Hello everyone! It's time for a new battery for the old girl and I was wondering if anyone has tried an optima brand battery. Their website does not list a battery that would be compatible. Just wondering if anyone here has tried one regardless.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had an Optima in my 63 for about 10 years. I have no complaint about that battery. They are twice the price of typical batteries. At the time when I bought it, it was about $125. These days they are about $250(or more). I have heard from some people that they are not as good anymore. Based on that & the price, I went with a standard battery (Duracell) that I dressed up like a retro battery.

Love the job on the battery.

I just put some flat black vinyl over mine to hid it a bit. Often, a battery can ruin a nice engine bay. 

Thanks. The red Optima stuck out like a sore thumb. I saw somewhere that there are retro kits for Optimas. In the case of this Duracell I just removed all the labels, 3d printed the battery caps & 2d printed the Delco label. It turned out nice.

Thanks for the response kurt! Just out of curiosity did you have the yellow or red top?

Red

Thanks again!

Best i have done with the 64 was 5 years on a Sears Die Hard
On a limited use car in the Florida heat always thought that was not bad
Average battery life is about 3 years in Fl and they enclose the batteries here in a bit of a rapper to protect it from heat
10 years is twice as good as i have done so that speaks for itself regarding the brands quality
Does seem foolish to be paying more than --twice as much ( now ) for the battery even if it does work for twice as long
Buying two over a few years spreads the battery expense over time a bit - and new is new at the 5 year interval
Just another option

Enjoy

Enjoy

The battery in the Fleetwood is an Oct, 2013 unit. Still works a treat too. At 950 CCA, it bloody should be good too.

Its the one that was in the car when we bought it over. With a new starter, new heavy duty leads and new ends, that big ol 429 does sure spin over nice.  

• For what it’s worth I’ve had good results with the Duralast battery sold by Autozone. 5 years- and now on the third one  

It’s larger than stock size and wedged beyween the grill and bulkhead, but holds a charge through the cold season with a terminal disconnect switch. 

Now that the wiring is refurbished I plan to keep it on a trickle float charger. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Where to get brake booster and master cylinder rebuilt

Started by Chris Gill in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 52 minutes ago. 23 Replies

Hi folks,I'm new to Cadillacs so bear with me if this question has already been answered but I did a search of the forum and couldn't find an answer.It appears I have an original master cylinder…Continue

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 53 minutes ago. 149 Replies

I have posted a…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Bypassing the suction throttle valve

Started by Russ Austin in General Discussion 2 hours ago. 0 Replies

Cant find the post where the suction throttle valve was bypassed with an adjustable part.   What was it?Continue

1962 CADILLAC COUPE 62 SERIES SHARP CAR

Started by DanielAndrew in For Sale. Last reply by Dave Schneider 11 hours ago. 7 Replies

1962 CADILLAC COUPE 62 SERIES SHARP CAR On Ebay…Continue

Blog Posts

64 Recirc/Fresh Air Door Actuator replaced; FROM THE INSIDE.

Posted by Norman Silverman on February 4, 2019 at 11:21pm 8 Comments

I am happy to report that I have successfully replaced the Fresh Air/Recirc door actuator that is located on the blower box-and have done so without having to remove the blower box. I did it by taking out the glove box and attacking it from the back.  It took several days, LOTS of patience and some band-aids, but it is done. THE most difficult part -BY FAR- is to remove and then replace the screw that sits on the actuator arm, connecting it to the fresh…

Continue

Flashers

Posted by Mike Petrey on January 13, 2019 at 12:25pm 7 Comments

Where do the flashers go in my 64 Deville Convert.  I'm thinking that's why both turn signals stopped working.

Source for Motor mounts and Trans mounts 1964 SDV

Posted by Norman Silverman on January 9, 2019 at 4:23pm 4 Comments

Hi.

Where is the best place to purchase good quality motor mounts/trans mounts for my 1964 SDV? I see that Rock Auto has them for $8 and change, and others for $24 and change. Big difference. Is there a better place to buy them from?

Thanks

Norm

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service