while out for a cruise and to a car show, i was heading home, car started sputtering,, would go, then no feel ing of gas, would go a while, then sputter .  i started thinking of quickest way home with out to many stops,  got about 6 blocks and it died.   

it sounded or felt like a car does when you run out of gas, but, that is not possible as I just put gas in it about 2 hours earlier, so i have half a tank, but that is the feeling,,   sputtering, then go, then sputter some more, then go,, then died,

walked home, going back in the truck see if i can get it started with some fuel in carb and sputter it home,

it is not running hot, no other particular symptom.  

would his be most likely fuel pump or blocked fuel filter,, ??

anyway, thought on the above while i go and try to get er home.. I'm just glad i did nt suffer embarrassment of it croaking at the car show as i drove through, but then again,, some one there may have known what it was,, oh well,, 

old cars i guess

Views: 1124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, i applied the grease carefully to avoid the shoes.

Believe me,  no one wants this car running good more than I do.  I know the forum cringes when they see my name pop up with a problem.  

I am still going to have that old time mechanic ride with me next week, sort of a post work check ride, make sure things are running and the car is feeling like these cars should on the road.  

Car does feel better after the distributor tie down, and the wire change.  I still intend to empty tank, change out he rubber lines, they do look bad, and, notice a little leakage staining at the carb gaskets and the top gasket is a bit gummy,  so if a couple of  full rain days come up, or, if i get back to Montana and i still havent rebult carburetor,, i know we will have plenty of cold snowy days in late april and may, so i will do then.

Again, thanks so much for everyones help, Attaching a photo so you know that this is not a junker with no hope, and it actually looks very very nice.  So again,  thanks so much, I'm getting there and learning..

Great looking car there Kim!  Hopefully that loose cap was the culprit and you can get back to enjoying your car.   Don’t hesitate to post on the forums.  Lots of knowledge to be exchanged here.

Your loose distributor cap was the likely cause of the problem. 

When the engine compartment heats up parts expand and can separate but could be close enough to make contact when cold. 

I had same issue with ignition circuit wire harness behind engine after engine rebuild because this shop didn't snap the two halves of the plug together all the way. 

Replacing parts before you determine the cause of the problem is a popular past time but can get expensive.  

The smart fellow who solved my issue said to run the engine and jiggle all the wires under the hood and sure enough it sputtered and stalled. 

Good luck. 

Hi Jeff, thanks for the notes,, i am hoping!!

Tony,  well,

last night after my afternoon ride, took her out on the by pass and it ran like shyt,   sputtered, hesitated.  so it was back to the internet to search,,nothing new,, either fuel or electrical,, but i did get a really good description from someone on how it feels,, he said it "pulsed" at cruising speeds mostly and at very slight applications of gas pedal,, that pulsed feeling, plus the occasional complete drop off of rpm is exactly the term i was searching for,, so, 

today, as i was planned to do, i checked timing after all the wire changes, distributor tied down, checked the plugs, all seemed good order,

I hooked up the timing gun and checked timing, it was off 5 degrees,, up at 0,, so i turned in back to the 5 as prescribed in the book and the car just sounded so much better as the distributor turned,, 

i am now off for another test ride, and see how it does..

stay tuned.!!

speaking of schnauzers,, they are chick magnets!!!!  

Tony,, gonna see if this last revelation of timing and such does the trick,, if not,, a rainy day, and the carb thing will be gotten into,, hoping beyond hope this does it..

i understand what you are saying about the stuff in the carb,, all of my you tube research has given me a little better understanding of what it does,

Another often overlooked item is the coil. 

You could check for a strong spark blue or weak yellow.  This might be affected by engine heat  

We had a cracked coil that was failing the crack was facing the manifold and not visible. 

If sputtering only happens when the car is warmed up it could be related to heat and or air affecting the fuel delivery  

Did you try jiggling the unferhood wires with the engine running?

did you check the carburetor to intake manifold bolts? The pcv hose and valve? The vacuum lines at rear of carburetor?

is your car overheating? 

are your battery cables and alternator wires clean and tight?

A cracked intake manifold could let air into the engine once it gets hot but this is probably rare  

HI Jeff

havent checked coil yet,, 

did give wires a shake this a.m.,, nothing was noted.

havent turned manifold blots, how  or valve,  i am going to finish my riding on the electrical thing, if that doesnt get it,, its up to the carburetor thing,, i cant do too many things at once, i will get overwhelmed..

car does not over heat,, always runs at 1/4 on the gauge,, unless i drive at 70 or so, and it will bump up a little, but maybe a 1/8th inch past the 1/4 mark.  if i drop speed, it comes back down.

yes, battery cables, grounds etc are good, dealt with all that during some starter issues.

if these recent revelations dont fix it,, i will be heading up to carburetor.,,, again,.thanks for the info.. 

