Hello I’m new to the Cadillac world and have recently purchased a 1963 2 door coupe. The car was a project that wasn’t finished by last owner so I have slowly been getting it back together. The motor was rebuilt by previous owner with a hotter cam. I thought I had it tuned but tried to drive it and it severely lacked power. After checking everything I noticed the road tube was out of its hole on the intake. I tried putting it back and the grommet started cracking and falling apart. My question is do I need this? I read the 1406 installation posted on the site and the author stated he felt the 1406 ran better without PCV. What have you guys done?

Thank you

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ryan

These cars do not produce correct power if stock points are not set correctly that can only be done on a dwell meter exactly 

The dwell SB between 28-32 at 460 Rpm ( Rpm will change the dwell number ) 

I set mine in the middle @ 30 to allow for wear 

As point wear they retard the timing which makes the car produce less power and more engine cylinder heat both not good and SB checked or changed every 6,000 miles ( do not readjust old worn points - install new ) 

I only use the points and condenser combo made by Borg Warner for its simplicity to install and adjust 

Stock timing is 5 degrees at 460 RPM ( rpm changes the timing ) 

While on the timing light —rev the engine to watch and see  if the vacuum advance is working as it should or the vacuum advance ( the suction valve on the dist is working as it should be - to produce the correct engine power output— very important for power output ) - they can not hold a vacuum due to wear 

Change ignition wires if you do not know the last time it was done 

Clean  and lube the weights under the rotor in the dist cap ( grease with lubraplate white grease ) 

On the present high test fuel on the market I choose to run my timing on my 64 429 at 10 degrees ( same for the 390 engine ) although stock is 5 degrees  giving the car a bit more low end torque to move these heavy cars from a stop 

15 degrees i do think is to much timing and to much is actually working against the engines rotation

Need to get the dwell correct —-FIRST at the correct RPM — then get the timing correct at the correct RPM for  the engine to perform as intended 

Getting the ignition on spec will very often bring the engine back to life and performing as it should be 

One of the very best indications of how the engine is performing is to pull the plugs and — Read them— by looking at the color they are producing 

A strong running engine will have plugs that are —-a brown paper bag color 

Once  all tune up specs are correct the carb can be adjusted ( on the dwell meter reduced RPM meter ) and or the jetting changed to get the plugs the correct color 

I do have. 1406 Edelbrock carb on my own 64 429 that did require that I go richer by two settings on my jets and metering rods ( in the carb ) with the advice ot the Edelbrock techs for the current 92 octane that I now have available at my local gas pumps 

I am using my PVC  line hooked up to my 1406 as it keeps the engine internals clean as intended 

I always —did not use the PVC connected on my race car engines but our Cadillacs are not race car engines as some mistaken just because of the cu in size of the engines 

These engines are —TORQUE monsters —for  a gasoline engine and I have been told that Torque is an addictive quality—— in automotive performance and the reason I have kept my 64 convertible from the day it came off the showroom floor and joined our family 

These cars have more Style and performance than one SB allowed to have — LOL ! 

My own back ground is a Drag Race Super Stock class  champion record holder  Motorcycle street racer  and Classic Antigue Cadillac 64 convertible—- gear head —- !!

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Timing chain help

Started by Cody in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion 41 minutes ago. 0 Replies

I have the front of my engine taken apart to replace the timing chain and gears. According to the manual it says to remove the cam gear and chain together then the crank gear.I can’t for the life of…Continue

Chapter Member? Got a 63 or 64 Cadillac for Sale? Let's Run it in the Newsletter!

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 8 hours ago. 4 Replies

One of the new features of recent newsletters is a Member Classified Cars for Sale section.…Continue

vacuum canister

Started by Walt Timmerman in General Discussion. Last reply by Rob Shatsnider 13 hours ago. 15 Replies

what is the vacuum canister for that is behind the drivers front fender?After removing my fender I see its got a hole in the top but nothing is hooked to it and no line is laying there.Any help would…Continue

New Batch of Embroidered Iron-On 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Patches - $4 each

Started by Jason Edge in Chapter Discussion. Last reply by mark zimmerman 18 hours ago. 10 Replies

As noted in our August 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Newsletter:Around 6 years…Continue

Tags: Available, Patches, Chapter, Cadillac, 1963/64

Blog Posts

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Thank you Kurt re: VIN location

Posted by Robert Pellow on April 19, 2021 at 1:07pm 0 Comments

I just wanted to say a thank you to Kurt for steering me to the tech tips page on V.I.N. locations.  Excellent information.  Thanks a bundle.

Robert Pellow

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service