Hi everbody, I've just uploaded a video in YouTube. It would be nice, if "somebody" takes a look and an ear to the sound. Here's the text: ""coldstart" by 20 degrees celsius outside temperature. rocker arms and shafts are new. the valve tips have only appr. 1 mm material left. the lifters and pushrods are "old", but they are looking good. oil and filter are changed. the rods and the lifters are spinning - I think, that this is normal. if the engine gets warmer, the noise is getting less. even after appr. 3 minutes the oil appears on the top of the rocker arm and goes down to the end to prime the valve tip. less than one: no oil. the oil indicator in the cockpit shows pressure quickly and any time. oil: 20 W 50. any suggestions ? oil pump? valves (guides) ? hydraulic lifters ? pushrods ? a rod knock ? or maybe everything....if you like, you can also e-mail me: sherrick@gmx.de. many thanks, Robert out of Germany."

Thank you friends !valvetrain noise cadillac 1964 429 cui

Views: 576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You need to evaluate the sound when the engine is to operating temp and slightly after that ( my 64 429 )
I have had a lifter noise at times when starting the car after it sitting for a long period of time but it always went away after warming up the oil
Sometimes one lifter can be very loud but--- always goes away when engine warms at idle
The manual calls for a 10w 30 weight oil-- so use that weight oil
50 weight is to thick to flow through the engines oil passages as it should when engine is hot so could be adding to your problem reducing lubrication

If using a conventional oil off the shelf today you may need to be adding a Zinc additive off the shelf to protect the flat tappet cam lifters from wearing prematurely
I use Castrol GTX coventional oil with a Rislone zinc additive to protect the cam and lifters after using Syn oils for years that are much more expensive ( and do leak oil more from gasket surfaces and the rear crankshaft seal than a conventional oil )
Using a 15,000 mile syn oil when i put 1,000 miles a year on my 64 started not to make sence ( all oils must be changed at a one year interval no matter how many miles on it due to acid formation )
I have cut my oil loss at the crankshaft rear seal by 2/3 ( pan under the car ) by going back to a conventional oil that the manual calls for in our year cars
There were No Syn oils made when our cars were new

It might just be me - but i think the engine performs slightly better on the conventinal oil than the syn's ( just going by a seat of the pants feel )

There has been --a major issue with the rocker arms being --installed backwards-- on many -- newly rebuilt engines so be very sure they are installed correctly

Seafoam Rislone or Marvelous Mystery oil are products to add to your oil to reduce valve train lifter noise

The lifters are little oil pumps that can get dirt in them that can cause valve train noise to happen
So change the oil to a 10 -30 and be sure your Zinc level is correct as we have a flat tappet cams in our year cars
Less zinc is required in all the newer engines with roller type cam shafts so all oils have reduced the zinc in oil for that reason and are not good for our cars unless zinc is added to the shelf bought oils available today

If the above does not solve the noise issue the valve train may have to be examined for possible replacement of parts and cam wear

Enjoy

Hi Tony, thanks for your respond. So I need 10-30 and a zinc additive, such as from Edelbrock? In Germany there is no great selection of this stuff.

One mm material left of the valve stem - over the valve locks. This is what I mean. The rocker arms are new - without any wear. I've checked the push rods the way you've mentioned. And they are not bent.

Disregard my last note about replacing the rocker arms
I see you replaced the rocker arms and they SB new now

If the tops of the valve stems are smooth they SB fine

Enjoy

In the USA i get my oil ( Castrol GTX 10w-30 ) at an auto parts store or my local department store like Walmart
The Zinc additive i use is called --ZDDP and made by Rislone a lubrication products company around for 100 years
Look for the stuff on line and have it delivered if possible

Getting the right oil for our cars requires a little special attention --due to our flat tappet cams to prevent internal engine damage

I do not know if Edelbrock is a source of the correct oil

Castrol GTX 10w-30 is not available in Germany. I cannot order the Rislone ZDDP: they only ship to the States. I've found a classic oil HD SAE 30 from "Wagner" - made in Germany. Tomorrow, I will give them a call...they also have additives with ceramic. What do you think about SAE 40 ? I think about the usual leaking. It would be more with a thinner oil - I think. Thanks Tony

Hey Robert, do you get Penrite Oils in Germany?

