Hello everyone! It's time for a new battery for the old girl and I was wondering if anyone has tried an optima brand battery. Their website does not list a battery that would be compatible. Just wondering if anyone here has tried one regardless.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had an Optima in my 63 for about 10 years. I have no complaint about that battery. They are twice the price of typical batteries. At the time when I bought it, it was about $125. These days they are about $250(or more). I have heard from some people that they are not as good anymore. Based on that & the price, I went with a standard battery (Duracell) that I dressed up like a retro battery.

Love the job on the battery.

I just put some flat black vinyl over mine to hid it a bit. Often, a battery can ruin a nice engine bay. 

Thanks. The red Optima stuck out like a sore thumb. I saw somewhere that there are retro kits for Optimas. In the case of this Duracell I just removed all the labels, 3d printed the battery caps & 2d printed the Delco label. It turned out nice.

Thanks for the response kurt! Just out of curiosity did you have the yellow or red top?

Red

Thanks again!

Best i have done with the 64 was 5 years on a Sears Die Hard
On a limited use car in the Florida heat always thought that was not bad
Average battery life is about 3 years in Fl and they enclose the batteries here in a bit of a rapper to protect it from heat
10 years is twice as good as i have done so that speaks for itself regarding the brands quality
Does seem foolish to be paying more than --twice as much ( now ) for the battery even if it does work for twice as long
Buying two over a few years spreads the battery expense over time a bit - and new is new at the 5 year interval
Just another option

Enjoy

Enjoy

The battery in the Fleetwood is an Oct, 2013 unit. Still works a treat too. At 950 CCA, it bloody should be good too.

Its the one that was in the car when we bought it over. With a new starter, new heavy duty leads and new ends, that big ol 429 does sure spin over nice.  

• For what it’s worth I’ve had good results with the Duralast battery sold by Autozone. 5 years- and now on the third one  

It’s larger than stock size and wedged beyween the grill and bulkhead, but holds a charge through the cold season with a terminal disconnect switch. 

Now that the wiring is refurbished I plan to keep it on a trickle float charger. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

TURBO HYDRAMATIC

Started by STEPHEN HORWATH in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 51 minutes ago. 14 Replies

I JUST ACQUIRED A 64 DEVILLE TURBO HYDRAMATIC TRANSMISSION FROM A PARTS CAR.COMES WITH SPACER,FLYWHEEL AND TORQUE CONVERTER AND SHIELD. I DONT KNOW WHAT A FAIRPRICE WOULD BE TO ASK. ANY SUGGESTIONS?Continue

Re upholstering seats

Started by paul in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Mark S Anderson 1 hour ago. 2 Replies

Hello all, my question pertains to interior of a recent barn find.  A 1963 cadillac sedan with 16000 original miles.  Unfortunately it had mice in the car, so of course the whole interior which is…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 8 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Free front brake drums and shoes for '64 DeVille

Started by Preston Bealle in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Preston Bealle 8 hours ago. 7 Replies

I converted my '64 to front disc brakes. I have the drums and shoes and parts that the car came with. Anyone can have them if you want them, just pay shipping, which won't be cheap since they are…Continue

Blog Posts

Is there a separate Starter Relay, or does the Solenoid serve that purpose?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 30, 2019 at 5:57pm 7 Comments

Hello All.

I will be replacing the starter solenoid tomorrow (actually my mechanic will do the work, I'll just supervise). In checking the FSM electrical schematic and chapter verbiage, I don't see anything that looks like (or is referred to as) a starter Relay. It seems the Starter Solenoid serves the function and there's no separate relay. Right or Wrong?

If wrong, where…

Continue

Starter Solenoid replacement-how difficult? Where to buy?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 20, 2019 at 8:24pm 8 Comments

Hello All.

I believe the starter solenoid has gone bad in my 64 DeVille. When I turn the key, often all I get is a click, then if I try a few times again the starter turns perfectly. All battery cables are on tight and the battery is good. So, I believe this problem is the solenoid. Where do I buy the right solenoid and is it necessary to remove the starter in order to swap it out? …

Continue

Frame Markings

Posted by Gene McIlroy on August 12, 2019 at 6:26pm 1 Comment

Just got my frame back from powder coating so thought I would post photos of the front and rear frame markings.…

Continue

Lining up the drive shaft

Posted by Dominic Salemi on August 12, 2019 at 5:47pm 2 Comments

Can anyone shed some light on how to position the complete drive shaft in the correct position? I want to make sure my drive shaft is installed properly.

Thanks

Dominic

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service