Are the front  brake drums the same as the rear ones? I had my garage install new drums on the car and now at 25-35 mph the car shakes like the  front wheels are going to fall off. Car has new brakes all around  and car was fine .Went back and had the new drums installed on rear and car was fine and then went back to get the front ones installed and thats when started, The steering wheels shakes and feels like the front tires are going to come off. the hubs are flat on drum and it is not hitting anything they spin free.Thanks

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Front and rear drums are the same. Aftermarket new drums from China are known to be crap... vibration issues, and do not have alignment tabs or recessed weights like original. Below is my post in the For Sale forum for drums. I had 10 turned and down to 2 right now but putting 2 more in to be turned Monday. If want turned originals email me at jasonedge@nc.rr.com.

Here is the ad:

Turned 1960-65 (& later) Rear Wheel Drums - $75 each <-- Click for More Pictures

The aftermarket drums are not cast correctly and will not mount up correctly and have seen a spike demand for VG original drums. I have cleaned, painted, & turned 10 of my best rear drums. These are original drums pulled from 1963/64 Cadillacs and have the correct recessed weights and 3 alignment tabs that allow the stock wheel (rim) to mount up to them.

These are the same drums used on the front, minus the front hubs. I also sell the drums unturned for $55 each. MPB lists these as fitting all 1960-65 Exc CC, 66-69 CC (with spacers), 67-69 Exc Eldo, 70-74 except Eldo.

Price is $75 each. Email me at jasonedge@nc.rr.com

Thanks again for your help and output. I should know better than trying to use China made junk in a Vintage Cadillac.Driving home at 25 mph with the steering wheel shaking and thinking the front wheels are going to fall is not fun at all. I will start with trying to find someone who sells raybestos brakes shoes  and try and turn my old drums. Thank you for all your help.........Mark

Mark

I had —Exactly  —the very same experience you are having ——after the very first time I had my front brakes replaced by a shop  as I have done my own brakes on all my cars my entire life except this time as I had the entire car gone over in 2006 in Florida before  my retirement 

The experience is —extremely unnerving and feels like the front of the car —-is  violently about to fall off —and cannot imagine how this could be happening for any reason ( hard to believe ) 

It took me 6 months to figure out that it was the brake shoe friction material that was the problem and that was —-the last thing I thought as they were just replaced and repaired adding to the problem of trouble shooting  and correcting the problem 

Some brake shoe linings cannot handle the heat these  very large 12 inch drums produce which are very large for any car 

You should find your shoe linings to have a  smooth shinny polished  appearance and even cracked in places caused by heat   ( called brake glazing ) that prevents the lining from grabbing the drum  as they should be 

My solution was to replace my new brake shoes with Raybestos brake shoes that do have a superior friction material and are cut  to the drums shape by Raybestos the same way the local auto store machine shops did in there back room machine shops back in the day when our cars were new ( no one else does that today ) 

Only used this brand of brake parts for over 50 years 
If you find that your brake drums are part of your issue do go with replacement front brake drums from Jason as any new replacement drums are the newer free floating type drum that requires a good deal of extra work having to remove the front hub from the front brake drum assembly and replacing all the lug nut with longer ones  there as well ( a lot more work ) but they do work well once done 

All 4 brake drums use the same brake shoes 

In my quest to find my problem I did new replacement front drums  from Auto Zone but that was some time in 2006 after getting the car back from the shop that gave me back my car with the condition you are explaining ( crazy shit ! ) and they worked great after the above extra work I explained I did above 
Replacing  the drums and bearings  was not the issue but the brake shoe material —was it 

I have posted this a number of times over the years and the info is in this sites library —Search 

When you get the brakes right on our Cadillacs  they will stop on a dime and  with no need to be replacing them with front discs and my Radial tire help improve that some  ( never any brake fade or stoping issues in 56 years )

Replacing your brake linings and you front drums if needed will solve you current issue but basically redoing the brake job just done—- which is a  major PITA 

