What are the Mods You Do Want to Make to your 63/64 Cadillac? Mods you will not consider?

OK, So the other thread addressing  Mods you Have Made that you were Happy or Unhappy was popular, so  I will start one where we list Mods you want to make on your 63/64 Cadillac but have never gotten around to it?
I will also add a rule, this needs to be a true change to the car. I am not asking about maintenance or restoration/replacement of existing items! Those will be deleted. Let's stick to mods. They can be factory equipment options or wild modifications. 

I will go first:

For my 64 Coupe de Ville which I am trying to keep a stock look:

Mods/Options  I would like to make:
- factory cruise control - especially when wife retires and can do more cross country cruising

- twilight sentinel - the cherry red 64 SDV I had way back had this feature and loved it.

- factory bucket seats - especially if I find a nice set in Sandalwood or just very nice overall

- power trunk - I've had a few parts cars where it worked great and it's a nice feature and discussion point

- rear window defogger - not a really functional item for me but one of the easier items to install and another discussion topic.

- I would love to find the original Litter Box and/or Tissue valet offered for these cars. 

Mods/Options I have no desire to add:
- vacuum power locks - I have a hard enough time getting the hoses out of parts cars, I don't want to put them in, and is very involved.

- non-stock wheels/rims, especially wire wheels. (I think a nice set of the original hubcaps are gorgeous)

- wide white walls - even on a resto-mod, or custom, I think they look wrong on our cars.

- disc brakes - Never had any braking issues and pretty flat where I live and have had zero issue with brake fade.

- non stock lighting, inside and out - on a restomod or custom car I would go crazy with LED's, wiring, sound sytsems, etc., but for more original lighting IS part of the original look on these cars. Most dim light issues are due to corroded inner reflective surfaces on the various lamp fixtures. 

- non stock sound system that means cutting up the car - You can get blue tooth boom boxes that you can just throw in the back seat that will blow you out of the car, and you can take your tunes with you. The stock AM/FM  and speakers is OK, It is not the Bose system in my Escalade but I sort of like using the original equipment to still be able to listen to the radio when I want to. 

- Lowering a car.  Having a car 3" off the ground and scraping speed bumps did nothing for me when I was 18 or now that I'm 55. I like the correct ride height.  

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I built my own headers because I was fed up with the poor sealing of the stock manifolds. I hate exhaust leaks! I took a lot of photos of the process if anyone is interested.

Please share the pictures. I have searched the site up and down.  I see threads talk about ditching the manifolds but never share the end result.

i am going to try the summit ones first. Since they dump in the middle and don’t have a place for the alternator I know they will need work..

I am going to try the Sanders after some research. I will take pictures if I can get them to work right. 

FlaHP, I'll start a new thread so we don't hi-jack this one because it could go on for a bit. I talked Sanderson out of a set of the 65 and later 429 headers un-welded. I used that as a starting point but all that was really useful were the collectors and flanges. I bought a bunch of tubing bends in various tight radii from SPD Exhaust. Before I did anything, I drew the headers up in CAD. I'm not sure how it is in a 63/64 but a 62 with the older block is very tight. I can share those drawing with you as well. I'll go log in to my other PC with the photos and drawings on it and start the new thread.

Awesome post. Just read it. Thanks for sharing. Knowing that after I get other issues I will later go LS I couldn’t go that fancy. I really just want to get her back on the road. 

In the one good attempt for someone on here to install the Sanders headers the passenger side header collector box was right  up against the oil pan touching it 

This cannot be good for transfer of heat from the headers to the oil pan as I see a serious issue with that 

( high heat will break down oils ability to lubricate ) 

The gentleman said he was going to heat the pipes and make a correction but not sure how that may have worked out due to lack of feed back 

The second issue is designing and installing a bracket for the alternator but someone on here has done that and shown how he did it and his design 

Not sure if it was the same person 

There have only been two or three attempts to install the Sanders headers for a 65 into a 64 as there was a major frame change made after 64 that is the problem with that 

When and if the problems get solved I would assume it is necessary to now be running dual exhausts to get the full value of the exhaust flows efficiency   

There is a definite issue with running dual exhaust pipes out to the rear bumper of our year cars due to the passenger side of the gas tank having little room on that side so the pipe hangs low 

The solution would be to exit the exhaust in front of the rear wheels or to install a  slightly smaller gas tank that is available 

The other issue is which mufflers to use depending on the level of exhaust noise you are willing to be dealing with 

I myself desire for my own Cadillac to be Quiet   
That is what I have learned  and can share about the subject to date 

Stay Safe and enjoy the time available if possible 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Locating radial tires for a stock 64 convert rim

Started by Tony and Ginny 429 in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 10 hours ago. 2 Replies

Did some looking around to see where i could find some new 265 75r 15  radial tires for the 64 convert The current radial I have on the car I was  very surprised to see the size has become a problem…Continue

Tags: stock, rim, 64, a, tires

vacuum canister

Started by Walt Timmerman in General Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge 12 hours ago. 2 Replies

what is the vacuum canister for that is behind the drivers front fender?After removing my fender I see its got a hole in the top but nothing is hooked to it and no line is laying there.Any help would…Continue

Where is the a/c evaporator box drain

Started by Tosh Dickenson in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 14 hours ago. 1 Reply

I can't spot the traditional evaporator box drain tube on my '64 Deville.  I don't like how the water runs down the body line.  Is there an integrated drain tube?  If not, has anybody added…Continue

front end pieces.

Started by Walt Timmerman in Wanted to Buy 14 hours ago. 0 Replies

looking for LH drivers side boomerag piece, middle piece for the grille, both braces on the back of the grille and the lower end of the bumper on the right side. My car was hit in the front end. Its…Continue

Blog Posts

Electrical

Posted by Anthony Boles on August 8, 2020 at 5:46pm 5 Comments

My 1964 Cadillac electrical system is running around 17 volt which is to high,the alternator, battery and the voltage regulator was replaced but the voltage is still to high, could it be the pig tail that plugs into the voltage regulator. 

63 Caddy Horn

Posted by Robert Alan Shannon on May 27, 2020 at 9:25am 10 Comments

Just noticed a 1963  Caddy trumpet horn on Ebay. No part # given but some of his other items are 1963 specific, just throwin this out there, I have no connection to this listing .

Wiring connection help.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 24, 2020 at 9:15pm 2 Comments

Can someone help me figure where these connections go? I have a 64 60 special if it matters.…

Continue

Wood grain finally done.

Posted by Jimmy Davis on May 20, 2020 at 4:57pm 3 Comments

After years of wanting to, I finally redid my wood dash paneling on my 64 60s. Not too hard to do either.…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2020   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service