Cleaning and refurbishing my 6 button window switch

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Still not working, the back driver side window will go up but not down with the master switch, It will with its own rear button.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement switch just for the door windows, not the vent windows ?

Joe, I have the innards and back shell of the switch. 

email me;  russ85747@hotmail.com

Joe D

Have you taken the switch apart
It is a simple design
You may just have to clean the brass contacts off if you get lucky
Worth a look inside the switch

Enjoy

Yes I did that, that's what I meant by refurbished, I think the rear window contact is burnt. I tried cleaning it with a very fine grit wet and dry sandpaper put it all back together and it would not go down

Joe D 

Did you check to see if you have power to the window switch that is not working 

could sometimes be a problem with broken wiring 

do you know the condition of the wiring that is in the door jam when you open the drivers door ( under the black rubber cross over )

wiring will be damaged by the opening and closing of the door over time 

many of my window electrical issues were  resolved in that location 

just a heads up 

Enjoy 

Thank you Tony I'm going to check my wires as well.

when i redid the switches for my 4-window, I had to take apart and replace 4 connectors. Lucky o'reilly's has some that are basically the same. I did end up doing both windows in the front, as both switches stopped working. For both sides it was a broken wire. lol Going strong now lol

Thank you, spoke with Russ last night about it and he's under the impression it's probably a wire as well. I'm going to look into that the next chance I get

its really easy to tell if its a wire. Just take the switch out, and then one hole at a time, jump the wire to power. You should be able to make every window, go down, then up. And if its not working then you know you got a bad wire. 

Thank you Chris, I will try that

NO problem, When you have the door aprty might as well drown the window motor in wd40 to free up that spring. Run it a few times, then drown it in silicone lube. Also hit the window track and the felt runners. Just use a HUDGE GLOB of lube. After you get it moving real good and work that lube into the windows, you can whipe off the extra. Doing this might get you anther 5 years from your window motor lol 

Window channel cams and guides usually have hardened grease that require more than a liberal spraying with WD40 or lubricant.  You will need to aggressively get in their and remove the dried grease and then liberally apply with lubricant.   To clean I use a stiff brush and/or 0000 steel wool using WD40 to work the grease out.  I like white lithium grease in the channel cams and guides after it has been cleaned. Below is a copy of the  my interior project where I covered cleaning the rear qtr cams and guides which also has the same issues: 

To note a couple of pictures.... below are the sash cam channel and rear guide with the old caked in grease and a picture below of the channels cleaned and coated with white lithium grease:

IMG_6688

IMG_6690

Below are the tools of the trade including the old standbys WD 40 and 0000 Steel Wool, spray and cup white lithium grease, and Rustoleum Leak Seal Rubber Spray Coating which I used to seal the rear qtr inspection pans and bolt heads:

IMG_6692

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

question on oil pump priming and pressurets

Started by Tim Bobeck in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

hi everyone , I have a 63 coupe  that I have rebuilt the 390 engine. Long story short, after getting it all together and in the car, I started to prime to oil pump with a drill and socket, and I…Continue

My new project ( upper control arm bushing )

Started by Joe DiIaconi in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Joe DiIaconi 3 hours ago. 3 Replies

Has anyone found a good kit to replace all of the bushings including ball joints,  tie rod inner and outer, upper and lower control arm bushings, center link. I replace mine a couple years ago, but…Continue

My new project ( upper control arm bushing )

Started by Joe DiIaconi in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 9 hours ago. 1 Reply

Has anyone found a good kit to replace all of the bushings including ball joints,  tie rod inner and outer, upper and lower control arm bushings, center link. I replace mine a couple years ago, but…Continue

Radiator coolant

Started by Warwick smith in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 11 hours ago. 6 Replies

hican anyone tell me what is the common type and quantity of radiator coolant for my 1963 with a 390ci I have a standard copper radiator Continue

Blog Posts

where do I find a new and better motor?

Posted by john kilbourne on May 24, 2018 at 11:43am 11 Comments

My '64 convert is getting better, but the engine remains questionable. Starts and runs well enough, powerful, but I think I hear a main bearing banging, the balance is not great and I'd like to upgrade to fuel injection if I can.

Are there dependable remans available of good quality? Are new crate engines available? Will more advanced engines from newer years fit?

Also, please, the diff ratio is quite high, lots of RPMs compared to today's cars. Are there diffs with lower…

Continue

1963 Cadillac DeVille

Posted by Sven on May 21, 2018 at 8:00am 0 Comments

Good morning community, I have this beautiful 1963 4 door for sale, asking cad$9999, that's about us$7750. I would bring it down south over the border to North Dakota or Minnesota.

If anyone is interested, feel free to ask questions.

Otherwise what are the best websites to sell classic cars in the states?

Please view this ad:

63 cadillac deville ,…

Continue

camshaft

Posted by Dave Fundaburg on May 20, 2018 at 11:49am 1 Comment

Has anyone used the performance camshafts offered by Kanter or Isky if so how do you like the upgrade in general and how is the idle quality and vacuum for power accessories any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Door jamb switchs

Posted by Anthony Boles on May 17, 2018 at 9:50am 9 Comments

I'm having problems with the door jamb switches,the interior lights will sometimes work or the interior lights will just stay on and run the battery down ,there's three black wires spliced together and one simgle black and white wire,what could be the problem. 

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service