Raybestos does make the newer ( free floating ) drums for our Cadillacs if that is the direction you may choose  or need to go 

The problem with the bad new replacement drums is the location of there balance weights that  prevents the tire rim from sitting flush on the brake drum when installing the tire rim from my understanding 

That is the scoop ! 
Sorry that the news is not better than it is in this case 

Enjoy 

Enjoy 

Thanks for your input on this. I had the bad shaking of the steering wheel has soon as  they put those ac delco china drums on .The day before we put 2 more on the rear of the car and drove the car for 50 miles with no problems. When i first got the back with napa brake shoes all around and  the original drums not turned the car stopped good then i put some miles on it and the front brakes started to shake when they would get hot. So i thought by getting new drums on the front would fix that problem instead of turning  the old ones, Well i guess in didnt think it would get worse.Well i will be looking at where to find some raybestos front brake shoes and try to get my old drums turned.Thanks again  

Try Rock auto for the shoes 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Forum

Wire Splicing Basics - Hemmings Article & Recommenditon with Video

Started by Jason Edge in General Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 8 hours ago. 13 Replies

I have to say that Hemmings has some great Help Topics and thought I might incorporate a few on our Help Topic Page. I thought I would start off with a very basic topic -- Wire Splicing.  I will also…Continue

Tags: union, lineman's, western, splice, wire

Classic Cadillac Parts For Sale - Misc Items

Started by Jason Edge in For Sale. Last reply by Jason Edge 11 hours ago. 284 Replies

I have posted a few Misc items over on my Classic Cadillac Parts Facebook page at…Continue

Tags: classic cadillac parts, classiccadillacparts

1963 1964 Cadillac Interior Rear Courtesy Lens Convertible

Started by Frank Murch in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Jason Edge yesterday. 1 Reply

Hi, My lenses in the back seat (1963 convertible) have broken.  I see one set on ebay, but they want a huge amount of money for them (I will make new ones out of acrylic before springing for those…Continue

Voltage regulators???

Started by Thomas Yarri in 1963/64 Cadillac Specific Discussion. Last reply by Tony and Ginny 429 yesterday. 5 Replies

Good afternoon to everyone and Happy Thanksgiving. Does anyone have any idea if these can be serviced or know of where I can acquire a good replacement part. The reason I'm looking is because my…Continue

Blog Posts

1963 & 1965 Distributor

Posted by Martin McKercher on November 9, 2021 at 8:34pm 5 Comments

Hi all
I am looking to have an aftermarket distributor made for these year models.
I have fitted a Holley Sniper to my 63' 390 & want the Sniper to control the timing.

This is in the very early stages so I am looking to see if it is viable.
I understand the purists might see this as sacrilgious but the Sniper has made my car soo much better for me.
I am asking to see if there is any interest?

1964 Eldorado for Sale

Posted by Richard Stanley on October 29, 2021 at 1:41pm 0 Comments

After 26 years as second owner, I have decided to sell my 1964 Eldorado.  Feel free to call me anytime to discuss.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1764798240358992/

Best,

Richard Stanley

213 300-4567

What is the color of this 63 Eldorado - aquamarine or green?

Posted by SK on October 24, 2021 at 2:33pm 2 Comments

Hi, 

I really like the color combination of this 63 Eldorado (sold long time ago by Volocars).

The ad states aqua exterior and green interior but unfortunately there is no pic on the cowl tag.   

Is the exterior color ’Frost aquamarine’ and interior ’Beryl’?

Or is the exterior green, ’Frost green’ and interior ’Emerald’?

-Samu…

Continue

Rochester throttle body gasket

Posted by Phil on September 29, 2021 at 8:18am 5 Comments

Hello,  would anybody be able to tell me if I’m using the correct gasket on my Rochester throttle body? It doesn’t  look right to me.  I’m not sure if the carb actually ran with this gasket because I got it used with no history.  Any help would be appreciated …

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2021   Created by Jason Edge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service