Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of rebuilding the 390. It's going slow mostly because the previous owner didn't do a good job of labeling bolts, nuts, etc. when they disassembled the engine, not to mention the number of fasteners that are missing!

Question: Does my engine have an oil slinger or a windage tray? I looked at Jason Edge's engine rebuild photos and it appears that the answer is no for both but I don't want to button things up until I know for sure.

Thanks!

Chris

A photo of my buddy Bruce helping with the build.

Views: 133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never heard of any of them, but English is not my native language. So had to search for it and this is what showed up:

Windage tray

Oil slinger

Apologies Anders. They are common terms for Buicks and Chevys but maybe not Cadillacs.

I didn't have an oil slinger or windage tray in my engine parts lot so I was wondering if the previous owner misplaced them or if the engine doesn't use them. It appears that the engine doesn't use them but I would like confirmation before proceeding with my build.

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris, i reckon it would be a NO mate. My 429 (64) never had one when I rebuilt that.

Windage Trays are more suited to the high performance stuff... drag cars, roundy roundy's, that sort of thing.

As far as a slinger goes, i'm buggered if I can remember, but I don't seem to be able to recall seeing one on ours. Jason or Russ would be able to say for sure.

Thanks Kevin,

That's my hunch as well but Caddy's are new to me so the last thing I want to do is pooch my rebuild!

Oil slingers are usually used on engines with no oil pump aren't they?

No. My two Buicks had oil slingers on them and they both had the same oil pump as the 390.

Slingers can be different things.

Some engines have a largish tin washer arrangement that slips over the keyway on the crack to stop the seal being engulfed with oil from splash. More like a splash guard I guess.

Some engines, rather than having real main seal, have a grooved arrangement on the rear main assembly that sort of drives the oil back into the engine. (bit hard to explain really)

I remember, i think, a 1972 Roller has an oil slinger rather than a rear main seal.

Everything these days would run a seal though.  

Yes, it's the largish tin washer that I'm referring to. As you said, it keeps oil away from the timing cover seal.

So it sounds like the 390 does not have an oil slinger or windage tray, correct?

Ahhhhhh I was thinking a slinger like the crankshaft of a lawnmower engine. Slings the oil around. Yes I now remember seeing them behind seals in other environments. 

You have great memory Kevin. As I owned a 1972 Rolls-Royce (sold last year) and still have the shop manual in my bookshelf I of course had to look it up. (Never ever parts with my shop manuals)

The English call it a Flinger and it does seem to mean "device, mounted on a rotating shaft, for throwing lubricant onto a bearing or keeping grit out of a bearing by centrifugal force".

I didn't have to take my RR engine apart so not sure how it did look inside, but reading the manual is enlightening. Look on the words Sludge Trap.

Waaaay back when I was a mechanic, I specialized in Rolls, Jags, Mercs, Fiat... all the crap really.

I had a customer who went to Rolls in England while on holiday and bought a rear main seal for me to fit. We pulled the gearbox, because you can gain access by going up the other way..... I knew a girl like that once. :-)

Anyway, we pulled it down and it had a slinger/flinger and the seal was for the next model. So, we took the alloy housing it had, bogged/bondo'd it up and sent it down the foundry and had a piece cast for it and fitted the genuine seal to an alloy housing that I engraved my initials in.

I was sure it was a 72 roller, but the more I thought about it this morning, the more it came back to me. So did those friggin stooopid ride levelling dodats they had in the back.... weren't they a pain in the arse to rebuild.

The 64 has a tray in the bottom of the oil pan to keep oil from climbing up onto the crank on hard acceleration.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Wanted: retaining clips for dash pad legs

Started by Mark Geertsma in Wanted to Buy. Last reply by Russ Austin 6 hours ago. 1 Reply

Looking for the retaining clips (L+R) that the "legs" of the dashpad snap into. Mine are missing. Continue

1964 429 & Trans For Sale

Started by Russ in For Sale 14 hours ago. 0 Replies

Anyone in need of a 429 & trans? Was running when pulled from car but had low compression on a few cylinders if memory serves me right. Engine/trans are in Phoenix. Russ, 562.858.6926Continue

Center bearing - replacement.

Started by Anders in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by Norman Silverman 17 hours ago. 22 Replies

Had some sound from the propeller shaft and as the rear wheel bearings just been replaced I thought it would be the center bearing. Removed the propeller shaft and checked the center bearing (as per…Continue

1964 coupe de ville trunk v emblem

Started by ANGELO MARTINEZ in Restoration Discussion. Last reply by James jacques yesterday. 1 Reply

hello I am looking for the v emblem on a 1964 coupe de ville trunk  v emblemthank youContinue

Blog Posts

64 Recirc/Fresh Air Door Actuator replaced; FROM THE INSIDE.

Posted by Norman Silverman on February 4, 2019 at 11:21pm 8 Comments

I am happy to report that I have successfully replaced the Fresh Air/Recirc door actuator that is located on the blower box-and have done so without having to remove the blower box. I did it by taking out the glove box and attacking it from the back.  It took several days, LOTS of patience and some band-aids, but it is done. THE most difficult part -BY FAR- is to remove and then replace the screw that sits on the actuator arm, connecting it to the fresh…

Continue

Flashers

Posted by Mike Petrey on January 13, 2019 at 12:25pm 7 Comments

Where do the flashers go in my 64 Deville Convert.  I'm thinking that's why both turn signals stopped working.

Source for Motor mounts and Trans mounts 1964 SDV

Posted by Norman Silverman on January 9, 2019 at 4:23pm 4 Comments

Hi.

Where is the best place to purchase good quality motor mounts/trans mounts for my 1964 SDV? I see that Rock Auto has them for $8 and change, and others for $24 and change. Big difference. Is there a better place to buy them from?

Thanks

Norm

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service