Per Tony,  i am starting a new thread on my adventures with this rear main leak,

i posted a video on a 390 engine of a rear main seal replacement but the engine was out of the car,, gave some insight as to sealing and materials etc.

One of my neighbors has a hoist,(yeah!) and has allowed me to use it,, makes it a lot easier than rolling around on the asphalt in the street and is enough higher that its not too confining under there.  I did have to pay attention to the lift points though as it seems you cant just put those lift arms wherever you want..

As of this evening, I have taken the exhaust loose, the steering loose, and the starter is out,, took about 4 hours to do that.  I guess there is nothing earthshaking to report on any of this.  Tomorrow, I will take the pan off and proceed from there.

To be clear before proceeding.

the 63 manual says to insert the bearings in there slots, do not pull off wax coating as that will aid in insertion.  I do not see any wax on my gasket, so my guess they had it on the old ones.,, 

Now, the question here is,, do i add a touch of oil or something to aid in that insertion process,, the manual does not suggest it, as i describe above, or, just insert dry, as is..

it does say apply rubber cement to cap and block mating surfaces, and gasket ends, but that is the only reference in the 63 manual regarding lubricaitng the seal for installation,,  so is that correct?? insert dry??

the you tube video says to use lubridation after insertion so it wont be dry on start up, so i plan to do that as well.

i will try to take a few photographs of things once i get the pan off,  i m sure most have seen the underside, but its my first venture in there and post them for reference.

Views: 799

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Only very extremely Looooooong  Treads —to be learning from —LOL 

Enjoy 

Which way does exhaust gasket face .? Metal side up or down.  Minewas so degraded, i couldnt tell

Never mind,  i got it figured

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Locating radial tires for a stock 64 convert rim

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 9 hours ago. 2 Replies

Did some looking around to see where i could find some new 265 75r 15  radial tires for the 64 convert The current radial I have on the car I was  very surprised to see the size has become a problem…Continue

Tags: stock, rim, 64, a, tires

vacuum canister

Started by Walt Timmerman in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 10 hours ago. 2 Replies

what is the vacuum canister for that is behind the drivers front fender?After removing my fender I see its got a hole in the top but nothing is hooked to it and no line is laying there.Any help would…Continue

Where is the a/c evaporator box drain

Started by Tosh Dickenson in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 12 hours ago. 1 Reply

I can't spot the traditional evaporator box drain tube on my '64 Deville.  I don't like how the water runs down the body line.  Is there an integrated drain tube?  If not, has anybody added…Continue

front end pieces.

Started by Walt Timmerman in Wanted to Buy 12 hours ago. 0 Replies

looking for LH drivers side boomerag piece, middle piece for the grille, both braces on the back of the grille and the lower end of the bumper on the right side. My car was hit in the front end. Its…Continue

Blog Posts

Electrical

Posted by Anthony Boles on August 8, 2020 at 5:46pm 5 Comments

My 1964 Cadillac electrical system is running around 17 volt which is to high,the alternator, battery and the voltage regulator was replaced but the voltage is still to high, could it be the pig tail that plugs into the voltage regulator. 

63 Caddy Horn

Posted by Robert Alan Shannon on May 27, 2020 at 9:25am 10 Comments

Just noticed a 1963  Caddy trumpet horn on Ebay. No part # given but some of his other items are 1963 specific, just throwin this out there, I have no connection to this listing .

Wiring connection help.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 24, 2020 at 9:15pm 2 Comments

Can someone help me figure where these connections go? I have a 64 60 special if it matters.…

Continue

Wood grain finally done.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 20, 2020 at 4:57pm 3 Comments

After years of wanting to, I finally redid my wood dash paneling on my 64 60s. Not too hard to do either.…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service