Per Tony,  i am starting a new thread on my adventures with this rear main leak,

i posted a video on a 390 engine of a rear main seal replacement but the engine was out of the car,, gave some insight as to sealing and materials etc.

One of my neighbors has a hoist,(yeah!) and has allowed me to use it,, makes it a lot easier than rolling around on the asphalt in the street and is enough higher that its not too confining under there.  I did have to pay attention to the lift points though as it seems you cant just put those lift arms wherever you want..

As of this evening, I have taken the exhaust loose, the steering loose, and the starter is out,, took about 4 hours to do that.  I guess there is nothing earthshaking to report on any of this.  Tomorrow, I will take the pan off and proceed from there.

To be clear before proceeding.

the 63 manual says to insert the bearings in there slots, do not pull off wax coating as that will aid in insertion.  I do not see any wax on my gasket, so my guess they had it on the old ones.,, 

Now, the question here is,, do i add a touch of oil or something to aid in that insertion process,, the manual does not suggest it, as i describe above, or, just insert dry, as is..

it does say apply rubber cement to cap and block mating surfaces, and gasket ends, but that is the only reference in the 63 manual regarding lubricaitng the seal for installation,,  so is that correct?? insert dry??

the you tube video says to use lubridation after insertion so it wont be dry on start up, so i plan to do that as well.

i will try to take a few photographs of things once i get the pan off,  i m sure most have seen the underside, but its my first venture in there and post them for reference.

Views: 712

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I should hv said.   It was rebuikt at 98k.  I like your advice,  soon as i get it fixed,,,,,,HOWEVER...... you all thought forrest gump was in a movie... well u r talking to him now.  Dumbass me,  i got to thinking bout that oil light,  i primed pump before i read your notes on draining oil same as pan.  So, i primed it up, let it run a couple minutes, light stayed on.    So,  i started thinking back, wat did i do wrong.  Then, it hit me.  When i pulled the oil screen off engine to clean it out i noticed a gasket on the attachement to block.  So i went thru my engine gasket kit, didnt find one to fit, so cut one out of a piece in the kit to fit the connection.    BUT I FORGOT TO CUT OUT THE DAMN HOLE!!!!!!.   i knew i cut the screw holes, but i knew i had forgitten the big access fluid hole!  Well, i pulled starter, dropped pan, and shur nuff,  it was blocked off.  Orded new pan gasket.  Cut new sump gasket w appropriate hole.  

Then, i looked at back bearing cap.  Some thin slices of rubber on bottom part.  I figured well that bearing gasket is toast, so pulled it off,  will attach pictures later.  I didnt notice a lot of distortion except were i suspect i damged it during installation  were that bead i wrote about earlier rolled out during installation of the gasket.  Anyway, ordered anotherone of those too.  

Also. Plus tell me that an oval hole is to be expected in the shaft were it touches dearing,  to let oil in maybe??   Picture of that to follow to.  

Kim.. you get to reward yourself with a pint of whiskey AFTER you install everything... NOT BEFORE!

Lol,   wat can i say!  Like forrest mama said.  "Stupid is as stupid does"!!

Do not be so hard on your self at all 

These repairs include a lot of  physical labor and frustration 

I think you have Brass one for attempting this difficult repair to begin with 

You did realize your error  yourself and a good second chance to get the seal right now 

A real lot  of work for you but like my dad use to say your time is free so it’s costing you nothing 
Your could be paying a mechanic ——to do the job wrong —LOL !!

Taking a break as regrouping does a lot of good before you proceed if you can 

A chance to relax and prepare your thoughts ( and a pint of whatever drink you might be into might work ) 

I will often write down the repair events of a day and when reviewing my notes develop new insights in what’s next or what I may have to rethink 

Real good chance we will get this right this time with some additional info on installing the cylinder block side of the seal 

Enjoy  

Kim, don't be so hard on yourself.   We all make mistakes but as an optimist I look at things like this as a learning experience. The blocked oil intake tube & strainer issue due to a gasket with no hole for oil to pass thru really drives home the point that new problems that arise are often the result of something we did or changed.  This is where you really have to think thru things and have patience.  I would also suggest more self-reliance. You got responses from several, including myself, on how to deal with the oil pressure light not going off, yet you figured it out yourself. You knew the changes you made and you figured it out ... none of us! So, you made a mistake... but you figured it out.  That's a good thing.

the oval hole in the crank is normal.  
The inside of the crank is hollow and filled with oil by the pump, the oval holes feed oil under pressure to the main and rod bearings.  

