On Friday I did install power antenna.When I try to raise the mast by pulling knob on the radio -mast didn't go up.I heard strong antenna motor clicking.I try to pull with plyers top of the mast and I realized that mast is going down while pulling  radio knob.Looks like antenna works when going down but not going up.What is the problem?What I did wrong.I did replace cable connecting radio with antenna.I did connect blue wire with blue and green with green wire.Before restoration antenna was working fine.Maybe the knob on the radio that control antenna have something to do it? I did lubricate mast with WD-40.

Thank you,

Paul

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what happens when you push the radio knob rather than pulling it?

It is only react when I pull up.

put a test light on the green wire while somebody pushes the knob, if it gets power, replace the antenna motor. if it doesn't then it is likely the switch inside the radio.   could also be a broken green/white wire or bad connection at the firewall.

Pushing the  radio nob in should raise the antenna when it is working correctly 

I do think your new antenna motor is your issue 

Motor needs to be working in both directions 

Do be very sure your ground connection is cleaned and shinny metal but the motor is working —only not  in both directions 

The clicking sound is normal when the antenna is all the way down 

Enjoy 

The antenna is original from the car -not new.Maybe the radio knob I installed differently-because when I pull out the knob I have feeling like the antenna want to go down (it is already down).

"It is only react when I pull up."   What does that mean?  Are you pushing the radio knob in?  The knob is designed to push in and pull out to raise and lower the antenna.  Check the wire connector for a pin that has pushed out. The plastic connectors get weak and brittle from being exposed to the elements. It has happened to me before, that a pin pushed out of the connector when they were mated together.

Push nob —is up 

Pull nob —is down 

Enjoy 

- Did you bench test antenna before installing? 12 volts to green pushes out, 12 volts to blue pulls in. If not, you can disconnect antenna connector at bottom right of firewall cowl and test via a 12 volt source to green then blue wire with antenna in car.

- Are you firmly pushing radio knob in? It takes some effort. Might take some tuner lube cleaner like the CRC sprays and push and pull the knob back and forth. If it is not pushing in and a spring action felt to push it back out something might be broken on the radio knob switch.

- Is knob correctly installed on shaft at the normal detente position with the Allen set screw?

- Is the connector at bottom right of cowl/firewall making good contact. Did you clean the metal inside the connectors to makes sure they make solid contact. It sounds like you spliced some wires... did you make sure everything was making good contact? 

- And as noted previously, you can disconnect the antenna connector and test for 12 volts on the car side connector for 12 volts at green when pushing knob in, and 12 volts at blue when pulling knob out. 

If you are pulling on the nob and the antenna is already down it is working correctly. ( on that side )  and will make a clicking sound when bottomed out 

you need to get the motor to rise —when you push in the nob 

Marks suggestions should help find the electrical issue and get the motor working correctly 

Clean the mounting locations  as they are the electrical grounds so clean them to shiny metal as that will make for good electrical flow to the antenna  motor 

Enjoy 

Ok,problem solved.

When I installed the knobs on the radio I push the top knob too far and didn't let me use the function to push antenna up.

Thank you for all suggestions.

Yep, just got to let the knob set at that "detente" position when setting the Allen screw.  Glad you figured it out!

Jason 

Really nice job realizing the nob  location issue was the problem 

Where else could you ever get this kind of  spot on repair info for such a specific  unique repair 

This place  and the individuals ( you know who you are )  here are just the best for this type info ( repair ) for our year cars that is so very specific to just our year Cadillacs 

Liked watching this difficult problem getting worked threw myself 

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

1963 Cadillac Convertible Door Jamb Switch

Started by Lee Martin in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Lee Martin 10 hours ago. 3 Replies

Okay, it's "dumb question time!"  Here's mine:  Does anyone know the part number for the 63 convertible door jamb switch (3 prong)?  I cannot find this in the manual...thanks!Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge yesterday. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Rear main Follow up replacement and repair,,

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kim K Kaiser on Thursday. 38 Replies

Well, got it all together,, Jason, i was looking in the wrong chapter in the manual on the starter,, got that figured out.  everything hooked back upGot it put back together, started up, and oil…Continue

STEERING GEAR

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge on Wednesday. 10 Replies

IN addition to the main seal leak,,which i am going to tackle again tomorrow,i also have a leak in what seems to be the steering gear.  I have checked to connections from the pump, and its dry on…Continue

Blog Posts

driveshaft help

Posted by wayne weaver on October 9, 2019 at 4:41pm 1 Comment

can anyone help me with a driveshaft ? I have a 1963 Cadillac 62 series 4dr with the hydro-matic trans. I need the male splined shaft on the front of the rear driveshaft section. the piece with the nut attached by clip.id be willing to buy a shaft if its not horribly priced.

Dash removal

Posted by Jake Mickley on October 9, 2019 at 12:06am 9 Comments

Hello everyone,

On a 63 CDV, if a guy wanted to remove the entire dash to get all the metal painted, and do some other things behind there, how would he go about doing that?  I checked here and the shop manual, but can't find a complete guide.

As always, and help or direction is appreciated.  Thanks!

--Jake

Introducing myself

Posted by Gary Marchand on October 7, 2019 at 9:32pm 8 Comments

Thanks for letting me join the club.  Picked up this ‘64 Coupe Deville a few months ago out of Beverly MA, the car has few stickers on it from various Cadillac clubs, didn’t know if anyone might recognize it from it’s “Glory days.” Everything seems pretty healthy except for the body and some very Mickey Mouse repairs, was wondering if anyone had any leads on…

Continue

Carter AFB carburetor question

Posted by Ray Schick on October 7, 2019 at 8:29pm 8 Comments

3655S carb, and a 3656S carb .I know the difference is one is for A/C and the other in for a non A/C car . Now the question is : can I use the carb bowl from the A/C car on the non A/C car ? They look the same set up next to each other

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service