the intake valve out. As you can see in the picture,  it was not staked in at the factory. 

Understood about getting the under dash air box out with the  passenger hinge  in place 

Can the blower motor box and the evaporator with the suction valve ( on the inner fender ) be remove as well with the hinge in place even if it takes a bit more effort doing it that way ? 

I do have a 64 with comfort control so the 63 SB a bit different design than mine 

Enjoy 

On the 63, I think the blower housing could be removed after removing the heater box without having to remove the hinge. I've never removed the evaporator,  but would think it would then be removed following the shop manual steps.

David 

Removing the under dash air box and then the blower box sounds like a good plan 

With the blower box out should be easier to get to the evaporator out  to check it’s condition 

Working around the hinge looks like a good plan  from the posts here 

Enjoy 

David 

It is possible to epoxy glue the valve in the fuel pump to hold it in place permanently 

Epoxy is gasoline proof and I have repaired fuel pumps in the past with it that held up for the very long haul 

i clean the surface with 91 % alcohol first 

Just another way to get that repaired done to last 

Hard to believe the valve was never installed correctly by the manufacture so most should pass on the Airtech  brand unless they choose to do this repair before installing the fuel pump into the car now being aware of the problem with the brand 

The  Airtech fuel pumps are short lived as a rule due to  the manufacturers oversight if the problem is not addressed 

Russ was the first one I remember  to bring this to the attention of the community 

Enjoy 

I'm still chasing vacuum leaks on the 63 A/C system.  Trying to remove the A/C control switch panel so I can check the vacuum switch. The shop manual says after unbolting and disconnecting the switch assembly, to remove it from the dash.  I haven't been able to thread it out of the dash going up or down. Has anyone had success, what am I  missing? Thanks.

I remove them with the entire dash out so that will not help you but looking at the 63 & 64 shop manuals, the 63 say to disconnect the left AC outlet hose (note 15.a pg 15-9), and of course on note 14a. you have a series of disconnects such as Bowden cables, etcs. and assume hall have been disconnected, lower instrument (dash) panel removed etc. The other thing I noticed is the 64 shop manual did say to bring it out from the top ... but the 64's other than the series 75, have a different shaped, upper steering column hanger bracket, so that might be why the difference. Regardless, it will probably just take a good light and some patience and be ready to temporarily disconnect or move things. It is busy back behind there. 

Thanks Jason.  The path looked better going out the top but I couldn't get it past the speedometer and upper cowl. I became frustrated after about an hour of twisting and turning it all around and decided to call it a day. I'll go back at it in a day or so to see if I can get it to cooperate. Maybe someone else has been there and can give us some pointers on getting it removed.

Move the fuse box out of the way. 

Thanks Russ. I suspected that you or Jason had been there before. I'll try that when I get back to it.

I was able to get the A/C control panel out this morning. As Jason suggest from the 64 shop manual it came out the top. I did have to remove the headlight switch to get clearance and even then it was tight. I tried moving the fuse panel as Russ suggested but that didn't work out.

Is there a way to restore the A/C 6 port vacuum switch? Are there sources for new replacements? The one in my 63 seems to have a good amount of seepage to it. The 3 port heat control switch seeps a little, but not as much as the 6 port.

After removing the headlight switch I noticed the Ceramic around the dash light resistor was broken. Can that be repaired with JB weld or something similar? It is in two pieces held together by the resistor wire.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 16 hours ago. 164 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Looking for 64 to 66 seat belt buckles, male and female together.

Started by Ryan Frawley in Wanted to Buy. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 18 hours ago. 5 Replies

Hey all, I am in the process of finishing up my 64 coupe deville and noticed that the front seat belts only have the retractor side in the bag I put all the belts in when I got it. I have found it…Continue

Tags: buckle, safety belt, seatbelt, seatbelts

Movie Star Cars.

Started by Kevin Campbell in General Discussion. Last reply by Kurt yesterday. 17 Replies

We have the Village Roadshow film studios about an 1.5 hour drive away.They've put out a call for cars to appear in a movie about Elvis. :-)So, I nominated our 64 Fleetwood as a potential "Movie Star…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge yesterday. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

driveshaft help

Posted by wayne weaver on October 9, 2019 at 4:41pm 1 Comment

can anyone help me with a driveshaft ? I have a 1963 Cadillac 62 series 4dr with the hydro-matic trans. I need the male splined shaft on the front of the rear driveshaft section. the piece with the nut attached by clip.id be willing to buy a shaft if its not horribly priced.

Dash removal

Posted by Jake Mickley on October 9, 2019 at 12:06am 9 Comments

Hello everyone,

On a 63 CDV, if a guy wanted to remove the entire dash to get all the metal painted, and do some other things behind there, how would he go about doing that?  I checked here and the shop manual, but can't find a complete guide.

As always, and help or direction is appreciated.  Thanks!

--Jake

Introducing myself

Posted by Gary Marchand on October 7, 2019 at 9:32pm 8 Comments

Thanks for letting me join the club.  Picked up this ‘64 Coupe Deville a few months ago out of Beverly MA, the car has few stickers on it from various Cadillac clubs, didn’t know if anyone might recognize it from it’s “Glory days.” Everything seems pretty healthy except for the body and some very Mickey Mouse repairs, was wondering if anyone had any leads on…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service