Need help finding some trim moldings for my 3rd car, a 1987 Buick Estate Wagon

I know this is a forum for 63/64 Cadillacs, but I have run out of options and hoping that someone would happen to stumble on a missing part for my non-woodie dark-blue 1987 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon (color code GM 8592).

I bought a low mileage, one owner Estate Wagon last fall. The car is in near new condition except that the first owner scratched the right rear door and right rear fender when driving into the garage.

The car is now at the final stages at the body/paint shop and they will start to refit all moldings. However the rear right side door trim molding is missing and I need one. Prefer of course a new, but right now any condition will do.

Have been calling and mailing everything and everybody (including every scrapyard known to man) but so far no luck. All bigger auction site send automatic message if something pops up, but for over three months nothing. So my hope is that someone in here happens to find that parts car, junk yard, yard sale, flea market, craiglist or whatever and remembers me.

I would not mind buying all lower trim moldings including wheel wells for this car if these are in excellent condition. But priority is of course the right rear door trim molding. Its not the same as on other GM Estate Wagons, so a Caprice or Custom Cruiser won't work. Has to be a Buick LeSabre or Electra Estate Wagon. 1986-87 20654826 should be correct (at least that's what my 1989 Buick "B" catalgoue thinks). 1988-89 is different so not sure it would work.

From 1989 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon parts and illustrations catalogue effective September 1988:

Here is a picture of the car today at the body/paint shop. It is in perfect condition with original color, but with modern lacquer. The car was completely sanded down before painting, including roof!

Here is a picture of the trim moldings that was fitted before repair. Note the missing one!

On the left side as reference:

The trim molding is of a stainless type base fastened by three rivets and adhesive tape. The blue "rubber" core thing is slided into the base and covers the rivets.

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just a thought, does anything else in the Buick or even GM range have a similar molding that can modified to suit?

Even a longer molding that can be shortened perhaps.

Looked on many Chevrolet Caprice and they don't have this molding at all. Haven't seen any Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser yet, but other parts like rear light housings are also different.

Found some better pictures of the left side rear door. Is exactly the same trim molding that goes on right side! So need two, but only have one.

Have you posted on the Buick Club "wanted" forums?

Yes and Station Wagon forum and some other general car forums. I don't expect to get lucky this way, just grasping. 

You do know, someone, somewhere, has been hoarding that molding for years and just waiting for your call.

Yes exactly. Only need the phone number. You have it? 

Hi, I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but those strips, especially the ends, look identical to generic side body trim we used to install on all cars back in the 80s. Have you gone that route? I see PartsVoice comes up dry.

Hi Jeff, yes I have been told by some that these are generic and was dealer installed. But when digging deeper all non-woodie Buick Estate Wagons came with these from the factory.

I tried everything. Called every scrapyard in Sweden and a few in the states. Been searching Ebay constantly and been in contact with any and every GM spare parts seller I can find.

Haven't seen this particular version on any other model car. And I look on every American I can find. Also been to a few car-shows just to see if I could be lucky.

Maybe send an email to the Australian Buick Car Clubs, well, the ones in the USA as well of course. Car club guys might be a better option, at least they can put you in contact with owners of the same or similar model.

So far no luck so still hoping someone would stumble on my molding when trekking through the local scrapyard.

Many of these cars were woodies and therefore not having this trim molding. And a lot of the cars were used in wagon derbys.

What's with us car guys? We can't seem to stop at one car, I just bought a new project. A 2009 mini cooper clubman s. This should lower my fuel consumption, two big blocks and a hemi are killing me. My excuse for another car LMAO. Howdy anders.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Clutch fan?

Started by Jeff in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jeff 2 minutes ago. 8 Replies

having a tough time finding a clutch fan that fits.  Got the one from napa that they had listed for a 64 but the hub is to big (2.600), the hub on my original one is 2.400.  I ordered one from rock…Continue

Hey Jason,

Started by Kevin Campbell in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 7 hours ago. 3 Replies

Have you done Dino's lifters yet?Continue

1964 cadillac for $500 needs to go latest tomorrow.

Started by paul k in For Sale. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 9 hours ago. 11 Replies

I m posting this for Trevor .He wants junk this car and I feel sorry for it.I can't buy another "project" car -my wife would be upset.So I decided to post this for him.His phone :631-827-3457 .Car is…Continue

Blog Posts

Original 64 Color sanded and buffed out

Posted by Norman Silverman on November 10, 2018 at 9:05pm 14 Comments

I finally got the car back from the body shop, where they color sanded and polished it out. I am literally blown away by the result! Now, it looks great from 2 feet but if you look REALLY CLOSE you can see that the paint is not as glossy as it should be, but Sothe end result is much better than what I started with. The interior is still original.

Norm

PS…

Continue

Transmission mounts

Posted by steve white on October 31, 2018 at 6:06pm 3 Comments

Hi all im trying to find out about the transmission side rubber mounts on a turbo hydramatic in a 1964 cadillac coupe deville what are they called and where could i get some i am based in australia

Dustless blaster

Posted by Kurt on October 30, 2018 at 12:23am 1 Comment

Here's something cool I stumbled across on Youtube. Pretty cool. It's like a power washer with sand.

https://youtu.be/YQ7CFGIP4uk

Source for Replacement Radiator for my 64 with AC

Posted by Norman Silverman on October 29, 2018 at 2:33pm 5 Comments

I want to replace the radiator in my 64 DeVille. 

Which vendor is a good source for an OEM type unit?

Thanks

Norm

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service