while out for a cruise and to a car show, i was heading home, car started sputtering,, would go, then no feel ing of gas, would go a while, then sputter .  i started thinking of quickest way home with out to many stops,  got about 6 blocks and it died.   

it sounded or felt like a car does when you run out of gas, but, that is not possible as I just put gas in it about 2 hours earlier, so i have half a tank, but that is the feeling,,   sputtering, then go, then sputter some more, then go,, then died,

walked home, going back in the truck see if i can get it started with some fuel in carb and sputter it home,

it is not running hot, no other particular symptom.  

would his be most likely fuel pump or blocked fuel filter,, ??

anyway, thought on the above while i go and try to get er home.. I'm just glad i did nt suffer embarrassment of it croaking at the car show as i drove through, but then again,, some one there may have known what it was,, oh well,, 

old cars i guess

Views: 487

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Save your money and get a working carb on that engine --all better

I have tried to explain you carb has been leaking fuel into your engine ---since the problem with the engine flooding when on a incline a good while back --as i see it
That should not happen --even on an incline
That suports my theory that the carb is leaking fuel into the intake now and ocassionaly flooding the intake causing the sputtering to be happening
The plugs are having a problem burning off the excessive fuel build up in the intake and are stumbling through a rich mixtire that happens intermittently

Tony, the problem back then, had nothing to do with the carb and all to do with gravity.

The car was on such a steep incline, with the front in a dip and on a cock-eyed angle with a full load of fuel on board, and it simply siphoned itself to the lowest point with an opening. It just happened to be the carb, which is why, it put fuel in the cylinders, the oil pan and literally ran out the top of the carb where the accelerator pump plunger is.

It does absolutely 3/4 of 5/8 of sweet F. A. to confirm your theory.

A good mechanic @ $75.00 per hour, to me at least, would seem good value to nail down what's happening.

Being hands on, able to see, hear, drive the car and get a feel for what's happening is going to solve the problem way faster than this thread is.

The needles and seats in the carbs fuel bowls is a basic on - off valve that is controlled by a float that rises as the fuel comes into the fuel bowl and at the right fuel height closes off the fuel flow to that bowl
When the fuel is consumed the float drops to the bottom to let fuel into the fuel bowl
That is how it should work
When the N&S are worn they no longer shut the gas flow off completely as they should be
That allows more fuel to fill the fuel bowl than should be there and causes the gas to overflow over the walls of the fuel bowl into the intake manifold --which should not be able to happening
Now you have to much fuel in your intake manifold that has to be burned off
The carb is not suppling the proper ratio of fuel to the intake

At 75 dollars an hour --( and possibly being ripped off in addition ) you are much better with my experience and advice in the long run -
Just work thru one issue at a time just as you have been until there are none for a while and the car is humming

Im getting there, i parked car, did something else for a while, went back out, and checked all my connections again after the cap replacement,  seems one wire to the distributor was not locked solidly all the way down,, i put it down, checked all the rest, and was off again, no problems,  car seemed to run just fine for about 40 miles,, parked it, went out again, no problems,, parked it, back again for just short errands around town, again, no problem, soooo, I'm thinking/hoping that that spark plug wire not being full locked down may have settled it after the cap change, 

will know tomorrow when i take it back out for rounds and a quick trip out of town for a bout 30 miles out, an see if it sputters...

i am going to need to find a you tube video that shows the way a carb takes in fuel, puts it where it needs to go and where it goes from there,   I understand your explanation, but need some visual backup to fortify the thought.  

My use of the mechanic at this time is to take care out, ride, and feel.   I have been driving diesels for 20 plus years now and other than some occasional modern rentals, have nt been in gas cars, especially a 50+ year of car.  I will ask him questions, and hope to have him go under the hood and i can point out some things that will help me with understanding how things work,  i will pay him for his ride, but i intend on utilizing your experience and everyones as best i can as much as can be conveyed over the net..   i also know that to keep this car, i have to be able to work on it myself, and not carry it in for repairs.. i just need a little show and tell to get me over some of the bumps.

