So I've reached a crossroad with my Cadillac. I brought it to my local mechanic to have everything looked at. Well....... there are some issues with the motor that need to be addressed and I am curious to know what your guys thoughts are. I want to be budget conscious but also not have to worry about anything else motor wise again. I have some options and I don't quite know what the best path to take is. 1. Rebuild the 429 2. go with a crate motor 3. LS swap. I am by no means an expert and don't quite know what is should do, any advice would be appreciated. 

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am having engine issues too. Mine was destroyed when I got my 64. If you do decide to go with a different engine, please post on here or classifieds. I need a block and may be interested. Tim

Brandon

My option ( you did ask  )  is to go with the LS series of engines only if your stock engine is  done ( beyond repair ) 

You can sell off your engine  and the trans  to recoup some dollars towards the LS engine swap to help that 

If not done —rebuild your year 429 as that SB less expensive to do but the quality of the rebuilders workmanship  is the issue at this point in time to me 

The  new parts  only— to rebuild  the 429  engine SB in the 3,000 dollar range 

You can get 650 HP with some  LS engines coming out of a salvage yard these days and you will need the trans also

You cannot have it both ways —as having a new reliable power plant that will be trouble free for the long haul   is expensive even if you do  all the work yourself 

I own my 64 convert for 57 years and the reason is the way the 429 performs behind the Turbo 400 trans ( the torque this combo produces for a gasoline engine ) in my covert and the cars amazing style 

There are a small number of guys on this site that have swapped to the LS engine and hope they might chime in if around 

My car is more stock than not and that is just the way I like it and enjoy what the car has to offer

A lot of high quality parts and engineering  went into the Cadillacs in these years 

Being out and about in these cars should be the goal as that has been  is an amazing experience— every year I have owned my covert right up until today 

These are very special rides for a special car savvy Classic Antique Cadillac community 

Enjoy 

Imagine doing a full EV-conversion.

These cars would be perfect. A good sturdy frame. Lots of space in engine compartment and trunk. You could easily fit enough batteries for a couple of hours drive. Maybe more.

Getting awesome acceleration. Cruising without any sound. Charging at home and not having to pay extortion rates at the gas station.

GM is supposed to start selling an EV-crate system this year. If it can be done in a Blazer it sure can be done in a -64 Cadillac.

Or this crate V8?

1964-1972 GM A-Body EV Conversion kit

1981 Chevrolet El Camino (El = Electric?)

Most likely a good working kit

Maybe these guys can build a DiY kit for a 1964?

Brandon, what are the issues with your 429? I’m in similar position in that I haven’t found a shop yet that is willing to work on mine. This will only get more challenging as time passes, and if it weren’t cost prohibitive, I love the idea of EV power, bc I’d drive it way more.

You can find out more about the newly released LS  replacement engines - 6.2 - that are just now available from  Chevrolet Performance .com if that is a consideration for your replacement engine 

You  will need the correct trans behind that engine 

They can be supercharged or turbo charged without modification to the replacement block  if desired to produce serious HP 

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

622 nss 63 tilt

Started by Kim K Kaiser in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Kim K Kaiser 6 hours ago. 5 Replies

Previously, i mentioned the  bu lights didnt work, and conversatiin went to nss.   Mine has the two jumped wire bypass so car will go in drive/start.Got the switch out and the outer tract plastic is…Continue

Timing chain help

Started by Cody in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 21 hours ago. 3 Replies

I have the front of my engine taken apart to replace the timing chain and gears. According to the manual it says to remove the cam gear and chain together then the crank gear.I can’t for the life of…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 22 hours ago. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Organizing For Sale?

Started by Anders in Suggestion Box. Last reply by Jason Edge yesterday. 1 Reply

Been looking on the For Sale forum. Not sure if possible or not, but it might be good if there would be sub-forums so cars go in one area and maybe spares could be sorted in a way as well. No idea…Continue

Blog Posts

New vehicle in the club

Posted by Patrick Westphal on June 17, 2021 at 4:00pm 1 Comment

I was successful in getting a vehicle from the New York contact I talked about at the last club meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture of the vehicle that is tied with this comment so if you see a random picture of a black convertible in a yard, that's me haha.  …

Continue

Torque converter grab when idling in Drive

Posted by Cliff Johnston on June 14, 2021 at 8:47pm 2 Comments

Hi Everyone, been quite a while since i have been on here.

I have had an issue with the idle on my 64 Coupe Deville ever since i have had it.

With the Idle set high enough that it is smooth, but still a nice idle, the RPM seems only slightly too high for the stall of the Torque Converter. And therefore it tends to sit there and grab and lunge a bit. So until now, i have been putting the car in Neutral at the lights to stop this happening.

I've had the car dyno tuned and…

Continue

Can you help? Driveshaft Question....

Posted by Chris on May 30, 2021 at 8:55am 1 Comment

Hello!

Newbie to the group here - we have already found tons of invaluable information on the board, so thanks! We are restoring a 1963 Series 62 Convertible. We are wondering if anyone knows of a source to buy the propellor yoke flange (that bolts to the pinion flange) for the driveshaft? One of our ears partially broke off. Not sure if we can buy just the yoke flange as an aftermarket part, or if it has to be rebuilt by a welder/fab guy? Maybe a salvage yard for a source? Again, any…

Continue

Thank you Kurt re: VIN location

Posted by Robert Pellow on April 19, 2021 at 1:07pm 0 Comments

I just wanted to say a thank you to Kurt for steering me to the tech tips page on V.I.N. locations.  Excellent information.  Thanks a bundle.

Robert Pellow

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service