Hello, and thanks for adding to group!

I am restoring 1964 429 engine which I bought as dismantled. It is said to be smoking in driving and has been stored as parts for a year. It is most probably 65500 miles driven. Car was not driven for10 years.

The only damaged part found so far is the top of exhaust valve of cylinder #5. The top has been worn so much that the rocker has been pressing valve locks as well. Respective rocker is worn as well, much more than others. And exhaust rocker #6 is worn as well, and exhaust #8.
Then questions:
1. What damage could this cause? I can think that valve lift gets a bit smaller than it should, but so what?
2. Is that common for Cadillac 429 exhaust valves to worn from the top, especially cylinders #5 and #6? Maybe there is less oil.

This is my first V8 engine project. I have Shop manual. I plan to replace piston rings, all gaskets, nylon timing gear, some worn exhaust valves and rockers, and valve stem o-rings. Bearings, pistons and shafts are in good condition. 

Big thanks in advance!

Views: 1222

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am using roll pins as a dowel. 

i need these guide pins as well, can you give details on where you found them? What size they were. It looks to me like they are .010" under a 1/2"

Hi Rick

I used 1/2 inch roll pins which is pressed when pushing to hole. They sit very tight.

I have not yet completed engine rebuild but I don`t see any reason why it would not work.

this is what i was looking at also. i found a local hardware store that has them. crossing my fingers. thank you

Bits and pieces are finding their places slowly. Big thanks to Jason for support. 
i am getting concerned if my 1000 lbs engine stand will survive the build up. Compressor and water pump installed it is getting a bit wobbly. Still balancer, fuel pump, exhaust manifold, oil etc to add.

Looks great Matti. I know what you mean about the wobbly engine stand. You can put a 2X4 or 4X4 between the engine and the stand for more support. It will keep the stand from flexing every time it is moved.

Kurt 

Very nice tip and illustration to be solving his problem 

Enjoy 

It is my first time installing engine to car and I plan as follows:

- transmission and engine installed together

- front of the car raised with stands 6-8 inches on garage floor

- engine without compressor, fan, intake manifold

- strong engine hoist with leveller to enable tilting of the package

- hoist chain fixed to intake manifold bolts, 2 front, 2 rear
- radiator removed, protection for stuff under the hood, hood removed

- new motor mounts front and rear

Any other points to take into account?

probably goes without saying, but as I am the king of F U;s.  make sure when you move he engine while on the hoist you dont push too hard on the top end or push from bottom to fast...in my endeavor last year, when pulling he old one out, wo trans, the bottom of the lift slipped out from under the engine while it was hanging and the whole dame thing fell over, dropping engine into the bay.  had to get a tractor to come pull the dame thing out,  didnt damage anything in the bay, but did scrap a fender,,,

Thanks Ken

I am expecting something similar during my project.

I refurbished the original carburator with Hygrade rebulld kit. Parts were in good condition, not much wear.

I want to keep original choke so I do not block exhaust gas channel in intake manifold. But I would like to block the openings in insulator plate. There is gas channel already in manifold so there should not be any need to let gases to get close to carb itself and to make it too hot. Any ideas how to block those gas channels in insulation plate? JBWeld? Or is it bad idea?

Bolts in the holes with JB weld  slow dry will do the job to for long haul 

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Wheel alignment data

Started by Sammy in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Ray Schick 1 hour ago. 2 Replies

Just ordered new tires for my 63. As the front wheels have reasonable wear I want to align them or at least have them aligned, but not sure if the alignment data in our shop manual are still the…Continue

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 1 hour ago. 1 Reply

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

1964 Cadillac neutral safety switch

Started by DAN SPURR in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Russ Austin 13 hours ago. 1 Reply

I'm looking for a 1964 neutral safety switch part # GM1993653. Any one have one for sale or what can I use? Anyone have any solutions?ThanksDanContinue

Weather stripping vendors

Started by Terry Lange in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Robert Alan Shannon 13 hours ago. 1 Reply

I am getting ready to order roof rail weather stripping and rear door window leading edge seals for my '63 Series 62 6 window sedan model 6229.  I've been on the websites for Rubber The Right Way,…Continue

Blog Posts

Trunk Open and Lock Mechanism is in Closed Position

Posted by Chris Anderson on September 13, 2022 at 7:14pm 7 Comments

While working on my trunk lock on 64 Cadillac, I mistakenly closed the locking mechanism while the trunk was open.  Is there an easy way to manually release the lock back to the open position?

Thanks.

Fuel Pump Failure

Posted by Jon Shields on August 6, 2022 at 6:48am 4 Comments

Hello,

I'm located in Melbourne, Australia and my 64 sedan de ville is stuck in the garage due to failed mechanical fuel pump. The first after market mechanical fuel pump lasted a few years before it failed & left me stranded 5 hours from home. A hire car and tow got us home. On inspection, I noticed a valve not seated within the housing. I was optimistic, pressed it into place and assumed the pump was good to go. But alas, no. From what I can now determine, the diaphragm pushrod…

Continue

Renovation project 1964 Cadillac Deville convertible

Posted by Balachne on May 31, 2022 at 7:00am 3 Comments

Renovation project 1964 Cadillac Deville convertible

Introduction

To achieve an excellent result of vehicle restoration, it is essential to  manage this task as one manages an industrial project.

To do this we will use a certain formalism of project management and therefore start by defining the need. It is from this that we will deduce the scope, then the time of execution of the…

Continue

I was working on my HVAC system this winter and during the process of taking the dash pad off these two parts fell out. Does anyone know what they are and where they go?

Posted by Patrick Westphal on April 12, 2022 at 1:35pm 1 Comment

I was working on my HVAC system this winter and during the process of taking the dash pad off these two parts fell out. Does anyone know what they are and where they go?

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2022   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service