Have you replaced the distributor cap? Spark plug and Coil to cap wires? 

Have you drained and flushed your gas tank? 

Is the steel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor touching the intake manifold?

Have you replaced the fuel pump?

Have you inspected the sock filter on your fuel tank pick up?

did you check the vacuum advance diaphragm on your distributor?

If you go end to end with the fuel system and ignition system you will likely find the culprit. 

These cars were designed to run reliably and simply but the component parts were never expected to last 54 years!

Also not all replacement parts are correct or good quality.

Jeff

No on cap. Yes on wires

Working on rest

After the timing change, checking plugs, wires for good fit.

Took for 2 - 30 mile rides, 15 mikes out at 55.  No problens, hesitation,  ride back in at 65, again, no prblems.  Now thqt doesnt convince me its fixed, but i do see improvement, car has zip and very responsive when i give it a,good push on accelerator at any cruisin speed. Not quite like 73 eldo 500, but not bad.  

The 30 to 50 dollar parts are cutting n2 my skirt chasing and womanizing,  so i hv to address these additional items in a bit more equal parity. But getting there piece by piece, 2 n 3 hours at a time, along w  hours  of 8nstructional you tube video. 

Thanks for the ck list

Will check.  

Tony, please see my last reply to Jeff,  it has update on test rides yesterday after timing change.  Additional note, that brake grease may have stopped the brake sticking as i had no issues of smelling shoes, or shaking on two 30 mile runs over 55.  

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Modern radio antenna …

Started by Mack in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion yesterday. 0 Replies

Just replaced radios for the modern radios with Bluetooth and all the dance things and wanted to share how I went around the antenna knob… I’ve installed a regular two way GM window switch in the…Continue

BOOT

Started by John Inglesby in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Marty Smith yesterday. 1 Reply

I recently purchased a new boot for my 64 convertible and was wondering how difficult it s to install. I'm not very mechanical. It looks like the chrome piece behind and at top of seats needs to be…Continue

63 Exhaust Hanger Mystery

Started by Mike Travers in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Cees de Bunje on Monday. 8 Replies

I'm in the process of installing a stainless steel single exhaust from Classic Exhaust on my '63 Coupe de Ville. I'm running into a mystery regarding my middle exhaust bracket. I have the bracket…Continue

TH400 Dipstick Tube Seal

Started by Logan Robb in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Logan Robb on Monday. 9 Replies

In my “rebuild” of the transmission, I ordered a dipstick tube seal. However, I’m not sure if the right one came or how to best install the seal. I am wondering if anyone has replaced this seal OR…Continue

Blog Posts

Loud air moving sound within carb with cleaner removed

Posted by Dave Fehrle on March 23, 2024 at 3:23pm 8 Comments

While checking my Carter carb with engine running, I took the air cleaner off and there was a very loud hissing sound of air. I placed a piece of paper over the carb and it didn’t move up or down, is this normal?

Vintage Air AC

Posted by Chase on March 21, 2024 at 5:55am 0 Comments

Hey everyone, has anybody done a Vintage Air AC/Heat setup in their car? I want to bypass the old vacuum setup and go with a Vintage Air Gen 2 model. Before I get started, does anyone have any experience with this? (Which model to go with, do’s and dont’s, etc.) It looks pretty involved. Any and all info/pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

accumulator dryer

Posted by CHRIS CARLSON on December 6, 2023 at 10:54am 0 Comments

Who rebuilds original AC  accumulator dryers for 1964 Cadillac? I have been on Classic auto air in Tampa FL wait list for over a year ,  There is one on Old air products web site that looks very similar to the original # 21-4214A but states it fits 1962 Gm cars, The one recommended for a 1964 Cadillac is half the length 21-4215A    What  is everyone using ? I would prefer to be as original as possible. Thanks

'63 Eldorado trumpet horn + 2 standard horns restoration

Posted by Les Eastling on November 15, 2023 at 10:34am 1 Comment

My son, unbeknownst to me, had all three of the horns on our 1963 Eldorado completely restored. We had recently added the Eldorado trumpet horn to the two standard horns and the sound was not very good... we had heard good ones so we knew something was not right... but there was not much we could do to get better sound from the 3 horns. 

There is a restoration service called The Horn Works who my son…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service