Hi guys. 

I got my pistons in and mounted the heads on my 390 engine. I was checking compression. Seems like i have some blow by. But i can feel compression on each cylinder. Maybe i got my piston rings set op wrong? I got them set up like this:

Gaps are at least an inch and a half away from each other except on the 3 piece oil ring because the expander is in the middle. Before i installed the pistons i put in compression rings into every cylinder. Gap was within tolerances. 

Let me know what you think. 

Thanks. 

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gap placement should be fine. From memory there is a top and bottom side of the compression rings.

Hi Jason. 

I forgot to say that the engine isnt build in the car yet. It is currently on its engine stand, breakin in will happen next year if it fires up after i drop in the caddy. After posting the message it occured to me that these engines have hydraulic lifters. There is no oil in them yet so could it be that the valve timing is off because of empty lifters and that the blow by i feel underneath the engine is caused because of that?

Piston rings are mounted as described in the manual that came with them. (top, bottom and oil ring) 

I will check out the break in procedures when its time to install the engine. 

Thanks. 

You are not going to get any accurate compression testing until you fire it up, break-in the engine, and let the rings wear in.  In addition, it is my guess you could cause some damage by just cranking the engine over to get a pre break-in compression reading.  With new rings you will want to run at 1500 rpm for 30 minutes. As noted on the help page this allows the rings to seat against the cylinder walls.

The bigger concern & quesiton is did you follow the proper break-in procedure?  If you need a reference, check out this Help Page entry: Engine Break In Procedures (per Association of Engine Rebuilders)

Remember that compression is checked on a warm engine.

Hi. 

This is my first time building a engine like this. I was a little bit stressing out because it didnt really react like i am used to with 4 or 3 cylinder engines without hydraulic lifters. I will have to wait untill march or maybe april to build in the engine in the caddy due to weather conditions. I will let you know what happens:-) 

Thank you for the info guys! 

Just a heads up --on installing the rocker arms on the 390 and 429 engines
Some of the best engine builders ( ?) have put them on backwards preventing correct oil flow on a new rebuilt engine
A really bad thing to happen to a new rebuilt engine

You will need to use a tool down the dist shaft to pump the first oil thru the engine before the first start up

There is a Search engine on the top right of the home page or the Help Section that should contain the details on that

The rings on these engine are a very very hard metal that will take more time to seat for that reason
Oil consumtion will be higher for a while due to that
You will need to seat the rings with a few thousand miles before you will get a good compression reading
Conventional oil used first will help that happen over a full syn oil that will take longer to seat the metal parts
You need to fire up the engine and get it to run up to 1000 RPMs ASAP to have the parts seat correctly
Then hold it over 1000 RPMs for a period of time
All engine bolts should be retorqued after the first few run ups bringing the engine to operating temp each time

Having a new fresh engine has to be a highlight of any restoration project

Enjoy or your doing it wrong

My own opinion is it takes 10,000 miles to break in a new engine on all cars
Working out the --Bugs that all new builds will have ( oil leaks - carb jetting etc ) will be the next step in the project after the engine is running

Enjoy

As Jason suggests 1500 Rpms for 30 min will do the trick on the first run up

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

On the Mend, Baby!

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion. Last reply by Kevin Campbell 19 minutes ago. 4 Replies

Since we are like family here, thought I would share the following that I…Continue

1964 seat belt length

Started by John Boening in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Mark S Anderson 12 hours ago. 4 Replies

It's my first time posting a question.  I want to add seat belts front and rear to my 64 convertible. Seems like all suppliers have them in 60 or 74 inch lengths. Most passengers are of average…Continue

63 owner protection plan books by state

Started by Russ Austin in For Sale. Last reply by Kevin Campbell 14 hours ago. 8 Replies

I have a few of the 63 Cadillac owner protection plan books for sale. They have the dealership stamped in the back of the book.1. 63 Z (commercial chassis) sold to the city of Dinuba CA   40.002. 63J…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 21 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

63/64 Cadillacs for sale

Posted by Frank Herrera on December 10, 2018 at 7:41pm 3 Comments

Hi fellas!!

Well I recently found a guy here locally, who’s got about 8-9 63/64 Cadillacs convertible and hardtop coupes. I also recently found a 64 convertible Eldorado. I really want to purchase it here shortly. If anyone wants to buy it off me or the guy selling it, let me know ASAP. It’s really a great price. If anyone is looking for anything let me know. If you have Instagram my handle is @caddikingheartbreaker. You can also message me on here. I’ll check back from time to time. Or… Continue

Although the radiator was not leaking, nor was the car running hot, I tool out the radiator today to have it boiled out and rodded out. Then I changed the oil and filter (filter is very easy to reach…

Posted by Norman Silverman on December 8, 2018 at 9:29pm 15 Comments

Although the radiator was not leaking, nor was the car running hot, I tool out the radiator today to have it boiled out and rodded out. Then I changed the oil and filter (filter is very easy to reach with the radiator out), then the thermostat got changed. 

I'll have the radiator back from the shop on Monday, and will reinstall it then. 

Still having…

Continue

'63 Bumpers on L.A. Craigslist

Posted by Ian Osborne on December 8, 2018 at 1:30am 0 Comments

The front lower ends are gone but what's there looks to be in decent condition and a fair price in today's market. I have no connection, just passing it along in case it might work for someone.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/pts/d/1963-cadillac-bumpers-1963/6764419645.html

Retro Sound Radio

Posted by Ray Schick on December 5, 2018 at 5:34am 0 Comments

Retro Sound Radio

am-fm  30 pre-sets  built in amp 18 watts, 40 watts peak x 4 channels 

user control bass,treble,fader & balance. Push button styling.

aux input for IPod. Power antenna and amp turn on…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service