If so, they make a terrific oil. With modern technology these days, I firmly believe, you can run a different grade of oil with no issues.

Oils is the 60's when these thing were new, have been improved on out of sight.

OK, i had a look and it would seem you can buy Penrite in the land of the Volkswagen.

I use a HPR 30   20W-60 full zinc oil.

I'm sure it would go well in your car, it sure does in mine.

Kevin, summers in Australia is a lot warmer than summers in Germany. SAE 60 is rather high. I see the point using that oil in 45C summers but not 25-30C.

Good point boss.... :-)

I must admit, i hadn't even considered the difference in temp. I was wrrrr.... I was wrrrrr..... I was wrrrrro...... ah stuff it, maybe I wasn't entirely correct. LOL.

Well Kevin, my only concern is that the oil in your car will be in the cylinder head and not the oil sump as you car is up side down. Cant be good for any car to be on its head...

Flat earth

LoL.

Kevin, I spoke to the technical guru at Penrite re my 1964 Caddy and he recommended their RACING 10 oil, 10W-40 PAO ESTER SYNTHETIC. It ain't cheap, but neither is an engine rebuild. I'm in Melbourne, where are you? By the way, I use their HPR 30 in my 1974 Corvettes. John Smith aka "aussiejohn"

Hey John,

Mate, i'm an hour west of Brisbane. (Pretty hot climate out here)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Trunk Pull-down

Started by Brian and Dorothy Lewis in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

Hi gang.  While reviewing the extensive photo archives on this site, I came across an excellent series of photos documenting a trunk pull-down assembly posted by Jason Edge.  I really didn't even…Continue

Vapor Lock and how to fix it?

Started by Richard McBurney in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 6 hours ago. 8 Replies

I have a 64 Deville Convertible, keep running into the same problem - vapor lock on hot days. So far I have rebuilt the carburetor , new gas tank , but when it sits in traffic on a hot day it will…Continue

Tags: #vaporlock

Help! I need a 1964 Eldorado front left fender.

Started by Jorge M in Wanted to Buy. Last reply by Jason Edge 8 hours ago. 1 Reply

Help looking for a 1964 Eldorado front fender for a convertible.Thank you please contact djjmoreno84@gmail.comContinue

Help! I need a 64 Eldorado front left fender.

Started by Jorge M in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jorge M yesterday. 1 Reply

Hello,Some idiot just backed in to my beautiful 64 convertible Eldorado and I’m looking for a new front fender. Any leads would be appreciated.Thank you,Jorge M.Continue

Blog Posts

Frame Markings

Posted by Gene McIlroy on August 12, 2019 at 6:26pm 1 Comment

Just got my frame back from powder coating so thought I would post photos of the front and rear frame markings.…

Continue

Lining up the drive shaft

Posted by Dominic Salemi on August 12, 2019 at 5:47pm 2 Comments

Can anyone shed some light on how to position the complete drive shaft in the correct position? I want to make sure my drive shaft is installed properly.

Thanks

Dominic

Upper A Arm Rubber Bumpers

Posted by Gene McIlroy on August 12, 2019 at 1:30pm 3 Comments

I have found a very good replacement part for the Upper A Arm Bumpers.  The top part is identical to the originals the bottom can be used as is or after a few minutes with a belt sander can be ground to the V shape as the originals were.  The replacement bumpers are for a 2001 to 2005 S10 Sanoma or Blazer.  Part number is on the box in the photos.  First photo is the box next to the box is the S10 part and an original.  Next photo shows my sanded down part next to an original.…

Continue

Roof motor

Posted by Dermot Robinson on August 11, 2019 at 8:44am 2 Comments

Replacing my convertible roof motor.

Has anyone any experience or advice on replacing the roof motor on a 1964 Cadillac Deville .

Please..

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service