There is a diagram of the oil flow through the crank in the shop manual's engine chapter.

Whew!  Was worried about that.  Thanks

I can't say, I even remember what the mod looked like when Shane did it. I just remembered he did make a mod to it. I wonder if I have a pic someplace that shows it?

KIm, the engine is not damaged, so no harm done. What counts is that you are doing the work and learning. 

Kim

i think you are one of —-the best hobby mechanics to come on to our sight in years for the work you have done on your Cadillac already 

I know that you share our passion for the love of driving these great machines as you have said and you drive yours more than many do 

Like many of us you need to know what makes these cars tick and how to fix them —priceless ( actually a big money saver and you know the job will get done right in the end —-IF you do it yourself )

May I suggest we start another thread — Rear engine seal leak repair— part two - and start the second go around from there 

I have learned a good deal about this repair and find the subject very interesting as I need to know as much as I can about my own ride 

Never as much as Jason Russ and some others that choose to live here with us 

Keep up the good hard work you have been doing 

It’s just a CAR and can always be repaired one way or another unlike people that get sick and cannot be fixed 

Always  need to keep a Hobby  —-FUN or you are doing it wrong ! 
We are all here for you 

Rock on ——-!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy 

There are —No Stupid Questions — so change the movie you choose to reference 

Something more Up beat — if you will — LOL 

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 1 hour ago. 165 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Looking for 64 to 66 seat belt buckles, male and female together.

Started by Ryan Frawley in Wanted to Buy. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 5 Replies

Hey all, I am in the process of finishing up my 64 coupe deville and noticed that the front seat belts only have the retractor side in the bag I put all the belts in when I got it. I have found it…Continue

Tags: buckle, safety belt, seatbelt, seatbelts

Movie Star Cars.

Started by Kevin Campbell in General Discussion. Last reply by Kurt yesterday. 17 Replies

We have the Village Roadshow film studios about an 1.5 hour drive away.They've put out a call for cars to appear in a movie about Elvis. :-)So, I nominated our 64 Fleetwood as a potential "Movie Star…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge yesterday. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

Stuck at two red (dash) lights!

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on November 3, 2019 at 10:00pm 9 Comments

I hope someone can help solve these two electrical problems that appeared one after the other.

By way of background: The car, a '64 Eldorado has very limited use. It was at a restoration shop for 15 months until last January-  that supposedly did a bunch of wiring repairs including rebuilding the gas gauge that still hasn't worked properly, and the clock that hasn't worked, and re-soldering the broken wires in the drive door. All window and seat controls appear to be…

Continue

driveshaft help

Posted by wayne weaver on October 9, 2019 at 4:41pm 1 Comment

can anyone help me with a driveshaft ? I have a 1963 Cadillac 62 series 4dr with the hydro-matic trans. I need the male splined shaft on the front of the rear driveshaft section. the piece with the nut attached by clip.id be willing to buy a shaft if its not horribly priced.

Dash removal

Posted by Jake Mickley on October 9, 2019 at 12:06am 9 Comments

Hello everyone,

On a 63 CDV, if a guy wanted to remove the entire dash to get all the metal painted, and do some other things behind there, how would he go about doing that?  I checked here and the shop manual, but can't find a complete guide.

As always, and help or direction is appreciated.  Thanks!

--Jake

Introducing myself

Posted by Gary Marchand on October 7, 2019 at 9:32pm 8 Comments

Thanks for letting me join the club.  Picked up this ‘64 Coupe Deville a few months ago out of Beverly MA, the car has few stickers on it from various Cadillac clubs, didn’t know if anyone might recognize it from it’s “Glory days.” Everything seems pretty healthy except for the body and some very Mickey Mouse repairs, was wondering if anyone had any leads on…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service