I picked up a 64 Sedan DeVille, which had sat since 2006 before getting aquired by a dealer this year. Dealer said car started right up but got no oil pressure, so he shut it down and brought it to his mechanic, who opened the oil pump cover and said front cover was shot.
So, I got the car prepared to swap in a running 429 I have. Upon getting the car, I see that it has a new looking water pump, fresh silicone squeezing out of water pump and front cover, engine oil is clean as is filter. Hmm I say, I do a quick compression check and get 185 to 225 psi. Seems like a healthy engine, I plan to put new oil pump in and see what happens.
I pull the front cover and this is what I found, globs of silicone and the oil passage from the oil pan pickup plugged! So some hack had changed the water pump and re-installed the front cover using 2 tubes of silicone, fired the car up and had no oil pressure and then the car sat that way for 12 years.
You are looking at the original stock teflon coated cam gear In the picture
You want to change that for an all metal one as these are known to come apart over time and miles -- i see stress cracks in the one in the picture
The teflon breaks and falls to the bottom
The engines mileage could be on the low side as the cam gear is still in pretty good condition
You would change both gears and the timing chain one of the very best things you can do to produce smooth power and strong engine performance "
When you clean up the silicone the oil pressure could come back which would be real nice thing
Yes, have new timing chain and gears on the way.
Going to drop the pan and plastigage bearings also.
A perfect reason why it is not advised to use a lot of sealant material on the engine gaskets
To much overflow can block fluid passages
Use as little sealant as is possible
Mostly to hold the gaskets in place so they do not shift when installing them
Excellent detective work, hope the engine can be saved.
One odd thing --that has happened regarding oil pressure comes to mind
You will loose your oil pressure if a valve in the oil pump get debri in it
This would usually happen after some machine work is done on the aluminum front engine cover ---oil pump gears
Do check that as that could have been the cause of the first -- NO oil pressure problem --
I have only heard of one time this happened to our year car owner on the road
A CLC member was on his way to a get together and he lost oil pressure while driving
He shut the car down and found that to be the cause when they looked into it
Thanks for the heads up.
I don't think the silicone guy was in the oil pump, there was no silicone on oil pump cover and the pump gears looked old with some grooves on the edges. I found no debris when I removed the valve. I think the front cover was for some reason, removed during the water pump replacement.
The front cover has some light scoring in the oil pump cavity and the oil pump cover has some shallow grooves on it, which I will clean up. Nothing that I believe would cause oil pressure problems.
Will just have to see what happens when I get it all back together.
It looks like the Antique Cadillac you would be purchasing --is only as good as the mechanical skills of the cars prior owner or owners
Tha crazy amount of silicone is a perfect example of a driveway hobby mechanic gone astray
Not as easy as it SB to know what you are purchasing -will require in time money and effort at this point in time --50 plus years later
Enjoy the jouney - back to - it rides like a Cadillac - when that happens
Just thought I'd update this.
Finally all back together.
All bearing clearances checked good, but I ended up pulling engine and tranny to replace all gaskets and seals and paint (note: do not use "Motor Coater" paint, their Cadillac blue is too dark). Primed new oil pump and fired up and got good oil pressure and she runs great, had a noisy lifter that went away once warm. So the original no oil pressure problem was a result of the gobs of silicone used to seal the timing cover.
The problem when working on projects like this is dancing around and falling in that rabbit hole, one thing leading to another. I ended up re-doing the all the brakes, carburetor, all front end parts, rear control arms, springs, shocks and steering gearbox.
She's a 50 footer, but now a solid dependable driver.
I bet a little time with a buffer would get that paint looking amazing. I really like the wheels and tires you put on it. Looks like a tuxedo.
Thanks, I wanted to do something a little different that is easily reversible since my 64 Fleetwood has the stock hub caps and thin walls.
I will try and buff the paint out, it does have some shine left to go along with all of the blemishes.
Wonderful solution to an oil pressure problem
A bit lucky you found the problem and got it repaired
Getting the cars drive train reliable would be my first priority and then get the exterior and interior in the desired condition would seem like the way to go
You can then drive the car and enjoy it while continuing to improve it
Get the car out for a drive when you finally can and the reaction you get from onlookers will make all the repair work and expense worth every penny
Having the car out and about-- is what all the expense blood and tears is all about
Sometimes the most fun you can have with your cloths on !
Or -with your cloths OFF in the back seat -and doors open can work too !