while out for a cruise and to a car show, i was heading home, car started sputtering,, would go, then no feel ing of gas, would go a while, then sputter .  i started thinking of quickest way home with out to many stops,  got about 6 blocks and it died.   

it sounded or felt like a car does when you run out of gas, but, that is not possible as I just put gas in it about 2 hours earlier, so i have half a tank, but that is the feeling,,   sputtering, then go, then sputter some more, then go,, then died,

walked home, going back in the truck see if i can get it started with some fuel in carb and sputter it home,

it is not running hot, no other particular symptom.  

would his be most likely fuel pump or blocked fuel filter,, ??

anyway, thought on the above while i go and try to get er home.. I'm just glad i did nt suffer embarrassment of it croaking at the car show as i drove through, but then again,, some one there may have known what it was,, oh well,, 

old cars i guess

Views: 661

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff

No on cap. Yes on wires

Working on rest

After the timing change, checking plugs, wires for good fit.

Took for 2 - 30 mile rides, 15 mikes out at 55.  No problens, hesitation,  ride back in at 65, again, no prblems.  Now thqt doesnt convince me its fixed, but i do see improvement, car has zip and very responsive when i give it a,good push on accelerator at any cruisin speed. Not quite like 73 eldo 500, but not bad.  

The 30 to 50 dollar parts are cutting n2 my skirt chasing and womanizing,  so i hv to address these additional items in a bit more equal parity. But getting there piece by piece, 2 n 3 hours at a time, along w  hours  of 8nstructional you tube video. 

Thanks for the ck list

Kim
Think about checking the dist cap termiinals inside the cap to see if it being loose cause a problem with the internal cap terminals

Will check.  

Jeff
We have coverd a number of the items you have suggested in a couple of threads here
as this has been a long drawn out process for Kim
His Sputter issue looks to be a fuel delivery problem and i think we are down to a carb rebuild And rubber fuel line replacement

I do think we have covered the ignition side of the problem at this point with new ignition wires and now finding the loose dist cap
The coil could be in question regarding the ignition still

So that about where we are with this issuev

Enjoy

Tony, please see my last reply to Jeff,  it has update on test rides yesterday after timing change.  Additional note, that brake grease may have stopped the brake sticking as i had no issues of smelling shoes, or shaking on two 30 mile runs over 55.  

Kim
Only use the dist caps with the brass terminals
The white metal terminals will leave you stranded ( as in the treads title suggests )

Enjoy

Kim
What does --dist cap - no mean ??

If this means you have do not have a NEW dist cap in the car go to the store right now and get a NEW one with brass terminals
Worn dist caps can be a perfect cause of misfiring or sputtering as it will throw off the ignition timing

I did not suggest the cap being standard maintenance because i though you had done that already when installing the pertronics ignition which is the way it should have been done
Do replace the cap and rotor ASAP
Real good chance this is the problem

Jeff i think you suggested something i took for granted he should have done already
--all good

Enjoy

Hope you are on the way to the auto store for a new dist cap and rotor as that is suspect --big time at this point
If not i hope you are riding around with the car running good for you

Update needed !

Enjoy

Kim—Kim— Kim

Need an update 

What’s Up ??

Enjoy 

wish i had better news!!   changed out the cap and rotor,  reset timing to 5,  in town riding seemed fine, got a little gas, headed out for a 20 mile ride to the lake, and i didnt get one mile  down the road before it really started t sputter and kick  i punched it, and it would sputter and carry on then as well,   so,

i guess back to drawing board,, 

it's odd, really, two days ago,  not one sputter on 30 to 40 miles of driving, and then today, it shows up again,, 

completely random

Kim, just book it in with a mechanic who has the gear to diagnose the problem.

This, throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks scenario is just wasting time, money and i'm sure, patience.

Find a mechanic with old car/classic car experience, diagnose it correctly, fit the parts and the jobs done correctly and you can start driving it with confidence.

Thanks Kevin,  i have an appt this week with a long time mechanic,  he was going to go on an extended ride, get a feel for how it drives in general, and if the condition happens to show its face while there, he can have a basis,, definitely a strain on the patience, What is worse, i just took it out for about a 40 mile ride, not one sputter,, earlier today, didnt think i would get home, the randomness is very frustrating, one minute you think, fixed!! next minute, worry bout getting home..

thanks for the suggestion,,

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Polyurethane Replacement Trailing Arm Bushings

Started by Dan McNarry in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Dan McNarry 4 minutes ago. 34 Replies

Is there an interest in a polyurethane bushing that could replace the stock rear bushings without the need to change trailing arms? Just wondering.Continue

Tags: suspension, bushing, arm, Trailing

New Car Gallery Page Created - Post a Picture of your 1963/64 Cadllac

Started by Jason Edge in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 1 hour ago. 5 Replies

Hello 63/64 Cadillac Website Members,Hope you are all staying safe amid the Coronavirus shutdown and wanted to share something new & fun on the 63/64 Cadllac Website at…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

How to sensibly deal with the Corona Virus

Posted by Jeff Kinzler on March 14, 2020 at 5:02pm 6 Comments

https://theamericanscholar.org/covid-19-a-primer/

I found this very helpful, written by a knowledgeable authority in public health. 

Remember, Viruses are not spread by Cadillacs so get out and drive!

Safe & Healthy travels. 

Jeff Kinzler

1963 Eldorado convertible boot

Posted by Les Eastling on February 27, 2020 at 10:33am 1 Comment

I need a used convertible boot for a 63 Cadillac convertible - condition or color is not an issue since it will be used as a pattern for making a new one. One from either a 62 series convertible or an Eldorado would work. I know I am searching for hen's teeth here... but you never know unless you ask!

Looking for 63 Convertible / Coupe rear side trim

Posted by Gene McIlroy on January 24, 2020 at 12:18pm 0 Comments

Want to find a good straight dent free rear side trim for my 1963 Convertible.  I have both sides but they do not match.  Wanting to get them to match.  I am attaching a photo of the two trim sided that I have really wanting the squared off trim if I can get it.  Let's see what you have,…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service