I have a 64 and the timing is to far advanced  the vacuum advance hits the valve cover I think this is a result of my father in law having a timing chain put on years ago what is the best remedy ? Pull out housing and reposition it ? Also trying to figure out if maybe they installed the wires  wrong  where exactly should rotor be pointing on TDC ?  and is it possible if it was installed off  that the wires could of been moved on the cap  to make it run .have had this car 27 years and always runs hot and won't start till the engine cools down ( like it is to far advanced  haven't thrown a light on it yet I am doing my homework so when I tackle it I am prepared  I have seen the diagrams here but doesn't really show  clock position of rotor on tdc  any advise is appreciated 

Views: 328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK thnk I got the reply and post down  sucks being newbee 

You must have a 1964 series 62 car as they came through with the Jetaway transmission that was used in all Cadillacs from 1956-63 and the 1964 series 62 cars.  DeVille models had the new Turbo Hydramatic which today we call the TH400. 

If you have access to a shop manual, there is a section in there regarding adjusting the linkage to the transmission.  I would be that if you Google it, you will also find the answer. 

This site is great for tech advice, don't be shy. There are always people willing to help you keep it alive and if you decide to sell, there is a section on the site for that as well.

All the best,

Mike 

OK  I am back at it this thing is just Idling to fast  I got totally fed up with it last time now I have to do something with it   but if it runs for 10 mins  it is to hot to restart  It starts and runs fine  It is just to fast at idle  I am at wits end and this car will be causing to have a stroke  I know there must be answers I just can't find them  the carb linkage looks nothing like any posted  and the motors manual I have doesn't address  this problem 

Steve, these cars can be frustrating for sure!  For now, you can disconnect the throttle linkage entirely in order to idle the engine, set the timing, adjust the carb etc.  It sounds like someone may have switched the linkage on you or it is way out of adjustment?  Super fast idle could also indicate a vacuum leak, especially if you hear a "whooshing" sound around the base of the carb.

If you could post a photo of the linkage that may help with diagnosis or identification.

Thanks I will do that thank you very much for responding 

here they are 

Attachments:

OK I found it  was a cracked hose going to the PCV valve and a bad PCV plugged the port on the carb  now my question is where does the PCV go  it appears to be a hose that disappears under the intake . also can some one point me to detailed instructions for adjusting that TV  down shift rod  my car is holding gears to long I let up on petal and it shifts  a little like a bad modulator valve on a ford  ( my motors only shows a picture of it )  Thanks all for your help 

Steve, you are correct. The PCV hose connects to a breather tube under the intake manifold, towards the rear of the engine.  To access, you will probably have to remove the intake. You may want to replace the hose at this point since you are digging in this far and probably do not want to touch it again. 

You said you have a Motors manual?  I am not sure what year manual you have but the shift linkage from Cadillac '56-'64 Hydramatic (Jetaway) are nearly identical and you can look at the transmission section of the manual for any of those years to see the correct adjustment. Your transmission was used on the series 62 Cadillacs in 1964 and was called a Hydramatic whereas the identical transmission was known as a Jetaway when used in Olds, Buick and Pontiacs. This was the last year Cadillac used that trans in any cars as the Coupe DeVilles used a TH-400 in '64 which became standard across the board in '65.  Best of luck!

The PCV was spliced into that hose and tucked under the manifold  the hose going under seems OK  I just caped the port on the carb to get it to the right Idle when the new PCV comes I should be able to cut that hose back a little and make a new piece between the PCV and carb  as far as linkage gonna dig into that next   I know one way is faster and the other slower  Thanks for the info  I greatly appreciate it 

Steve
What model is the car and where is it located ?

Enjoy

not sure  no name on it  it has 4 doors cloth  seats  and that transmission pretty sure the engine is a 390 her grandmother bought it new in 64  it has been garage kept iout side Chicago since about 1980

Tell us the VIN and we tell what you have, or you can find out yourself from this list:

Suggest you buy a Cadillac Shop Manual if you gonna keep fixing this car.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Rear glass

Started by David Stapp in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by David Stapp 5 minutes ago. 10 Replies

anyone know of a company that makes the rear glass for our cars? I can’t seem to find any. 1964 4 door 4 window hard top.…Continue

Where can I buy resistance wire for my 1963?

Started by Tim Walterson in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tim Walterson 8 minutes ago. 4 Replies

Hello - just signed up for this forum - looks like a great resource!  I perused the posts and did some searches.  I see most of the posts related to my questions are about doing away with resistance…Continue

front engine pulley removal

Started by tom servas in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by tom servas 10 hours ago. 7 Replies

Am removing the front cover on our 64 engine with AC. Have all 6 bolts that hold the pulley onto the damper removed, can wiggle the pulley BUT it will not come fully off the damper, Is there…Continue

Blog Posts

Is there a separate Starter Relay, or does the Solenoid serve that purpose?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 30, 2019 at 5:57pm 7 Comments

Hello All.

I will be replacing the starter solenoid tomorrow (actually my mechanic will do the work, I'll just supervise). In checking the FSM electrical schematic and chapter verbiage, I don't see anything that looks like (or is referred to as) a starter Relay. It seems the Starter Solenoid serves the function and there's no separate relay. Right or Wrong?

If wrong, where…

Continue

Starter Solenoid replacement-how difficult? Where to buy?

Posted by Norman Silverman on August 20, 2019 at 8:24pm 8 Comments

Hello All.

I believe the starter solenoid has gone bad in my 64 DeVille. When I turn the key, often all I get is a click, then if I try a few times again the starter turns perfectly. All battery cables are on tight and the battery is good. So, I believe this problem is the solenoid. Where do I buy the right solenoid and is it necessary to remove the starter in order to swap it out? …

Continue

Frame Markings

Posted by Gene McIlroy on August 12, 2019 at 6:26pm 1 Comment

Just got my frame back from powder coating so thought I would post photos of the front and rear frame markings.…

Continue

Lining up the drive shaft

Posted by Dominic Salemi on August 12, 2019 at 5:47pm 2 Comments

Can anyone shed some light on how to position the complete drive shaft in the correct position? I want to make sure my drive shaft is installed properly.

Thanks

Dominic

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service