Per Tony,  i am starting a new thread on my adventures with this rear main leak,

i posted a video on a 390 engine of a rear main seal replacement but the engine was out of the car,, gave some insight as to sealing and materials etc.

One of my neighbors has a hoist,(yeah!) and has allowed me to use it,, makes it a lot easier than rolling around on the asphalt in the street and is enough higher that its not too confining under there.  I did have to pay attention to the lift points though as it seems you cant just put those lift arms wherever you want..

As of this evening, I have taken the exhaust loose, the steering loose, and the starter is out,, took about 4 hours to do that.  I guess there is nothing earthshaking to report on any of this.  Tomorrow, I will take the pan off and proceed from there.

To be clear before proceeding.

the 63 manual says to insert the bearings in there slots, do not pull off wax coating as that will aid in insertion.  I do not see any wax on my gasket, so my guess they had it on the old ones.,, 

Now, the question here is,, do i add a touch of oil or something to aid in that insertion process,, the manual does not suggest it, as i describe above, or, just insert dry, as is..

it does say apply rubber cement to cap and block mating surfaces, and gasket ends, but that is the only reference in the 63 manual regarding lubricaitng the seal for installation,,  so is that correct?? insert dry??

the you tube video says to use lubridation after insertion so it wont be dry on start up, so i plan to do that as well.

i will try to take a few photographs of things once i get the pan off,  i m sure most have seen the underside, but its my first venture in there and post them for reference.

Views: 848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Only very extremely Looooooong  Treads —to be learning from —LOL 

Enjoy 

Which way does exhaust gasket face .? Metal side up or down.  Minewas so degraded, i couldnt tell

Never mind,  i got it figured

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Time for transmission repair, any suggestions?

Started by Tosh Dickenson in General Discussion 20 minutes ago. 0 Replies

My '64 CDV is starting to have torque converter issues.  I'm going to pull the trans and send it to a shop I trust.  Even thought I don't have any trans issues (except for a leak at the modulator)…Continue

Removing. Valve springs

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 3 hours ago. 6 Replies

I was trying to remove valve springs in 63 head.  I got the jaw type tool that you hook on the bottom and top of spring andvscrew downward,  I put a socket under the bottom of the valve to keep it…Continue

1963 Carter AFB Rebuilds?

Started by Lee Martin in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can recommend a good source for rebuilt Carter AFB carb for 1963?  I see there are many sources out there but it's a chunk of change and I'd feel better working with a…Continue

2021 Parts Liquidation

Started by Ian Osborne in For Sale. Last reply by Ian Osborne 11 hours ago. 4 Replies

My car is gone so I have no need for the extra parts I have lying around. I will charge only actual shipping to be determined by buyer's address.More photos of anything available by request. prices…Continue

Blog Posts

Help on Removal of rear seatback on 64 convertible

Posted by Nile Bolen on January 8, 2021 at 11:44am 7 Comments

I'm trying to remove the rear seatback on my 1964 deville conv.  The only help on this site that I can find is the following:

The seatback, its bright stainless trim, and the speaker grille are removed as an assembly.  The seat back hangs on two hooks near the top, and is retained to the body by two bolts and washers near the floor, one on the right side, one on the left.Once these fasteners are removed, lift the seat back upward and free it from the hooks

I've removed…

Continue

Bumper lower bucket

Posted by Ray Schick on January 1, 2021 at 4:33pm 3 Comments

1964 Convertible Seats.

Posted by michael moorman on November 30, 2020 at 5:29pm 1 Comment

Are the front and rear seat frames the same for 63/64 Coupes and Convertibles because Original parts group  makes reproduction seat covers for 1963 only and and i prefer the 1963 seat pattern so with that being said does anyone have information regarding this thanks.

Picture of ignition switch

Posted by Cees de Bunje on November 27, 2020 at 6:20am 0 Comments

Does anyone have a close-up picture of the ignitionswitch with keys in it made in landscape format? Switch must be in dashboard. Many thanks in advance. Cees.

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service