Hi All

just had the valve stem seals done on the 429 with the passenger side head coming off due to a broken bolt.

That is all done and back together.  Now one problem leads to another.  The engine will not idle

or idle adjust as it should.  If I screw the main large idle adjust screw in on the carter the engine still

runs - if I turn the drives side smaller idle air adjust screw all the way in the engine does not stop.

There is a noticeable flat spot right at bottom of idle on take off and the engine just is not right at least

at idle.

Is this an indication of a vacuum leak?  The problem is still there if the PCV valve is off and blocked,

same with other vacuum lines.   Hope that makes sense and I can get some advice.

John

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great to hear John. If your vacuum advance is original to the car I'd test it with a small cheap vacuum pump. It shouldn't leak down at all. My car ran fine but the vacuum advance was no longer working and was leaking. It ran even better with the fix.

Oh geez, it looks like Tony was correct..... we'll never hear the end of it now. :-) LOL

I do have a surprisingly good track record with trouble shooting problems with our cars having owned mine for 53 years and being on our cars websites since 2006 more often than one time daily
I have a passion for the subject as so many others here and enjoy sharing and helping anyone i think i can to enjoy there car by keeping it rolling down the road
We do have a great team of very knowlegable people who i think can solve any problem these cars may develope and do it on a daily basis
They make this website the great place it is ( even if they delete a post of yours for very bad behavior only once in 11 years ---What The ----- )
You would think someone would have you back after all that time being here and helpful to many
You know like one of the regulars---!!!
I GET NO RESPECT I GET NO RESPECT ( playing with my tie )

Enjoy

Enjoy

Ha Ha Good One!!!!

John

Thank you !

Enjoy

I have never used the sealant — with no issues to note 

enjoy 

Russ

nice job - you nailed that idle problem 

enjoy

Clovis 

good to see you are around makes me all warm and fuzzy to know you are close by  LOL!!

enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Caddy Shack parts & services news

Started by Russ Austin in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 10 hours ago. 66 Replies

I will be having shoulder surgery on April 17th, and will be limited to packing up small parts only for a little while.I am going to try and see how it goes with getting my son to help out, but that…Continue

What's it gonna cost me?

Started by Haris dizdarevic in General Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 13 hours ago. 4 Replies

What's it going to cost me to buy an original rebuilt carburetor from one of you fine gents! Or possibly one that needs to be rebuilt thanks!!Continue

Is He Dead!?

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Posted this to Facebook and thought I would share here...IS HE DEAD!? ... thought this was a funny looking picture captured from my corner Nest Cam. My wife Cheryl had come out to see if I wanted…Continue

Jason

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge yesterday. 29 Replies

No Description

Blog Posts

HVAC Vacuum Valve Clip-need the one for the Power Control side

Posted by Norman Silverman on September 17, 2018 at 8:15pm 6 Comments

Hi.

Update:

I removed both 7 nipple vacuum valves and called my buddy who owns a machine shop. Tomorrow we'll re-surface the valve faces and then I'll reinstall them. HOWEVER, the one that comes out easily and comes apart with no rivet is on the Power module side. It installs on one side with a small bolt, and on the other it is held on by a clip, WHICH IS MISSING ON MY CAR. I am going to assume it is the same clip that is used on the Control Module side. Anybody got one? Happy…

Continue

7 vacuum valve-need a good one or someone to recondition mine

Posted by Norman Silverman on September 15, 2018 at 5:44pm 12 Comments

So, I've put my 7 vacuum valve from the control head side to the test, and it failed. I looked at the instructions for re-conditioning it and unless I am missing something, the instructions are missing something (about how to take off the clip that provides the tension that holds the two pieces together). 

In any case, I can't do this particular repair so I am looking for a new valve (not likely), or a good re-conditioned one, or someone who has done this before and would do mine for…

Continue

Mosiac Cadillac emblem Table

Posted by Dana G Cooper on August 30, 2018 at 10:48pm 11 Comments

Wanted to share a picture of a table my wife made for me to display with our 63 Coupe Deville. 

Inside door handle thread size

Posted by Michael Jarnagin on August 23, 2018 at 4:31pm 1 Comment

Anyone know the thread size on the inside door handle bolts mine are missing any info much appreciated 

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service