Hi gang;

1963, 390V8

I'm looking to clean up a few oil leaks around the Motor Oil pan.  I'll be removing the exhaust & exhaust manifolds and replacing with basic headers and new dual exhaust..  While doing that I want to drop the oil pan to fix those oil leaks.  Question is it possible to drop the pan without lifting the motor?  It looks like there is enough clearance, but I figured I'd ask anyone with experience?

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes. You can remove the oil pan without lifting the engine. I removed mine several years ago and if I remember correctly I needed to rotate the crankshaft so that the front counterweight was up and out of the way for more clearance to slide the oil pan off. Other than that, it was as written in the shop manual.

Thanks Kurt,  Guess I should look for a shop manual... :)

Yep, the shop manual is a must-have if you work on these cars. There are even soft copies available now which are nice because you can print out the section you need and have it on-hand while you're working on the car and not worry about smudging up the manual. Here is the steps for oil pan removal.

I'm no stranger to getting my fingers dirty.  Haven't done much in recent years, but now have more time and a 4 post lift to assist... :)  I just repaired the biggest leak (tranny cover and feed tubes.)  But I think this project is moving outside for the winter.  Next up.. 85 BMW 635csiA with a radiator replacement and a gas leak at the tank inlet.  2nd is an electrical problem on the Jag XJ-S convertible top.  So you can see I'm pretty versatile on car mechanics.  I'm thinking job 1 is another 6 pack, job 2 at least a couple cases and job 3 will take a life time and several bottles of good Bourbon and Cigars... lol  Oh and thank you for the instruction scan.

Bob 

We love good mechanical advice of all kinds on this site and as you can see we produce results regarding the questions asked to help 

Enjoy 

I have a clean original for $35 + shipping if you are interested.

ozzie90249@yahoo.com

A service manual for sale ?

Enjoy

Yes, shop manual

Ozzie, Yes I'm interested.

Bob 

The Sanders headers are not a plug and play job as there are issues with the clearances of the oil pan and the header collector boxes —and you have to make a bracket for the alternator yourself 

Sanders are the only headers I know of made for our cars or do you have another option ?

There are threads  in the library about the Sanders headers installation on the top right of the home page ———Search 

You will find a problem with duals out the back due to the gas tank size  on the passengers side at the rear but it can be done 

You  might want  consider exiting the pipes before the rear tires as a option unless it’s a look you are after 

CHEERS and a bit of a wonder how you get all that done  —-LOL !! 

Enjoy 

I've been seeking Header options, I know some custom builders but would rather find a fit.  Alternator bracket I can design something. (engineering brain deficiency could be a problem, lol) Sought through E-Bay and other sites for options, yes limited.  It looks like the collector needs to be straight down and not angled (or maybe I had too many beers when i looked)  I was looking at the gas tank and existing exhaust location up and over the axle in front on the g.t., thought there was clearance for a pipe to exit behind the rear tires with the pipe under the axle, otherwise I don't have a problem existing in front of the rear tires, that was my original idea.  But I was thinking too loud for anyone in back seat especially with only a set of glass packs muffling the dual pipes, one exiting each side.  I will let you all know when i geterdone with pics.

This community really does need a good set of headers available for our year cars as the stock exhaust manifolds in good condition are starting to get harder to find and will not get any easier as the years pass 

Having a drag racing background I do enjoy the efficiency that a good set of headers and exhaust system bring to the engines performance and they look great when you pop the hood 

Keep us posted on your project 

Enjoy 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

CLC Chapters VP Bob Crimmins & CLC SW Regions VP, Self-Starter Art Director Tim Coy Visit

Started by Jason Edge in Chapter Discussion 11 hours ago. 0 Replies

The National Cadillac LaSalle Club had their Winter Board Member this Past Saturday, Feb 27, via zoom and as an elected board member I always attend ... usually in person, but because of COVID we…Continue

brake adjuster slots

Started by Doug Scarrow in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 1 Reply

Has anyone drilled the backing plates and made the slots that allow brake adjustments without removing the wheel?  I have always hated the slots in the drums.Continue

New Batch of Embroidered Iron-On 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Patches - $4 each

Started by Jason Edge in Chapter Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge on Tuesday. 2 Replies

As noted in our August 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Newsletter:Around 6 years…Continue

Tags: Available, Patches, Chapter, Cadillac, 1963/64

Current 1963/64 Cadillac Listings on eBay

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge on Tuesday. 0 Replies

To see all 1963/64 Cadillacs Listed on eBay in the USA…Continue

Tags: ebay

Blog Posts

Need center support for convertible top

Posted by John Rueff on February 17, 2021 at 6:15pm 0 Comments

For my 1964 Cadillac Deville

Help on Removal of rear seatback on 64 convertible

Posted by Nile Bolen on January 8, 2021 at 11:44am 7 Comments

I'm trying to remove the rear seatback on my 1964 deville conv.  The only help on this site that I can find is the following:

The seatback, its bright stainless trim, and the speaker grille are removed as an assembly.  The seat back hangs on two hooks near the top, and is retained to the body by two bolts and washers near the floor, one on the right side, one on the left.Once these fasteners are removed, lift the seat back upward and free it from the hooks

I've removed…

Continue

Bumper lower bucket

Posted by Ray Schick on January 1, 2021 at 4:33pm 3 Comments

1964 Convertible Seats.

Posted by michael moorman on November 30, 2020 at 5:29pm 1 Comment

Are the front and rear seat frames the same for 63/64 Coupes and Convertibles because Original parts group  makes reproduction seat covers for 1963 only and and i prefer the 1963 seat pattern so with that being said does anyone have information regarding this thanks.

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service