Last fall I replaced my rear yoke and trailing arm bushings . Now with 410 miles on them the large

rear trailing arm bushings are done . I contacted Rare Parts the maker and they were defensive and

wanted me to purchase new ones and if sent the old ones back they,  upon inspection would  reimburse the original seller  (Old Parts) a seller on ebay. Seemed like a lot of hoops to jump through so I inquired at all the

known Cadillac Suppliers and it seems the Rare Parts is the only maker of the RP15606 bushings . Further

internet searches found this is a common problem. This has led to Dan McNarry and Russ Austin heading up making replacement arms with high tech bushings that do not distort and last. Rare Parts needs to retool and use rubber that will last .  In the mean time DO NOT  purchase trailing arm bushings from them with the

expectation they will last as I assure you they will fail quickly

Views: 779

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Russ

Do you still have access to the video of the rear end that was a part of the first thread and discusion about Dans arms being tested by you
I think Dans own research video of the problem
Where the wheels are off the ground and turning to show how the rear end
( gear housing ) and drive shaft u-joint were not holding there position in relation to each other that they should be due to the trailing arm bushing requiring replacement
Incorrect alignment could only cause more serious damage to the gearcase bearing seal and u- joint over time
A very good reason to have your trailing arms and bushings in the best possible condition they could be especially if you might be dealing with driveshaft vibration issues of any kind
Then again driveshaft vibration could be 5 other addition things that need to be addressed to correct that problem in total

Enjoy

Tony, the go pro video was while the car was being driven. It showed the pinion angle drastically changing under acceleration and deceleration.  This was with new bushings on the control arms with less than 2 years use.

I do not have the video, but I am looking for it.

Here is the link. Don't confuse the up and down motion of the drive shaft with the axle going up and down to the actual pinion angle changing during hard acceleration.

You can see the angle of the yolk and drive shaft change under acceleration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNEiPvx5Rno

Love the go pro video allowing one  to do things not possible before it 

viewing the activity under actual conditions while they are happening 

I think I saw another video of the same thing but this  video shows all you need to know about the movement in that area 

this tread has been focused on the TA bushings but the spherical joint above the rear end housing is a big part of keeping the rear in place where it belongs in addition 

that’s a whole other thread I would think 

Thanks Russ for finding and posting the video 

Enjoy 

in addition to the u- joint distortion the rear shocks are effected ( so there condition counts ) and the rear springs seat is shifting a bit as well with the twist up the gear case is doing 

need to tighten up and reduce that movement as much as possible to smooth out the ride of the rear of the suspension in that video 

the go pro brings this type of trouble shooting to a new level of excellence literally putting your eyes on the problem —- Nice ! 

Enjoy 

i used the McNarry replacements on my 63 per suggestion from Russ,, my back end wobble at 63 -65 mph went away,, really smoothed it out for me...  i was happy with the move

Ronnie and Doug 

The owners of our cars need your help 

Do pls take the time to return you bad bushings to Glen at Rare Parts 

If he does not get them back he has no way of looking into the problem and removing the bad bushings from his inventory if they are found to be that 

He is very interested in looking into the problem but can do nothing without retuned bushings to track down the problem so he can identify the bad rubber bushing batch ( he outsources the rubber bushings ) 

You will get a complete refund if a problem is found and I am sure we found an issue with a run of  bad rubber bushings ( my best guess ) 

I have to say the entire Cadillac community will be a better place ——if you follow up on this as these bushings are used from 58 thru 64 making  for a much larger problem for the  Cadillac community across the board regarding the bushings durability 

Hope we can —count on you to help rescue a lot of future Classic Antique Cadillac owners ( as we are ) from having had the rear control arm bushing short lived issue in the future 

Do pls advise if we can get the parts back to Glen —-Thx

Enjoy 

It will probably be sometime in the fall when I will be able to swap out the rear links on my 64 Deville, at that time I will send them to Rare Parts.

Kim

Thanks for your feed back on Dan McNarry rear control arms 

Good to know they tightened up your rear suspension at higher speeds 

Dan’s have been working out great for those who have installed them with all good feed back 

I am doing the best I can to correct the problem with the short lived CA bushings currently on the market for the —stock  CA bushings 

Enjoy 

Ronnie 

Thank you —as that will be helping many of our Cadillac owners when this bushing issue finally gets resolved for the better 

Enjoy

Community - thread summery

Until further notice --if having a need to be replacing your ---rear trailing arm bushings --on our cars the only sure method of getting that done right ( at the present time 6-11-19 ) to last as they should for the long haul would be to purchase a set of ---Dan McNarry's arms that he fabricates with poly bushings
they will hold the rear suspension were it belongs and ride is the same or better if your bushing are bad
Could possibly remove drive shaft and rear end vibration in some cases and what is described as an excessive floaty feeling in the rear suspension
There is only one company making the bushing ( Rare Parts ) no matter what your source may be and they are failing in two years or less ( 400--600 miles )

It will take a while but we are working on getting the bad bushing removed from the market place with the help of Rare Parts which they have offered to do as long as they can get back the worn damaged bushing so they can locate the bad batch of bushings on the market now
They seem very interested in getting to the bottom of the problem

Enjoy

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Comfort Control and voltage from the voltage regulator or alternator

Started by Christian Doerk in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 2 hours ago. 0 Replies

I probably currently have a similar problem like Sam G in this post:…Continue

Tags: alternator, transducer, regulator, voltage, Control

courtesy light wiring

Started by Andy Kalnins in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Mark S Anderson yesterday. 16 Replies

My right rear door courtesy light has two wires- a solid red and a black w/ white stripe. What puzzles me is that both wires have voltage across them when the key is turned to the left or right. To…Continue

Tags: wiring, light, courtesy

CLC 2019 Grand National - Louisville, Kentucky, June 11-15, 2019

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 27 Replies

1963/64 Cadillac Chapter 2019 Grand National Page www.2019GN.6364Cadillac.com…Continue

Tags: National, Grand, CLC, 2019

1979 Cadillac DeVille Phaeton Diesel

Started by DanielAndrew in For Sale yesterday. 0 Replies

1979 Cadillac DeVille Phaeton Diesel On Ebayhttps://ebay.to/2WJhc3a…Continue

Blog Posts

Cadillac Returns to its Roots Under New Leadership

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on May 1, 2019 at 12:30am 3 Comments

Cadillac’s new boss says they should stop trying to build BMWs and go back to building Cadillacs again.

What do you think? 

https://carbuzz.com/news/cadillac-finally-admits-what-everyone-knew-for-years

Radiator And Shrouds

Posted by Dominic Salemi on April 24, 2019 at 3:36pm 1 Comment

Hello

Anyone have a decent radiator and shrouds and hardware for a 1964 Cadillac deville. I have an alum. radiator and I'm deciding on to fix it or back to the original one. If I fix it I won't need parts.

Thanks

64 Recirc/Fresh Air Door Actuator replaced; FROM THE INSIDE.

Posted by Norman Silverman on February 4, 2019 at 11:21pm 8 Comments

I am happy to report that I have successfully replaced the Fresh Air/Recirc door actuator that is located on the blower box-and have done so without having to remove the blower box. I did it by taking out the glove box and attacking it from the back.  It took several days, LOTS of patience and some band-aids, but it is done. THE most difficult part -BY FAR- is to remove and then replace the screw that sits on the actuator arm, connecting it to the fresh…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service