I don't know if any of you have attempted changing oil pan gaskets with the engine in the car but I have and it ain't easy. The biggest challenge is keeping the cork strips that seal the timing cover and the main cap to the pan in place while you install the pan. It's pretty finicky. I'm in the middle of changing my clutch so decided I would take another swing at the pan gasket because it was still leaking and my car would leave it's mark after parking for only a few hours.

I had an old oil pan lying around so I cut in thirds so I would have a small sections of front and rear pan. That way I could work easily work with one seal at a time and get them accurately in place. I put some RTV on the timing cover side of the cork strip and put it up into place then installed the pan section not too tightly to hold the seal in place until the RTV sets. I then did the same with the rear cork strip. Tomorrow I will pull the pieces out and then install the rail gaskets and put the three sections of pan back in until the RTV sets. I'll probably install the real pan on Monday. 

I'll let you know how this approach works out. 

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan 

I  really do enjoy  the special way you think thru a subject and then solve the problem in you own special way ( cutting up a lot of stuff in the process - LOL ! ) 

As always thanks for pointing out the trouble spots you encounter doing a given project  so all can benefit from the project at hand when it is time for them to do the same task 
This is very much what this site is about as far as helping others - Get Her Done ! - once and done right 

I do enjoy the discussion that have taken place since you joined the site with your  —-Very Great Hot Rod Classic Antique Cadillac ( now that’s a mouth full ! ) 

Love the way your headers look in the above photo 

Enjoy and Stay Safe 

Thanks Tony. I went ahead and put the pan on this afternoon after first putting the rail gaskets on with the old three part pan monte. After letting the gaskets conform to shape with the pan pieces in place for several hours I took them off and the gaskets were all nicely lined up and in place. I put RTV across the timing cover and main cap gaskets and on the rails of the pan. It was nice to be able to maneuver the pan in to place without worrying about gasket alignment. The proof will come when I get the rest of it back together and out on the road again, hopefully by Wednesday.

having attempted to change my rear seal a while back,, no less that four times,, i know what you mean,, its not easy to get those little pins in the front line up so they dont smear the gasket off at the same time of trying to hold it up and get a bolt in to get one started.   its not as bad if you can get it on a big rack, but lying on your back, doing all that lining up, its no thrill for sure

When I get a new car (new 2 me) I remove the pan and change the gasket. Mainly because whats in the pan will tell a lot about the engine.

So three years ago I removed the pan on my -64. Cleaned and inspected. After that on with a new gasket, but I put the gasket on the pan and then in with all bolts. As the holes in the gasket was just a tad bit smaller than the diameter of the bolts the gasket would hold all bolts and itself in correct position. Was very easy to do this job and haven't had any leak since. Never even considered it would be an issue until now.

I also checked the straightness of the pan. My guess is that its never been removed so there was no intend or over tightening.

Anders, I just looked on Rockauto's web site at an image of a 64 gasket and see that it is quite different than my 62. I had assumed they were the same. My bad. The 64 gasket has molded seals for both ends of the pan whereas the 62 has cork strips that you trim to fit. The cork strips don't want to conform to shape because they are fairly stiff and as a result, don't want to stay in place while you trying to get the pan in place. 

My apologies for not looking this up before posting.

Correct. The seals on the ends of the oil pan for the 63/64 engines also have nipples that pull though holes in the cover to hold them into place.

Oh man, I love it when you talk dirty. LOL

I was wondering which one of the usual suspects was going to pipe up at the mention of nipple-pulling. Kev, you never disappoint!

Of course now I have to post the obligatory nipple shields. LOL : )

My pleasure Kurt.... and I do mean..... pleasure.

Dan,  I'm just relieved that my confusion is over. All along something was telling me that this doesn't sound like my oil pan. Great solution all the same.

The nipple thing Will Never  Ever Go Away — and we do have to live with it -  Just part of who we are here —like it or not ! 
I like it - but they sure are sharp and pointy looking — OUCH ! 

Not our fault it’s a 1964  Cadillac — necessary —ESSENTIAL   ( get it ) —  Cadillac part - LOL ! ( not really ) 

They are supposed to help radio reception located in the front wheel hubs but I have no idea if that is at all true 

My radio plays the same with them or without them 

They just do nothing mostly 

My own opinion is they do nothing worth while as  I see it - except as a  Dominatrices  SEX toy !!

Just my daily words of wisdom for my fans —as Kevin and I —-are expected to react appropriately  to this kind of subject matter - it’s a given 

Enjoy and Stay Safe —-you   PERVERTS  !

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Had to Bring in Some More Help!

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 9 hours ago. 3 Replies

As most of you know I just brought in almost 400 lb of Cadmium plated bolts, etc. Cheryl, my boss and Cadillac Parts Apprentice indicated she needed some help when looking at the 1st batch of about…Continue

Headlight Switch

Started by Joseph Rabbene in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 9 hours ago. 4 Replies

For less than thirty dollars, I ordered a universal '53-'64 headlight switch from vintagecadillac.com   The switch is currently out of stock, but I'd really like to sew up the dashboard on my '63 and…Continue

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 11 hours ago. 193 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Needing advice on brake system upgrade

Started by Joe in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 14 hours ago. 1 Reply

Has anyone bought from Jamco? If so what did you think of there parts as far as there brake booster and M/C set up combo's.The reason for asking, I own a 62, I know this is a 63/64 site but the…Continue

Blog Posts

Help on Removal of rear seatback on 64 convertible

Posted by Nile Bolen on January 8, 2021 at 11:44am 7 Comments

I'm trying to remove the rear seatback on my 1964 deville conv.  The only help on this site that I can find is the following:

The seatback, its bright stainless trim, and the speaker grille are removed as an assembly.  The seat back hangs on two hooks near the top, and is retained to the body by two bolts and washers near the floor, one on the right side, one on the left.Once these fasteners are removed, lift the seat back upward and free it from the hooks

I've removed…

Continue

Bumper lower bucket

Posted by Ray Schick on January 1, 2021 at 4:33pm 3 Comments

1964 Convertible Seats.

Posted by michael moorman on November 30, 2020 at 5:29pm 1 Comment

Are the front and rear seat frames the same for 63/64 Coupes and Convertibles because Original parts group  makes reproduction seat covers for 1963 only and and i prefer the 1963 seat pattern so with that being said does anyone have information regarding this thanks.

Picture of ignition switch

Posted by Cees de Bunje on November 27, 2020 at 6:20am 0 Comments

Does anyone have a close-up picture of the ignitionswitch with keys in it made in landscape format? Switch must be in dashboard. Many thanks in advance. Cees.

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service