63 cdv    have a nuisance leak that needs to be dealt with,  now i think its coming from around the oil pan, or from front engine cover  that little long black nipple always has a drip or right up near the front of the engine. there seems to be smear of oil on the pan and usually a drip off of the oil pan drain plug.

it extends back the next structure,, the semi circular plate right behind the oil pan,  (what is that btw?)  there seems to always be a little drip or two, hanging from that edge.    

can oil pan be taken off with out removing engine, and gasket replaced,?  if not, i will have to take in,  i dont really have the support tools to get under and feel safe to take of the pan,, nor do i have access to a lift..so thatt would be reason to take in...

same for front engine cover.  if that is leaking, and the oil i see is wind blown drift down the side of the pan, which, as i said earlier, i have seen oil on the bottom of that,  it may be the culprit,, i tried the permatex gasket spread around the bottom like i did on my 73, (73 has held well) and it has worked for a while, but i think its found a new way out and I'm tired of looking at it.. 

so any suggestion would be appreciated as this is something i have never done, so i dont want to get sideways on it and have to tow it in if I ef it up.

sincerely

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does transmission need to be sepated from engine on thiscas weell?

To clean the oil fill cap screen, I use brake parts cleaner in a spray can.   The harmonic balancer is removed with a special puller, and the repair sleeve slips onto it. I use a thread sealer to seal and lock it in place.   It takes the same special tool to install the harmonic balancer. Don't be the fool who hammers it hack on. You will ruin the part.

The 63 has a Hydro matic with a torus converter. The torus converter has a front plate with a large special O ring. That usually leaks first.  Remove the inspection cover and look to see if trans fluid is on the teeth for the starter, or at the back wall of the trans. On the teeth is a leaking tarus converter.  back wall is the front trans seal.   Either seal requires the trans to be pulled.

Real good question about doing the sleeve with the front engine cover on the car 

You might need to be replacing the seal at that time as well so all is fresh 

Sure Russ has the  good tips 

Enjoy 

A basic but —do watch the dip stick more if oil leaks are an issue 

Enjoy 

yes,  i ck that often anyway

Russ

i know you remove the harmonic balancer with a puller —but what tool WB used to replace the balancer back into position without damaging it ( no BFH ) 

Would it be with a center bolt with washers and an air power tool ?

Does  the HB have a key way to install it in the exact place it came off the  crank  (for crank balance reasons )  

I do know you have to be careful not to damage it when going back on 

Do you use the old seal —as the sleeve will be making the front of the crank thicker and tightening up the seal space there

Thanks in advance for the info my friend 

Enjoy 

The same seal is used on the front engine cover for the harmonic balancer. You can get harmonic balancer installers.  I have a kit that is dual purpose.

i did the foot powder test,, little dibble around the fuel pump, so i pulled the rear bolt, and when i loosened it, it took little more than what it takes to loosen the valve cover bolts,,   really not anywhere near 15lbs i wouldnt guess ,, anyway,,  i got it out, per Russ instructions, and put the rtv black on the threads and to the back of the bolt and put it back in,, not a bad process,, that bolt is a little hidden, but other than that, not too bad,, so will see how that holds up.

i did find the leak that is leaving the spots, it turns out to be the transmission pan,  guessing the gasket is worn out on the back passenger side, thats where the drip was,, running hand over the edge, didnt find any red fluid on the other edges or anything fresh above the connection line..  so, will get a gasket and work on that,,   ]

i do know the valve covers are leaking so i will go head and do that as well,,,,,,its minor, but i dont like the look when i see it on the engine..

cleaned out the oil filter cap as well..

anyway, working through it all

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 4 hours ago. 165 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Looking for 64 to 66 seat belt buckles, male and female together.

Started by Ryan Frawley in Wanted to Buy. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 5 Replies

Hey all, I am in the process of finishing up my 64 coupe deville and noticed that the front seat belts only have the retractor side in the bag I put all the belts in when I got it. I have found it…Continue

Tags: buckle, safety belt, seatbelt, seatbelts

Movie Star Cars.

Started by Kevin Campbell in General Discussion. Last reply by Kurt yesterday. 17 Replies

We have the Village Roadshow film studios about an 1.5 hour drive away.They've put out a call for cars to appear in a movie about Elvis. :-)So, I nominated our 64 Fleetwood as a potential "Movie Star…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge yesterday. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

driveshaft help

Posted by wayne weaver on October 9, 2019 at 4:41pm 1 Comment

can anyone help me with a driveshaft ? I have a 1963 Cadillac 62 series 4dr with the hydro-matic trans. I need the male splined shaft on the front of the rear driveshaft section. the piece with the nut attached by clip.id be willing to buy a shaft if its not horribly priced.

Dash removal

Posted by Jake Mickley on October 9, 2019 at 12:06am 9 Comments

Hello everyone,

On a 63 CDV, if a guy wanted to remove the entire dash to get all the metal painted, and do some other things behind there, how would he go about doing that?  I checked here and the shop manual, but can't find a complete guide.

As always, and help or direction is appreciated.  Thanks!

--Jake

Introducing myself

Posted by Gary Marchand on October 7, 2019 at 9:32pm 8 Comments

Thanks for letting me join the club.  Picked up this ‘64 Coupe Deville a few months ago out of Beverly MA, the car has few stickers on it from various Cadillac clubs, didn’t know if anyone might recognize it from it’s “Glory days.” Everything seems pretty healthy except for the body and some very Mickey Mouse repairs, was wondering if anyone had any leads on…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service