No need to keep setting the timing
It will stay the same unless you change it with the pertronics ignition system
Set it once and forget it --ok
No need to do any additional work not needed

If the solution to this problem --is a carb rebuild --i am sticking with -my opinion -that this carb is leaking fuel both now and in the past causing the problems it has
Lets see what his mechanic comes up with regarding taking Kims car for a ride
No question -to hear the sputter in person could make the difference in solving the sputter problem
It is always the intermittent problem that are the most difficult to trouble shoot
We are working on it and will get it repaired !

i took the car out again this morning, a ride to the lake, bout 30 miles up , 30 back, not one hiccup,  mostly highway cruising driving.  i am guessing, or hoping, that for now, fully seating that wire to the distributor cap may have been the reason for the acting up after the cap/rotor change.   it really did seem to ride very nicely,  

Im sure the carb rebuild is in my near future,  will continue to take out and use, see if the current situation maintains the status quo of doing ok for now..  will keep informed of any re occurrences.

Kim, I sure hope you got it; this is very good news. Much admire your determination and patience with your ride. Much good luck to you!  

Looks good so far -for now - very very glad for you !
Lets see what happens with some time on the car
The cap - could have been the problem - it is the first thing to do after new point ( or after installing a Pertronics )
I did think it was a new cap so i overlooked that
Best to do the ignition replacement upgrades together so all is fresh and parts are wearing together until the next required maintenance needs to be done
One of the first place i go if having ignition problems --are the points rotor and cap
Let the carb be --if the car is running good now
All will be great unless ---you put so many miles on the engine trying ---to trouble shoot your cars problems --we wear the engine out !!---PMSL !!!!!!!
Only kidding !!

• Add Photos

Another Great Day for Cruising with Dino & The Pooches

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion. Last reply by Kevin Campbell 5 minutes ago. 1 Reply

Had gorgeous weather here in NC again today and did that mandatory cruising around this afternoon. This time I stopped in front of the Garner NC water tower downtown Garner and about 1/2 miles from…Continue

Tags: ville, de, coupe, edge, jason

NOS Parts

Started by Ian Osborne in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

I'm always checking eBay for parts and wanted to pass along that I've seen some pretty cool NOS parts at what I think are reasonable prices lately. Among others, there is a front license plate holder…Continue

No heat or outher ventilation

Started by Peter in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 3 hours ago. 20 Replies

Is it possible to open mode door manuellt.? (brooken mode vacuum Power unit).Continue

Original fuel pump.

Started by Russ Austin in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by William R Conte 4 hours ago. 1 Reply

Blog Posts

seat belts

Posted by dan mcnatty on March 17, 2018 at 4:35pm 3 Comments

I am installing front seat belts in 63 coupe the holes were already in floor but I do not know how to route inner belts it appears they go through seat in middle?did not find how to remove center armrest on seat  are openings there or do you cut into seat? any help or pictures would be great dan

Seat belt restoration

Posted by Michael Forte on March 6, 2018 at 12:00am 4 Comments

During the process of a complete restoration (and color change) of my ‘63s interior during the winter of 2016, I replaced the aftermarket seatbelts that were in my car with restored original '64 buckles and retractors.  I had a terrific experience with Ssnake-Oyl Products out of Tyler Texas, so I thought I share the info. 

In my opinion, the '64 seat belt buckle with the Cadillac Crest is the coolest looking seat belt buckle ever put in a car.  Apparently, they're not easy to find in…

Drive shaft Question

Posted by Christopher Belinda on February 26, 2018 at 12:45pm 3 Comments

Good Morning - I have read several, very informative posts on this site regarding the 63/64 drive shaft and am looking for a few recommendations.  My Park Avenue is a relatively low mileage car (32,000); however, in an effort to make this a very reliable, long distance traveler I would like to ensure that this vital component has a clean bill of health.  Normally, this would mean replacing all universal joints, greasing the slip yoke, and replacing the carrier bearing/mount.  As you have…

Air Suspension - How to Choose and Install

Posted by Michael Forte on February 19, 2018 at 10:00pm 15 Comments

What I enjoy most about old cars is that they can be restored to original condition, radically customized, or somewhere between those extremes, reflecting the owner's individual style.  For my '63 Convertible, I want to achieve a mostly original look, with minor custom touches to make it clean, smooth, and low.  This article is to share my experience in choosing and installing the suspension components to achieve a low stance and a comfortable ride.

I purchased my car in August of…

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service