Hi guys.

I noticed some of my pistons are not completely centered with the connecting rod. I want to try and press the pins a bit further but i dont want to damage the pistons. Has any of you guys have experience pressing these pins? 

The manual shows pictures of a arbor press and some special tools needed to press the pin in or out. I do have a 20 tons press at work. Trying to figure out how to support the piston so that it wont break or gets damaged. Or should i just spend some money and let a professional do it?

I would like to hear your thoughts. 

Thanks. 

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes the building of these rigged tools is more fun than the work you need to do with them. I love it when a problem is solved with off the shelf garage stuff. Great work and keep the pictures coming. 

Just looked through my manual and noticed this picture.

I have never taken a 390/429 apart. Have been taking other engines apart though and in all of them a cradle was the way to go.

Hope I didn't mislead with my first reply and it does look like the problem is sorted. And as always check the "bible" before doing anything:

Hi Anders. 

No you did not mislead me. I was lookin at the same picture in my "bible" but could not find any original tools on e-bay or other fenders. The tools you see on this picture are made by Kent Moore. The company still excists but it seems that they do not make this specific tool anymore. I went and made my own version gheheh:-).

As in your other special tools post. It would be nice to have those vintage tools just layin around in your workplace. Probably wont use them every day, but hey... Some things are just nice to have. 

Thanks. 

When I rebuilt my engine in 2012, I took my new pistons and the original connecting rods down to the local machine shop and had them press off the old pistons and press on the new pistons. That machine shop has been pressing pistons on and off for 30+ years and was just one of those things I didn't want to sweat, not to mention I do not have a press or the special fittings they had laying around to press the pins in and out.  To those guys it was as old hat as turning a drum, or tapping out a broken bolt.  I guess my point is if you have an old school machine shop around use it as you would any other tool.  Often an overseas customer will need just the connecting rod and I will run a piston over to the shop and they will press the one off for free.  It is good to have contacts like that! 

Hi. 

I am always trying to find the right poeple for certain jobs. But the classic car busines here in the Netherlands or at least in my living area is not that big. I found a small place near Amsterdam with a guy named Hans he smells like hone oil, looks like a professor and is a bit strange but he does a perfect job. The guy doesnt advertise or has a website. Either you know him or you dont gheheh:-). As i continue fixing my car i noticed that knowing the right people really makes things easier. The most help i get is trough this website. Really apreciate it.

Thanks. 

Thanks. 

Searched for J-8390 just for fun and found this:

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Comfort Control and voltage from the voltage regulator or alternator

Started by Christian Doerk in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 3 hours ago. 0 Replies

I probably currently have a similar problem like Sam G in this post:…Continue

Tags: alternator, transducer, regulator, voltage, Control

courtesy light wiring

Started by Andy Kalnins in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Mark S Anderson yesterday. 16 Replies

My right rear door courtesy light has two wires- a solid red and a black w/ white stripe. What puzzles me is that both wires have voltage across them when the key is turned to the left or right. To…Continue

Tags: wiring, light, courtesy

CLC 2019 Grand National - Louisville, Kentucky, June 11-15, 2019

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 27 Replies

1963/64 Cadillac Chapter 2019 Grand National Page www.2019GN.6364Cadillac.com…Continue

Tags: National, Grand, CLC, 2019

1979 Cadillac DeVille Phaeton Diesel

Started by DanielAndrew in For Sale yesterday. 0 Replies

1979 Cadillac DeVille Phaeton Diesel On Ebayhttps://ebay.to/2WJhc3a…Continue

Blog Posts

Cadillac Returns to its Roots Under New Leadership

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on May 1, 2019 at 12:30am 3 Comments

Cadillac’s new boss says they should stop trying to build BMWs and go back to building Cadillacs again.

What do you think? 

https://carbuzz.com/news/cadillac-finally-admits-what-everyone-knew-for-years

Radiator And Shrouds

Posted by Dominic Salemi on April 24, 2019 at 3:36pm 1 Comment

Hello

Anyone have a decent radiator and shrouds and hardware for a 1964 Cadillac deville. I have an alum. radiator and I'm deciding on to fix it or back to the original one. If I fix it I won't need parts.

Thanks

64 Recirc/Fresh Air Door Actuator replaced; FROM THE INSIDE.

Posted by Norman Silverman on February 4, 2019 at 11:21pm 8 Comments

I am happy to report that I have successfully replaced the Fresh Air/Recirc door actuator that is located on the blower box-and have done so without having to remove the blower box. I did it by taking out the glove box and attacking it from the back.  It took several days, LOTS of patience and some band-aids, but it is done. THE most difficult part -BY FAR- is to remove and then replace the screw that sits on the actuator arm, connecting it to the fresh…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service