Views: 406

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should see about spraying some rust preventative inside that rear lip of the trunk lid since these cars seem to be rust prone back there. 

Yes Sir, that is my biggest concern.

Going for the patina look Joe?

No I think not. Got 2 estimates so far, $ 6000 to $7000 on one. And $1000 on another. 

Besides the trunk lid the drainage track under the trunk seal is rusting, and that's most of the work. The second estimate said he would sandblasted and then treated for rust and then fiberglass it. What are your thoughts on that?

You could always buy a new trunk lip from Russ. Have it welded in and it's fixed for good. Fiberglass will work fine and be invisible to the naked eye. If it's done right with a new gasket it should last your lifetime.

Thank you. Are you saying Russ sells replacement trunk lips?

I have cut out the trunk seal lip before, on parts cars. If you want the sheet metal, I just need a picture showing what to send to you. The trunk seal lip goes all the way around the trunk.

Joe D
There is a guy in Sarasota Fl that bought the trunk lip from Russ and installed it into his Cadillac because his was bad
He has posted on here showing the metal repairs he is doing and his work is real real good
You may have seen it
His cars body was pretty bad so a lot of metal repair shown in photos
I think he indicated that he wanted to move into doing this kind of repair work for a living so might be worth touching base with him
I cannot be sure how far you want to take fixing your truck rail due to the expense involved doing it diffrent ways
Not at all sure how to contact the guy but ---he has been there done that --if he wants the job
Worth a phone call i would think

Russ --May have contact info having done business with him in the past

Enjoy

I took my car to my painter this morning and discovered that the drip rail wasn't as bad as I thought it was. I'm going to scrape it and then use a rust inhibiting paint.

scraped it, wire brushed it, vacuumed it all out and painted it. Ready for the body shop

After your done this trunk lid project Joe, it's time for new cardboard and carpet for the inside of that caddy's trunk. 

Your right, I'm going to start a go fund me account. Would you like to be the first to donate ?

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 11 hours ago. 158 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

Trunk Pull-down

Started by Brian and Dorothy Lewis in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 11 hours ago. 9 Replies

Hi gang.  While reviewing the extensive photo archives on this site, I came across an excellent series of photos documenting a trunk pull-down assembly posted by Jason Edge.  I really didn't even…Continue

Exhaust manifold: Repair, replace or headers?

Started by Dutch Dickinsen in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 12 hours ago. 4 Replies

My newly acquired '64 Coupe DeVille suffers from a cracked right side exhaust manifold.It looks like my options are limited to rolling the dice on a used manifold, converting to headers or seeing if…Continue

Tags: 429, manifold, exhaust

Steering Wheel

Started by Mark Borer in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 13 hours ago. 1 Reply

plz watch this videoIt shows play between the 2 cylinders that make up my columni have tightened everything up as best as I can....but it moves a bitthe lower cover had a screw that lined it up, and…Continue

Blog Posts

Starter Solenoid replacement-how difficult? Where to buy?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 20, 2019 at 8:24pm 8 Comments

Hello All.

I believe the starter solenoid has gone bad in my 64 DeVille. When I turn the key, often all I get is a click, then if I try a few times again the starter turns perfectly. All battery cables are on tight and the battery is good. So, I believe this problem is the solenoid. Where do I buy the right solenoid and is it necessary to remove the starter in order to swap it out? …

Continue

Frame Markings

Posted by Gene McIlroy on August 12, 2019 at 6:26pm 1 Comment

Just got my frame back from powder coating so thought I would post photos of the front and rear frame markings.…

Continue

Lining up the drive shaft

Posted by Dominic Salemi on August 12, 2019 at 5:47pm 2 Comments

Can anyone shed some light on how to position the complete drive shaft in the correct position? I want to make sure my drive shaft is installed properly.

Thanks

Dominic

Upper A Arm Rubber Bumpers

Posted by Gene McIlroy on August 12, 2019 at 1:30pm 3 Comments

I have found a very good replacement part for the Upper A Arm Bumpers.  The top part is identical to the originals the bottom can be used as is or after a few minutes with a belt sander can be ground to the V shape as the originals were.  The replacement bumpers are for a 2001 to 2005 S10 Sanoma or Blazer.  Part number is on the box in the photos.  First photo is the box next to the box is the S10 part and an original.  Next photo shows my sanded down part next to an original.…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service